Jordan Tower Hostel

Amman, Jordan

I was going to stay for one night but had to catch a really early flight, so didn't get to experience much. I tried to negotiate a partial refund since I didn't get to actually sleep there, but there was no luck. The staff seemed friendly enough and the beds seemed fine. Didn't use the facilities, though.

Saba'a Hotel

Petra, Jordan

I really liked Saba'a, but they were having water tank issues and there was no water for a little while. Hard to blame them for that, since I'm sure it is a rare issue. The staff was super friendly, the dorm was nice and comfortable and clean, and the breakfast was good. Great location, not too far a walk from Petra.

Hi, Glad you enjoyed your stay. Sorry about running out of water, it is a rare occurrence. As water is so scarce in Jordan, we (as every place in Petra) have access from the mains water only every 2 days and must store water in containers on the roof for when the water is off. This usually lasts, but occasionally if we are very busy or people have had long showers then we can run low. We have just installed another 700litre tank so as not to run out in the future.

This is a nice hotel with their own diving center attached. They charged me an extra 3 JD/nt for A/C. The diving was somewhat expensive, but it was amazing--some of the best I've seen anywhere! The room was clean, only saw one cockroach, and had a nice pool. It is a little far from Aqaba town and requires a taxi to get there (about 7-10 JD).

Mandarin Hotel

Cairo, Egypt

What can you expect for $6 USD a night? I certainly didn't expect much--and that's pretty much what I got. It was a nice, mostly clean room that locked and had it's own bathroom. None of the staff spoke English, so that was tough, but doable. The wifi was down for one of the days and the power went out for about 12 hours too--which was interesting because the hotel is located on the third floor of an old cement building and when the power goes out there are no lights on the stairs. Good for $$

Riad Verus

Fez, Morocco

Beware they charge 45dh/nt tax! There were cockroaches in the bathroom, but they are trying to fix that. The 'activities' are overpriced and they tried to use scare tactics to keep us from booking the same activities cheaper other places. They lost my socks when doing laundry but made up for it by buying me new ones, the lockers in the dorms are so small they wouldn't even fit my computer. The Good: I met lots of cool people, each dorm bed has power, wifi is strong, and free towels and robes!

Aline Hostel

Chefchaouen, Morocco

WARNING: nobody at this hostel speaks English. French is the common language, and one guy speaks Spanish which is how I muddled through. Other than that, nice place! I stayed in May and had an 8 bed dorm all to myself. No lockers in rooms, though. Friendly staff, clean rooms, nice basic breakfast, hot showers. I walked from Bus station and found the place no problem, but the walk was entirely up hill, so be warned. Love Chefchaouen!

Dar Bargach

Tangier, Morocco

This was a great little place inside the Medina. Friendly staff, clean rooms, nice, basic breakfast. I didn't walk to it from Tangier port only because Google maps didn't know where it is--it is literally next to Dar Jameel. If you follow the signs to Dar Jameel in the Medina, you will find it.

Lisboa Hostal

Algeciras, Spain

I really enjoyed my time at Libosa. The owners were super nice, gave excellent directions and recommendations, helped me find my way to both my day trip to Gibraltar and my ferry to Tangier. They even upgraded me and gave me an ensuite room all to myself for free. The only downside was that the directions to the hostel were not terribly clear and there aren't many street signs--but I made it in the end.

Arty Paris

Paris, France

I really liked this hostel. I had heard bad things about hostels in Paris, so I was a little nervous and particular about trying to find a place. This hostel is a good hour walk from the main attractions, but it is in a nice, safe neighborhood, is very close to the metro (if you'd rather not walk), the staff is multilingual and incredibly friendly, the rooms are clean, and the atmosphere is great. The day I arrived there was a free wine and cheese tasting, and it was amazing!

The wine and cheese night was great, that's true! We are glad to know you had a good time staying with us, hope to see you again!

La Posta Hostel and Apart

Ushuaia, Argentina

This was an extremely nice hostel, but a little far away from everything. I thought this would be okay but it ultimately became problematic as I found myself walking or taking a taxi into town every day--which is really quite a long walk. I did, however, love the people, the staff, and the atmosphere here. I stayed at three different hostels during my stay in Ushuaia: Los Lupinos, La Posta, and Freestyle. I liked Freestyle the best.