Location: England, Gender: Male, Age: 31

Check Inn HK

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

This place is small but works surprisingly well. Sitting above a busy road, the double glazed windows very effectively cut out the noise, and the thick curtains shut out the blinding light of the enormous screen across the road. The showers/toilets appeared to be looked after all day, as required for such small wet-room style facilities. The staff had helpful information, and there were plenty of services on offer (printing, local-phone, bookings, etc). For HK, the price was pretty good to.

Green Forest Hostel

Yangshuo, China

Extremely clean and comfortable hostel. This is a big place, but offers great showers, ample comunal space, and a great location. The staff were friendly, but understandably busy given the number of people. I also stayed in a Greenforrest hostel in Nanning, and in both cases I was impressed with how clean and modern these hostels are, with great facilities. I will certainly stay here again if I return to Yangshuo.

Thank you for sharing the experience of journey, I hope you have a wonderful time in Yangshuo, I hope you come again!

I loved this place. The staff are great, the location is perfect, and the communal space was extremely conducive to guests socialising amongst themselves. The wood fired pizza was really delicious, though expensive relative to going out for noodles. My room was comfortable, but the bed, wedged between two walls, was a little short (if you are 190cm plus). The associated cafe down the road is a nice place for a drink. Overall, I enjoyed my stay here very much, and would definitely stay again.

Wada Hostel in Guilin

Guilin, China

Friendly staff, who speak excellent English. The communal space is great, with a bar, pool table, reading room with comfy sofas, and an annex to watch films as well. The dorm room was comfortable and cool, though the attached bathroom was a little tired. Organised onward transport through reception, which went off without a hitch. The market next door is a great place to get really cheap food (2.5 yuan for noodles and pork!), whilst food/drink in the hostel looked fine but overpriced.

A relaxed, modern hostel. This place is clean, comfortable, and has a really nice communal space. The showers are great, and the dorms cool and quiet. The food and drink available are fine, though much cheaper fare if available just outside, particularly at the market around the corner in the mornings. All round, a great place to stay in Nanning.

Casablanca Hotel Sapa

Sapa, Vietnam

Lovely hotel. I had a comfortable room with a great view of the mountains, and enjoyed the included breakfasts. The staff set this place apart. The guys were extremely affable, and went well beyond what might be expected, i.e. I destroyed my walking boots in a complete deluge, but they were happy to clean them and get them dried for me, so that the next day my boots were as good as new; this amazed me. The owner also took me for a small motorbike tour to show me around. Definitely recommend.

Hanoi Lucky Guesthouse

Hanoi, Vietnam

Excellent location, rooms, etc. and a good included breakfast + coffee/tea. Trips can be booked easily. The real standout was the service from the very friendly staff, for example, after my stay here I headed up to Sapa, then got back to Hanoi at 4am and the guys let me back in to sleep in reception and gave me a free breakfast whilst I waited for a trip to Ha Long bay. Three days later, back again, given coffee, and helpful Jack even gave me a lift to catch the bus to the station. Great place.

Lam Bao Long Hotel

Hue, Vietnam

A friendly hotel. As with most hotels/hostels in Hué, this was about 20 minutes walk from the citadel, so the location was not bad, but not better than its competitors. There are some good restaurants and bars just around the corner. The private room I had was clean, and the shower was very good. The staff were very nice, even teaching me some new origami whilst I awaited my onwards train. Bikes can be hired through the hostel for $2.50 a day to explore the nearby tombs.

Hoa My Hotel

Hoi An, Vietnam

I had a private room, which was clean, comfortable, and cool. It's hard to have a bad location in Hoi An, as it is a very small place; this hostel was a 10-15 minute walk from the riverside area. Booking an onwards bus to Hué through reception was cheap and easy. I also noted the staff were busy helping a poorly guy find a doctor, so you should enjoy all the help you need here. Bikes could be hired across the road for $1 a day to reach the beaches. I would stay again.

NgocThao GuestHouse

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

At first it felt strange to walk into a family home downstairs, but this ended up being a strength. The family running this hostel are very hospitable, and were happy to help with all my queries. The beds were comfortable, the air conditioning good, and the showers perfectly serviceable. Get breakfast from the lady straight across the alley; spring rolls and noodles, perfect.

Me Mates Place

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Comfortable beds, good air conditioning, and large lockers which contained power sockets. The ladies working in the bar/restaurant downstairs were cheerful and liked to practice their English. The guys working on reception were useful enough, however I was overcharged by about $8 for a boat trip down to Vietnam that should only have cost $17; this was confirmed to me by the boat operator and my fellow passengers, so you may wish to book trips elsewhere.

The Mad Monkey Siem Reap

Siem Reap, Cambodia

This hostel was well located, and the bar upstairs was a nice place to hang out. The staff were helpful in organising trips out to the temple complex and sorted a very comfortable bus for me down to Phnom Penh. However, they had over booked, and thus were unable to give me the room I had booked through hostelworld. They put me in a 'better' room, but charged me accordingly for the privilege, which was quite disappointing.

Gap Year Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

The dorms were well air conditioned, which is key in Singapore. The beds were comfortable, and the staff on reception were able to help me with all my questions. There is a large municipal swimming pool nearby where you can swim for a dollar, and one of Singapore's many cheap food halls is just down the road. The owner Dennis is a friendly guy, who I sat and chatted with for an evening whilst he provided a stream of pleasant drinks. I would stay here again.

IchiEnSou

Kyoto, Japan

A great hostel. Our host took us an evening walk around historic east Kyoto in which the hostel sits, and was friendly, informative, and laid back. The air conditioning was extremely welcome in the summer heat, and the hostel is tucked away so it is quiet despite its central location. The beds are bunks, which are comfy, and even though I am 1.92m tall, my feet didn't touch the end.