The Backpack

Cape Town, South Africa

I don't understand the hype or why they claim to be the best hostel in Africa. I was traveling there for months and can tell you that is absolutely untrue. While the staff are incredibly nice and helpful, the hostel itself is just your average hostel. It isn't particularly nice, the layout is confusing, and its right on a busy road with loud traffic that keeps you awake at night and wakes you early in the am. Depending on the room you are in, the showers/toilets can be on the other side of

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are sorry to hear that you weren't entirely happy with your stay with us. With regards to the award of Best Hostel in Africa, it is an honour that we have been given from our past guests who believe we deserve it. It is unfortunate that you couldn't of seen what those guests saw. We are happy to hear that you were happy with the services provided by the staff. We hope that you will be able to visit us again in the near future.

Hard Rock Backpackers

Jeffreys Bay, South Africa

Loved this place! One of the best decorated and definitely the cleanest hostel I stayed at while in Africa. But, better than that was the staff... really awesome, genuine people. As must stay in J Bay :)

Neil's a great coo and quite a character! I enjoyed his company. But this is not a backpackers by any means. He's just renting out rooms in his house, in a very residential neighborhood. There is nothing nearby to walk to and you have no access to restaurants or stores. Nor does it have the services that a backpackers would (taxi services, tour bookings, etc) because it's just his home. You absolutely need a car if you stay here.

Pity you were here overnight only... and did not notice the forest drive and local atmosphere. We are 5kms from the city, 6km from the beaches and the same to club and pub land. To students visiting UKZN Univ and training Hospitals, our location is perfect. Our character driver for Game park, mountain excursions, sport and shark diving excursions is Alfred. Our roof top concerts are the bomb and backstage at local concerts and festivals provides insightful entertainment. Depends what you want...

El Viajero - B&B

Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay

This place was nicer than a budget hotel but a bit like a hostel. Very clean and friendly staff. Cutest town ever!! A bit expensive though. My only complaint is that there was no hot water for me to take a shower after my 24 hour bus ride and before the next 7 hour one. Makes me an unhappy and stinky traveler. Sorry if you were sitting next to me on that bus.

Rancho Urbano

Buenos Aires, Argentina

I\'m torn about the staff here. Wish I knew thir names. One was the nicest guy ever and one was the rudest person in Argentina. This place is a healthy mix of low income housing/hostel/cat rescue. And although the common areas are huge, there are sooooo many permanent weirdos hanging around that you\'d rather stroll around the busy street that only has pastry cafes and farmacias. Not located close to anything fun but subte. Yeah! Crapy beds but really clean sheets here.

Tango Backpackers

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The private room with the loft we had was great but not so great after we woke up with rashes the next morning. smells moldy in there too. There were roaches everywhere so def stay here if you like bugs (especially ones in your bed). Also if you like paying a deposit for your sheets that they will keep if you check out late, and if you enjoy staff that don\'t give a crap about their jobs or you (excet mr dreads)... this is the place for you. They organize fun activities for hostel party heads

I Keu Ken Hostel

El Calafate, Argentina

I don\'t remember much of the hostel as I was really sick when I was there but there were extremely friendly and accommodating. Great hostel for jumping around to all the sites in patagonia im argentina. Great vibe at this place.

The staff was very accomodating and extremely friendly... some of the best that Í´ve encountered. They made you feel right at home. They didn´t have any place to lock up your personal items which is important in Lima and my sheets didn´t seem quite clean (but that was just my speculation) and they were sooooooo much nicer than most hostel personnell, that I would definitely go back to see them again.