Reviews: dpliske

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 27

Nice hostel in downtown Lima. The area around the hostel is rather sketch at night and hectic during the day. However, it is walking distance to many of the cities historic sites. I had a good time here and would definitely stay again, but the hostel could use some improvements.

Hostel Pangea

San Jose, Costa Rica

Very cool hostel with lots of amenities and great security. This hostel is very large and the parties seem to go pretty late most nights. Therefore, if you have to get up early the next day then this hostel isn't the best. Also, the crowd was not that great considering how many people were staying here.

Sleepers Sleep Cheaper Hostel

Monteverde, Costa Rica

Very nice family run hostel. It is right in the middle of town and very convenient for shopping and eating. The rooms are spacious and clean and the showers are hot. This place is good value for the money and the rate includes a large and delicious breakfast. The downsides are that there is really no where to hang out besides the balcony, there is not much of an atmosphere here, and you are not really surrounded by nature which is the main reason for coming to Monteverde.

In&basic Hostel Lounge

San Jose, Costa Rica

Very lovely hostel, super clean, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a nice breakfast included as well. The location is not the best, but I would highly recommend staying here.

Mi Casa Hostel Cocles El Tesoro

Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica

This is a pretty cool hostel surrounded by jungle. The dorms are rather rustic and basic which is nice for a couple of days. The guy working the front desk was really nice. However, he didn't really seem to ever be doing anything and the kitchen, rooms, and bath rooms seemed like they are rarely cleaned. The rooms are good value for the money and it is right across the street from the beautiful Cocles Beach.

Mamallena Backpackers

Panama City, Panama

Nice hostel with lots of character and Panamanian flavor. It is a good value for the money It is right in the middle of the city, which is nice but I would have preferred to stay in Casco Viejo. There were lots of other guests here, but unfortunately people were not all that lively.

This is a fantastic hostel located in the very awesome neighborhood of Wicker Park / Buck Town. I took my girlfriend to Chicago for her Birthday and we stayed here for just one night but had an unforgettable time. Our room was very nice and the hostel as a whole was very clean and lovely. The staff is especially very friendly and helpful. They made us feel right at home, especially Olivia, Chelsea, and the guy from upstate New York (sorry but can't quite remember your name). Thanks, Daniel

• 13th Sep 2012
  • Globetrotter

It was awesome having you and your girlfriend stay with us, Daniel. We are happy she had such a great birthday with a great stay! We hope to see you again!

Jeet Villas

Jaisalmer, India

This is my favorite place that I have stayed in India. The staff are all wonderful and very accommodating, especially the young men from the desert villages who work here. The food is excellent and very cheap. The chef Kamal was able to make what we wanted every time. He even gave us some free cooking lessons. The rooms here are all very well decorated and have air con and TV. The only downsides is that wifi does not work in the rooms. I would also recommend their camel / desert safari trips.

• 19th Jul 2012

Sarvar Guest House

Jodhpur, India

This guest house was not as advertised. Our room looked nothing like the picture. It was quite bad and way overpriced. We had to ask for towels and sheets. They did not have toilet paper. They told me that they were out so I would have to go down the street and buy some. The staff was very rude and unhelpful. They tried to push a guesthouse on us for Jaisalmer. We told them no and booked another place. When we arrived in Jaisalmer they had someone waiting for us anyways. Ridiculous!

• 17th Jul 2012

Hotel Everest

Pushkar, India

This is a wonderful hotel. Our room was very spacious, clean, and lovely. We the most expensive room, but only US$19 for ensuite bathroom, balcony with view, couch and table, and a great air con. There are various rooms to suit all budgets. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The food was good, but a bit overpriced. Also, the location is excellent as the town is small and the lake is very close by. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• 14th Jul 2012
  • Globetrotter

This is a very nice hotel. They had someone waiting for us at the train station when we arrived, even though we did not tell them to do so. The rooms are as advertised. They have the best wifi that we have had in 4 weeks while in India. The swimming pool is a nice touch. The included breakfast is great, but the restaurant is quite expensive. The staff is also very friendly and helpful. The downside is the location, as you will have to take a rickshaw to pretty much anywhere you will want to go.

• 10th Jul 2012
  • Globetrotter

What you pay for is what you get, maybe even a little less. The oldest son/manager, Yusuf, has a lot of heart and a strong passion it seemed for running a guesthouse. But unfortunately this place has a long way to go. We stayed in 2 rooms while there, both of which were quite dirty along with the kitchen in the "restaurant." The floors left your feet black from walking on them, toilet seat in both rooms had toothpaste and other grim all over it, etc. The family however were very nice.

This is a fantastic family owned guesthouse. The family/staff are all super friendly and helpful. It has a lot of character with different types of rooms to suite various budgets. The largest room even has air con if you are willing to pay a bit extra for it. The location is good, but difficult to find as it is in the old town of Varanasi. The power went out frequently, as it does in this city but they have a light and fan that are always on as well as the wifi because of the backup generator.

• 2nd Jul 2012
  • Globetrotter

Darling is a wonderful guesthouse. The owners are very friendly and helpful. It is located very close to the downtown, only a 5 minute walk away. The scenery is fantastic and the property is very lovely as well. I would highly recommend a stay here, however, you can stay elsewhere in Pai for quite a bit cheaper if you just show up. Also, I would not recommend eating at the restaurant as the food is not too good and takes almost an hour to prepare.

• 17th Jun 2012

Diva Guesthouse

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Diva is a top notch hostel. Honestly one of the best that I've ever stayed at. The owners/staff are super friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean, fun, and colorful. Also, a good value for your money. The food at the restaurant is some of the best hostel food that I've ever had and it is quite cheap as well. They can also book anything you could possibly want but they are not at all pushy about their tour services. I would highly recommend a stay at Diva.

• 14th Jun 2012
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Baan Nisarine

Krabi, Thailand

This is a very nice guesthouse. Our room was quite small, but nice enough and super cheap. The location in Krabi is pretty good, as it is a small and very walkable town. The husband and wife who own the place are very nice and helpful. However, they were super pushy about taking the overpriced tours. Also, I would recommend staying in either Railay or Ao Nang, as they are way better than Krabi Town.

• 9th Jun 2012

Samui Beach Resort

Koh Samui, Thailand

This is a very nice place. Right on the beach, but a long property that takes over 5 minutes to walk through. Our room was reasonably priced and very nice. The swimming pool is good and the stretch of beach in front of the resort is excellent. The downsides are that the male bartender/server at the restaurant who is always there was very rude to us and the food is quite overpriced as well. I would recommend staying here but eat elsewhere.

• 6th Jun 2012

Green Peace Bungalows

Koh Phangan, Thailand

A wonderful guesthouse. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are cheap and quite nice. They also let you use the kayaks for free. The property is very beautiful, as it is right on the beach. Unfortunately, it is a ways away from the main towns so you will be stuck eating here if you do not want to pay to go somewhere for food. The food at the restaurant is good, but a bit overpriced. I would stay here the next time I am on the island.

• 2nd Jun 2012

Sawasdee Smile inn

Bangkok, Thailand

This is one of the worst hostels I've ever stayed at. Yeah the price and location are good, but that is it. Our room was super cramped, dirty, and dingy. The springs in the bed dug into our backs. The window did not shut so it was very loud because of the street noise and birds nest next to the air con unit right outside the window. We booked fro 5 nights but wanted to check out after the first night and the staff was very unprofessional about it and overcharged us.

• 6th May 2012

King Boutique

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Not a bad hotel, but definitely not the best in Siem Reap either. Our room was quite dingy and the TV is tiny. The staff is a bit strange and not the most helpful. The location is alright, only about a 10 minute walk from pub street, but the street that the hotel is on is quite shady at night. However, the price isn't bad for an air con room with cable.

• 1st May 2012

Diamond Palace Hotel

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This is a very nice and new little hotel. The rooms are quite good with very large bathrooms, but there were lots of ants in the room as well. The happy hour special is great but I would not recommend eating the food. We found tin foil and hair in the lasagna. The staff is rather friendly and helpful. However, they wanted to charge me to make a local phone call and the bus tickets that they sell are way overpriced. It is a nice hotel to sleep in, but in a rather bad neighborhood.

• 24th Apr 2012

Hoang Ha Sapa

Sapa, Vietnam

This is a very beautiful and charming looking hotel. They offer many amenities, however, they are not very nice, not quite as advertised, or nonexistent. The hotel is very cold and there is no heat what so ever. The TVs do not pick up any channels that are watchable. The wifi works some of the time. The staff is often absent from the front dest, with all of the keys lying on the counter. When I asked for my passport back the night before we left they couldn't even find it, but eventually did.

• 7th Apr 2012

Advisor Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

This is a very nice small family run hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful. If you stay here, then make sure to request an even number room. They are much louder because of noise from the street, but they are almost twice the size of the back rooms, have a fridge, and a balcony. All rooms are the same price. We actually stayed in 3 different rooms over the course of 5 nights and they were all pretty nice. Over all, a good value for the price.

• 31st Mar 2012

Valentine Hotel

Hue, Vietnam

This is a very nice hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They offer free drinks and helpful advice/services any time you want. We had a misunderstanding in regards to purchasing some train tickets. The hotel manager Mr. Kenny handled the situation very well and we were quite satisfied with the way things turned out. The rooms are fairly nice, a bit damp, but a good value for the price. I would most likely stay here again.

• 28th Mar 2012

Green Field Hotel

Hoi An, Vietnam

This is a very nice hotel and a great value for the price. Very lovely rooms with flowers and free fruit. The staff is very helpful and friendly. They even brought me a birthday cake to my room on the evening of my birthday. This was a very nice touch. The downside is that they try to push their tour services and they tried to get me to go to Asia Tailors when there are over 200 to choose from in the city. Also, the happy hour drink is pretty horrid.

• 26th Mar 2012

Nguyen Khang Hotel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Very nice hotel. The location is great, as well as the staff. I would most likely stay here again.

• 23rd Mar 2012

Saigon Backpackers Hostel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Not a bad hostel, but definitely not quite as advertised. The room was not nearly as nice or clean as it is pictured. We had to climb 6 flights of stairs to get to our room. They often ran out of some breakfast items. Other than these minor issues, it is a good place to stay with reasonable room rates.

I have stayed in many hostels around the world and this one is definitely at the bottom of the list. The check in/out hours are very limited. When we arrived in the afternoon, we had locker our bags in the station and come back later because they weren't open. When we checked out to head to the airport, we didn't get our deposit back because reception didn't open for another 30 minutes. This hostel is quite gross and was super cold everywhere. It was also a rip off for the price.

I apologize for the unpleasant experience that you had while staying at our hostel. As for the price, our hostel is priced below most of our competitors and I'm sorry to say accommodation prices in Tokyo are double those in Seoul. As for the other problems you addressed I will discuss them with the owner of the hostel and see if there are ways that we can find to rectify them. Thank you for your feedback. Sincerely Asakusa Smile.

This is a fantastic hostel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is great, especially if you will be frequenting Kyoto Station. The price is a good value and the amenities are excellent as well.

Pujangga Homestay

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

This hostel is a very nice place to stay. My girlfriend and I stayed for 2 nights and really loved the place. The owner is very friendly and helpfull. The rooms are reasonably priced and the hostel offers a lot of great services. The location is also very good. I would highly recommend staying at Pujangga while in KL!

Montreal Central

Montreal, Canada

This place is great, good staff, good mates, not bad price, location is good, what an amazing time. I would highly recommend this hostel! C'est bonne!