Location: England, Gender: Female, Age: 28

International Budget Hostel

Amsterdam, Netherlands

We came home one night to find a sign stuck to our door and we'd been moved to a dorm on the top floor. It was past midnight, the occupants of our new room were fast asleep and the top bunk was inaccessible due to other people's luggage. We had to share a single bed. It wasn't the end of the world but I won't return to this hostel. It was handled badly and I'm sure the girls in our new room weren't impressed either. Really awful.

• 20th May 2013

Jetpak Alternative

Berlin, Germany

Amazing time at Jetpak Alternative. The neighbourhood was awesome, the staff were great and the whole atmosphere seemed geared up to helping travellers meet one another, enjoy the city and have a good time. I loved the fuss-free check in, I loved the fact we had iPod speakers and a TV in our room, I loved the HUGE hot shower and massive comfy pillows and decent-sized lockers. The area was absolutely brilliant, too.

• 23rd Mar 2013

Sant Jordi Alberg

Barcelona, Spain

Great hostel, staff were awesome, rooms were clean and comfortable. Despite being packed to the rafters (we stayed during Primavera festival), we never had to queue for the toilets, showers or computers. Great vibe, other guests were just damn cool. Highly recommended.

USA Hostels San Francisco

San Francisco, USA

Terrible area; skirts the Tenderloin which is San Fran's dodgiest district, although we didn't experience any trouble.

Las Musas Hostel

Madrid, Spain

The room was spacious and clean, with lockers to keep your stuff safe. Never a long wait to use the computers or en suites, but we frequently ran out of hot water. Be sure to go on one of the flamenco nights. For €13, the flamenco was excellent, and we got a free drink in a cool cave-like bar full of character. Drinks were dirt cheap and we got talking to loads of other travellers. Gutted we didn't do it sooner. Lone travellers beware - area isn't the best after sunset. Would book again, though.

• 11th Nov 2010

Great hostel! Only book a place in a large dorm if you're up for meeting people and partying hard, otherwise you'd be better off going with a smaller room. Area was perfectly safe, really close to Crimée metro station. I had a great time and met some awesome people.