Loft Hostel

Reykjavik, Iceland

A lovely hostel right in the centre of Reykjavik. It was quite quiet when I was there midweek so maybe not ideal if you are looking for a party hostel. Helpful staff, comfortable beds and happy hour.

A nice apartment in a good location near the town and the supermarkets and a lovely stretch of coast. Good kitchen facilities though could do with a corkscrew and if all the apartments were full of people wanting to use the kitchen equipment there may not be enough plates/cups. No AC but there was a fan.

Firule Center

Split, Croatia

We had a lovely stay in this apartment. We actually ended up in the city centre apartment which is a further walk from the bus/train/ferry but was in a good location. The room was clean and bright and has everything we needed. The only problem was the fact that we walked to the original location only to be moved but in the grand scheme of things that wasn't an issue and probably would have been solved if we had emailed ahead. Angelo and his family were very happy to answer any questions

• 22nd Aug 2013

Apartman Robi

Zadar, Croatia

Really good apartment 10 minutes walk from the bus station and about a 20-30 minute stroll into the centre of Zadar. Nice to come and go as we pleased. No air con and no mesh on windows so you will need insect repellent if you are prone to being bitten. Sleeps four with one double bed and one set of bunk beds.

Dahab Dorms

Dahab, Egypt

This place was brilliant value and a great place to meet people as a solo traveller. The staff, especially Osama and Said, were really friendly and there is a nice bar on the premises. I didn't try the pool as it was a bit cold but its great that guests staying in the dorms can use all the facilities The breakfast was buffet style so you could have as much or as liitle as you like and the location was right in the centre of things.

Dyeing and Hostel Nakashimaya

Kumamoto Shi, Japan

This hostel is brand new and very lovely. The owner and his family are so welcoming, helpful and full of information and the facilities are top-notch with a laundry, shower rooms, fully equipped kitchen, free internet and a great view from the roof. Its a really easy walk from the tram line and you can hire bikes to get around Kumamoto. I stayed here so that I could do a day trip to Mt Aso and it was a brilliant place to stay.

A really lovely place to stay with friendly and helpful staff and very convenient to get to from the tram stop and the station. I didn\'t take advantage but they do walks with locals which looked good.

Lovely hostel but beware that they are shut between 11 and 3 pm so you won\'t be able to get in. Thankfully its a short walk to the peace park so I was able to hang out there. Also easy to get to Miyajima and the main shopping street. Very small kitchen and communal space but that does mean that you will get chatting to people. Also has a beer vending machine.

I tried this just to try a capsule hotel and it was a good place for that as there is a separate area for women but there are no proper doors on the capsules (just pull down wicker blinds) making them quite noisy if people come in late. Good for the experience but a one night only thing!

Nice small hostel near a JR connected station so easy to get around for pass holders. The room was a bit small but as I was only there for one night it wasn\'t a problem. Large communal areas, internet at 30mins for 100 yen and a beer vending machine were all good.

This was a really nice, clean hostel but it was so big that I found it a little bit impersonal. I did enjoy the film nights (Tues, Thurs and Sun) and it was within walking distance of the station which was great. The staff were really helpful and they can sell you bus tickets and help you organise your day.