Reviews: d2amy

Location: England, Gender: Female, Age: 24

Hostelo the New Urban

Montreal, Canada

Great location - only three blocks from Sherbrooke metro. Facilities were great, and the pancake breakfast was yummy - although it is just pancakes and coffee. The one thing that I hated was the fact that I was in an 8 bed girl dorms with en-suite, smaller than the size of my bachelor apartment - i.e. no room whatsoever to move around. Oh, and it was minimum 35 degrees at night, insufferable. I would stay here again but insist I was in a bigger dorm - as I saw that they existed.

• 11th Oct 2014

HI Holandes

Ilha Grande, Brazil

Although the internet and wifi are painfully slow - and I know for some this is a big thing - the hostel is beautifully located about a 5-10 minute walk from the main road in Ilha Grande. Breakfast is great, although some of the staff serving it made fun of me more or less to my face thinking I didn't understand Portuguese. Stayed in a 6 bed girls dorm, it was two levels, with 2 beds and a bathroom on one, and 4 on the other. Floor are loud and do not allow for quiet bathroom use at night.

• 14th Jun 2013

Backpackers House Paraty

Paraty, Brazil

Good hostel that feels more like a house than a hostel - which is very nice. Stayed in an 8 bed dorm, its two three bed bunks, and one two bed. Wasn't too bad, bed was comfortable, but fan and air conditioning didn't work, and the mozzie nets had massive rips in them, or didn't have them at all. For most of the beds, the nets were too close to you for it to cover your bed without touching most of you body, which is very uncomfortable. AMAZING and I mean AMAZING breakfast though. Best in SA!

• 12th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

the fun works, the aircon too. There is nets for everybed, just ask to the staff, like to plug the fun or the aircon if you don't find how. Many people don't use nets, so we have some out of the beds Thanks for your comment, I hope you come back

Casa Tiki

Itacare, Brazil

We had a great time here. Patricia is such a nice person and she´s so helpful with everything you need while in Itacare. Its a super small Pousada, with only 4 or 5 rooms, so you get to know the people staying there pretty well. The breakfast is yummy as well, and the cold drink prices are fair - since youre not allowed to bring your own alcohol into it. We were originally in a room with a shared bathroom, but got upgraded for no charge. The outdoor terrace is great too.

• 5th Jun 2013

Barra Guest Hostel

Salvador, Brazil

This is a great hostel, the staff are friendly and super knowledgable and speak english. The free Caipirinha every night doesn´t hurt either.

• 31st May 2013
  • Globetrotter

:) Thank you so much, it's a pleasure to have travellers like you who makes our job so nice !!

Garden Stone

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

We had a great time here, were supposed to stay for two nights, but we stayed for four instead. The staff were great, although did not speak english so keep that in mind. The outdoor kitchen is pretty awesome.

• 27th May 2013

Terrazas Estoril

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Great hostel, the location is superb and you couldnt ask for friendlier or more helpful staff. The one thing that annoyed me are the bathrooms. The sinks leaked and there was almost ALWAYS water on the floor from this, or from the showers. Also, there ones bathroom where the garbage can is broken AND the seat. In the middle of the night, or after a night out, let alone sober, this is NOT fun. Just fix it, itll take two seconds.

• 21st May 2013
  • Globetrotter

This hostel was not anything special. It had a nice court yard in the back and the rooms were clean. Two things that I did not like were the door to our 8 dorm bed did not fully shut, its winter, thank god I stole other blankets. Second, the main check in room/lobby STINKS. I smells like someone puked and they did not clean it up. Most revolting thing I have ever smelt.

• 20th May 2013

El Viajero - Hostel & Suites

Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay

Its fine, nothing to write home about. I just hate hostel that dont let you check in until check in time, even if only five out of 100 beds are occupied.

• 19th May 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hi Amy!!! How are you? We are sorry if you had a bad moment waiting for the check in, but this has a reason. Our cleaning womens need to clean the room properly for the guests like you find everithing clean and tidy!!! Anyway, thank you for your comment!!! Have a nice trip El Viajero Hostels Staff

Hostel Estoril

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Loved it, its a bit cleaner than Terrazas, but everything else is basically the same. Awesome!

• 17th May 2013

Green House Hostels

Bariloche, Argentina

Such a great place and both are so incredibly helpful and friendly. The only thing, as is previously stated, it is only a 10 minute bus ride into town and the bus does come ever 20 minutes, but when it is cold, THIS SUCKS. Also everytime we were on the bus on the way back we were nervous we were going to miss our stop as its hard to tell.

• 13th May 2013

Hostel Lao

Mendoza, Argentina

The staff are super friendly and they all speak a great level of english so there is no miscommunication. The best part of the hostel is Margarita! The house dog. Shes adorable and so lovely. So if you dont like pets, stay away.

• 9th May 2013

Hostal Víctor

Pucon, Chile

I really liked it for a quiet place. We were supposed to have a room with a tv and a double bed. We ended up getting two bunk beds and no tv and paid the same amount. We werent happy about that.

• 4th May 2013

Hostel Bosque Nativo

Valdivia, Chile

A bit expensive, but we did get a discount and an upgraded room free of charge. So that was awesome! However, the lack of any English understanding proved difficult when trying to organize excursions.

• 3rd May 2013

Newen Kara Hostel

Santiago, Chile

Average hostel. Nothing spectacular about it. Close ish to the metro. SUPER COMFY BEDS THOUGH in the 6 bed dorm!

• 29th Apr 2013

Montreal Central

Montreal, Canada

Loved it!

• 25th Jan 2013
  • Globetrotter

DO NOT STAY HERE. It was rubbish and it was depressing. Not worth it and too far out of the city, take the money you use to get there to stay at a nicer place.

• 5th Jan 2012

SoBo House Brighton

Brighton, England

This place wasn't anything special. Far away from the pier and such. Wasn't that bad, however next time I will be looking for a hostel closer to the action.

• 30th Dec 2011
  • Globetrotter

Hi Amy, We are in the City of Brighton and Hove and just 1.5 miles or 2.4 Km from central club land Approximate Journey times for 1.5 miles. Walking - 22.5 minutes for 1.5 miles - The "average" speed for a normal, healthy individual walking at a steady pace (not speed-walking, but not dawdling, either) is about 4 miles per hour, or 15 minutes per mile. Taxi/Car - 5 minutes / Public Transport - 10 minutes - Rgds, SoBo

Great little place, some staff weren't the friendliest, at least to my mate. Overall great stay and would stay there again. plus only 9 pound.

• 28th Dec 2011

Bounce Sydney

Sydney, Australia

Great location! Close to Central station, even coser than wake up, it's actually like a mini version of wake up to be honest, I like Bounce a lot more though.

• 12th Jul 2011

Perth, Australia

This is not the nicet or cleanest of hostels, it gets bloody cold in the winter, but the staff and people are amazing. Britania will always be my home in AUstralia.

• 7th Jul 2011

Bluewater Lodge

Nadi, Fiji

Great little hostel. Not a party though. Does have a really good place to eat attached.

• 27th Jun 2011

Base Auckland

Auckland, New Zealand

Typical big hostel. Good for the location, bad if you want to make friends.

• 26th Jun 2011

Reggae Guest House 2

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Great place, would totally recommend it and would stay here again in a heart beat

• 24th Jun 2011

Hostel Amigos

Singapore, Singapore

The location is really the only downfall, it's still assessiable, but yea, sort of far to walk.

• 9th Jun 2011

Old Penang GuestHouse

Penang, Malaysia

It was mediocre at best. You did get a free beer when you checked in though.

• 5th Jun 2011

Xayana Guesthouse

Luang Prabang, Laos

I loved this place. Don't know why it's rated so low on here. The only really bad thing about it was that the drains smelt a bit.

• 28th May 2011

Phuket Backpacker

Phuket, Thailand

It was clean and the aircon worked really well, you will wake up in themiddle of the night cold though

• 24th May 2011

A Little Bird Guesthouse

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Awesome place, and you can meet loads of travelers here. GREAT location.

• 24th May 2011

I-Bed

Koh Samui, Thailand

Best hostel I've ever stayed at.

• 11th May 2011

NapPark Hostel at Khao San

Bangkok, Thailand

Super social, and great location. Free internet MAJOR bonus.

• 7th May 2011

Sydney Central YHA

Sydney, Australia

Was good, heard this place was really bad but enjoyed my stay here, very close to central station, and although the rooms are dated the rest of the place is pretty cool. Too expensive for what you get though, but that's YHA for you

Airlie Waterfront Backpackers

Airlie Beach, Australia

Massive 8 bed dorm which was amazing because we had a lot of reorganizing to do with our luggage. Great air con, not a party hostel though, but beaches and magnums is about a 2 minutes walk away!

Parrotfish Lodge

Port Douglas, Australia

Loved it, might be a bit cramped if it ever fills up, great staff and so friendly

Dingo Moon Lodge

Darwin, Australia

Loved it, would stay here again in a heart beat, good air con as well!

Dingo Moon Lodge

Darwin, Australia

Alice's Secret

Alice Springs, Australia

A lot of the younger travelers had problems with the manager, he was great to me, but I was traveling with my mom. Very cute chill out area, quiet hostel out of the main bit, worth the 10 minute walk though.

Backpack Oz

Adelaide, Australia

Alright, have seen better, but apparently best hostel in Adelaide, not sure if I want to see the other ones

Urban Central

Melbourne, Australia

Staff were really unhelpful, well some of them, aka the girls. Very rude to my mom even. Great location though, on the tram to the city, fitzroy and st kilda, and 5 minute walk to southbank, pretty awesome locay for sure

• 10th Apr 2011
  • Globetrotter

Hello, Thank you for replying to the email I sent you regarding your feedback. It is unfortunate that you cannot remember the details of what happened or who your mother spoke to but we will endevour to continue to provide the best customer service that we can. Kind Regards The team at Urban Central.

Jailhouse Accommodation

Christchurch, New Zealand

LOVE THIS PLACE! STAY HERE!!!

• 9th Apr 2011

Albatross Backpacker Inn

Kaikoura, New Zealand

the staff were very friendly and had a great and zoy common area

• 7th Apr 2011

Noah's Ark Backpackers

Greymouth, New Zealand

Cute rooms, although the cat room was a bit weird. The common areas and kitchen had a really awesome homey feeling to it.

• 4th Apr 2011

Chateau Franz Backpackers

Franz Josef, New Zealand

Cute little place. Felt like I was staying in ski cottages.

• 3rd Apr 2011

Absoloot Value Accommodation

Queenstown, New Zealand

Loved it, although the kitchen was WAY Too small. Fridges and TV in every room was a great touch, same with en suite toilets.

• 30th Mar 2011

YHA Lake Tekapo

Lake Tekapo, New Zealand

Best kitchen, has everything times 3! Amazing view from the common area.

• 29th Mar 2011

Jailhouse Accommodation

Christchurch, New Zealand

Most awesome layout of a hostel ever! Staff were superb. Will stay here on my return to CHCH.

• 28th Mar 2011
  • Globetrotter

Great to hear you are planning to be a Repeat Offender! See you soon, Jail Warden.

Brisbane City Backpackers

Brisbane, Australia

Too many room checks, and they really should fix their fire alarm. Was woken up two nights in a row at 12am, for no reason.

• 26th Mar 2011

Perth, Australia

My home for 2 months. I miss it so much!

• 26th Jan 2011

Perth, Australia

I've stayed at this hostel for 2 months and up until about 2 weeks ago I could say nothing but good things about it. But since then people have gotten kicked out and some(not all!!!) of the staff are lying to backpackers saying there are no rooms, or their reservation has been lost in order to get them to check out to have more turn over. The lying is really pointless and really just makes the more long term guests realize that this place actually sucks.

• 25th Jan 2011

Wake Up! Sydney Central

Sydney, Australia

I gave this a high review because it's a great place, although I didn't enjoy my stay because other backpackers basically don't talk to you and look at you as an outsider. I prefer smaller hostels anyways.

• 19th Jan 2011

Asylum Sydney

Sydney, Australia

Great hostel, very homey feel. Not clean though, well not spic and span sort of clean. I really loved it here though!

• 26th Aug 2010

Alegria's Hostel

Bogota, Colombia

We put the cleaning lady through hell here. She didn't like us one bit. But it was a great hostel, although a little cold at times, and the walk up the hill, although it gives you a good exercise gets tiresome. Would stay here again, as long as the cleaning lady didn't remember me!

• 25th Jun 2010

Sunshine Hostel Medellin

Medellin, Colombia

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was only be and my boyfriend, and 3 israeli guys and the owner the whole time. It was a pretty chill place, but it is very Israeli friendly. The owner spoke Hebrew, English and Spanish though all impeccably. No hot shower though, that was a big turn off.

• 21st Jun 2010

Hostel Nucapacha

Guayaquil, Ecuador

It was a little too far away from anything. It was nice for what it was, smelt sort of weird. Nice pool though.

• 4th Jun 2010

Loki del Mar

Mancora, Peru

Anyone and everyone who has stayed at a Loki in South America loves it. I stayed at the one in La Paz and the one in Mancora and loved them both equally, for different reasons. Food is AMAZING here and not that expensive, have the tuna! Great beach access as well. I'd live here if it were possible. Always a party.

• 2nd Jun 2010
  • Globetrotter

There was a HUGE issue with our booking when we arrived here. We fought for about 10 minutes and all the lady told us was there were no rooms, then miraculously there was. It was just nonsense. Stayed here for 2 nights and wouldn't stay again. No breakfast either.

• 30th May 2010

Loki Backpackers La Paz

La Paz, Bolivia

Great bar. GREAT PANCAKE BREAKFAST!!!!! Great times.

• 22nd May 2010

La Posada del Sol

Samaipata, Bolivia

A texan owns this place, and I had the hardest time wrapping my head around it. He was a great guy though, very nice and helpful, felt like he was trying to make a buck though, but really everyone is. Stayed here for two nights and just relaxed. It's a nice little place in the middle of no where Bolivia.

• 10th May 2010

The Adventure Brew Hostel

Great bar. GREAT PANCAKE BREAKFAST!!!!! Great times

• 5th May 2010

Loki Backpackers La Paz

La Paz, Bolivia

Great place. Close to everything. I love Loki! The food here was awesome as well.

• 4th May 2010
  • Globetrotter

IT WAS SO COLD!!!! But Puno is a very cold place. Be prepared to sleep with mittens on. The managers were very friendly though and always made us hot water for tea.

• 30th Apr 2010

Pirwa Hostels Machu Picchu

Machu Picchu, Peru

Good enough place to stay in Aguas Calientes. Really everything is close to everything. It was a place to rest your head and not that expensive.

• 26th Apr 2010

Incama Cusco Hostel

Cusco, Peru

We only moved to this place because my mother got altitude sickness and needed her own room. There was nothing that stood out about this place other then he totally ripped us off on the taxi at 3 in the morning.

• 25th Apr 2010
  • Globetrotter

The only real pain about this place is that when you went to the common areas it got a bit cold because it was so open and made of stone. I had a great time here, especially since Cusco is probably my favorite city in South America. The staff were super friendly and helpful!

• 23rd Apr 2010

Hostel Kokopelli

Lima, Peru

Was only here for about 5 hours, we got in late and had a very early flight. No idea where exactly this was because it was dark and both times I returned to Lima I still couldn't find it. The staff were SO friendly though and ever so helpful! There was a rooftop bar that looked like it could be a happening place.

• 22nd Apr 2010