Reviews: duncanowen4325

Makako Chill Out Hostel

Cartagena, Colombia

Stayed 2 nights in a private airconditioned room. Air conditioning is essential in Cartegena as it is super hot and humid. Aside from the private room there were 2-3 other dorms - 1 had airconditioning (6 bed), 1 just fans (room of 5). There are only 2 shared showers and toilets which is not ideal, particularly when 1 night an extra 8 people stayed on the living room floor. 1 staff member during the day was lovely although the night guy was not friendly at all & hogged the internet terminal.

Marlon's House Cusco

Cusco, Peru

Excellent, helpful staff. Marlon went out of his way to help us with accommodation, lost items, tours etc. The beds and rooms are also comfortable. The downsides are that the hostel is quite cold inside, there are no heaters. Also late at night and early in the morning the phone and doorbell can be quite loud. Would be good if they adopted a quieter night bell. Definitely recommend!

Hello Duncan. Thank you so much for your product review because is helpful for us to improve this little things.We hope you really enjoyed your time in cusco and of course in PerĂº. All the best for you amigos....A warm hug for you. Kind Regards. Atte. Marlon.

Double room was nice and bed was comfy. Staff on front desk were great and helpful with tours. Shower in our room was cold though. Biggest issue is the door bell and phone can be heard loudly in the bedrooms late at night and early in the morning. This needs to be addressed!

Loki Backpackers La Paz

La Paz, Bolivia

A hostel like an old hotel. Definitely a goos place to meet people and party. Tour desk guy was great too. Issues are the wifi sucked, there needs to be some better soundproofing of the bar upstairs and a few social areas added.

Pousada Zumbi dos Palmares

Salvador, Brazil

The lady running the place was nice and helpful. She doesn't speak English though. Breakfast was good, room was freshly renovated and quite nice. Only downside was doorbell was loud in room and we perceived the sidestreets to be a bit sketchy at night. I would recommend though!

Pousada Sao Jorge

Bonito, Brazil

Kitchen area and cleaning staff are very noisy in the morning. Rooms and corridor need to be better soundproofed. Aside from that this is a good hostel, great wifi, warm showers and helpful tour desk. Would recommend...with ear plugs for the time being!

Clarence Castle

Toronto, Canada

For my purposes the Clarence Castle was great. I stayed in a private room and the space was great, in addition to having a nice bathroom. The only downside is that there wasn't much going on and I didn't find the other guests to be too social. But no problems!

USA Hostels Hollywood

Los Angeles, USA

I've stayed at more than a few hostels over the years, and this is equal best in my book. Quite simply; friendly helpful staff, very clean rooms and amenities, comfortable beds, hot water, wifi, great activities, a great social atmosphere and free breakfast! What more can you ask for!

The Backpack

Cape Town, South Africa

Great. THE best hostel I have ever stayed at. Would have been amazing in summer. Pretty pricey during the world cup though.

Two Oceans Backpackers

Cape Town, South Africa

Were charging way too much during the World Cup. Kind of took some shine off staying there. Facilities seemed above average, although a couple of lockers were broken. Didn't have the fun atmosphere some other hostels in the area had.

What to do those prices are back to normal now just one of those things once in a life time. Thanks for the comment guys hope to see you again some time.

Cape Town Deco Lodge

Cape Town, South Africa

Was a really nice place to stay. The only downsides are that it is a short drive out of town and the rooms were really cold. Really enjoyed staying there though.

Ashanti Lodge Gardens

Cape Town, South Africa

Stayed in a private room there and it was great. I would prefer to stay here instead of a hotel anyway of the week. The only downside is that the room was cold and there was no hot water in the morning (ala every single other hostel). One of the best hostels I've stayed at yet.

Lakeview Backpackers

Johannesburg, South Africa

Really nice place to stay, feels more like staying with the good side of the family than hunkering down at a hostel. I wasn't in Jozie long enough to judge a great deal, but the staff are exceptionally helpful and the airport pickup was very welcome. The bar at the hostel is fun although I'd just recommend keeping the noise down after midnight as some of the rooms are very close by.

Fawlty Towers

Livingstone, Zambia

Cool place to stay for sure. Right on the main strip and the staff are helpful. Only stayed a night, but seemed like I could easily stay longer. The only downside to our stay here was the mosquitos! Empty your net over your bed before you go to sleep, you do not want Malaria!!!

Shoestrings Backpackers

Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

Was a great place to stay, just wish they had of cleaned the shower more thoroughly. There was still a ton of hair left in there *urgh*. Apart from that was fun, good bar and very close to town. The only thing is try and get a bed not close to the bar, it would be loud if you wanted to get to sleep early.

Accoustix Backpackers Hostel

Johannesburg, South Africa

I'd just got off a 30 hour flight so I can't be too harsh. The rooms seemed to need a lot of work, and it could do with serious reno. In terms of location it is far from the airport, more to the north-west of jozie I guess. I thought I'd lost my passport when I got there though, but the guy on front desk was extremely helpful. So thanks to him! Was expensive for the world cup and they did charge for the airport transfer, it was a 40 minute drive.