Discovery Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The staff make this place what it is; they really go out of their way. Location is brilliant, two minutes from Gloria metro and very safe. Close to amenities. Al very clean, free filtered drinking water saves money and helps the environment. Showers plentiful. Wifi works a treat in all areas inc the lovely small courtyard. Top place.

Antarctica Hostel

Ushuaia, Argentina

Paula (apologies if I have spelled that incorrectly) must be one of the smiliest people I have come across. She was extremely helpful and demonstrated excellent customer service. The hostel's map with frequently asked questions was great.

Hostel Alamo

Mendoza, Argentina

Soul Kitchen Hostel

St Petersburg, Russia

A fine and well-located place offering good value for money with free breakfast, internet access and international phone calls. The recent heat wave did, however, reveal a significant issue: the temperature exceeded 30 degrees in even the coolest part of the building and there was little or nothing in the way of air circulation or cooling. This made sleeping very difficult.

UB Guesthouse & Hostel

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

The accommodation (in the annexe next door to what I took to be the main operation) was very clean and comfortable with an en suite to the dorm. They can arrange many trips; unfortunately I had already made my plans which were rather more expensive that what UB Guest House could have sorted for me. I recommend you let them get you sorted to see the brilliance of Mongolia.

Han Tang Inn Hostel

Xi'an, China

Quite simply the stand-out hostel of my entire trip. The service was impeccable and well beyond the call of duty (thanks especially to Tom for his PC skills and Kitty); the atmosphere was superb and the accommodation (private room) was of a quality unequalled in any hostel I have ever stayed. Quite how they do it for the money I really do not know; it was four-star hotel level. I cannot recommend the place strongly enough. Keep up the good work guys!

A very lively hostel with huge throughput. The excellent staff are more than up to the task although you might have to be a little patient at times as reception/trip booking desk gets busy. Excellent service, they can arrange lots of trips cheaply and efficiently esp to Tibet. Despite the high level of comings and goings Sim personally managed to remember me and my itinerary. He also went well beyond what I had any right to expect in helping me when I had injured my foot. Highly recommended.

Trippers Carpe Diem

Yangshuo, China

A brand new hostel with hosts who know what a traveller wants. The accommodation was first class (the challenge will be to ensure it stays that way!), the food was good, the location excellent and the service/advice very good.