HI Boston, Boston, USA
8th Sep 2013

This might be the most expensive hostel where I've stayed. It might also be the best -- everything was wonderful... except their wifi connection which is very weak throughout the building and logged me off continuously -- my phone and computer as well as other users' equipment. Nobody seemed to take the problem seriously. I will forgive that.

7.4
23rd Jul 2013

The shower in my dorm room was "permanently" not working --it was dismantled. I believe another dorm room had a similar situation. So we all shared the downstairs shower intended for use when the others are busy. The AC in my dorm room did not work and it became hot. Staff did not take that situation seriously. It seemed that people are LIVING in this place -- staying long-term? Other clientele did not seem to be international travelers. Staff was very friendly and mostly helpful.

Hi Randall, I apologize that we did not communicate what we were doing to fix the problems and were unable to resolve them during your stay. Staff informed the GM about the AC, but our repairman was unable to come out quickly. Since your stay we have had both the AC & the shower fixed. We hope you will give us another chance so you can see the improvements. Your feedback has helped us to improve our customer service procedures. Thank you for your help. Grace Dodier, General Manager

Hostel Meson de Tulum, Cancun, Mexico
6.6
1st Feb 2013

3-4 blocks from the bus station, this place is good enough for a night while in transit to someplace else. There's little to do nearby -- the beach is several kilometers away. The staff was not particularly friendly, helpful, or professional. The facility is not particularly clean -- everything is sort-of sticky, and/or smelly. My 1-sink bathroom was shared with 15 other males and cleaned only once per day. The shared refrigerator is crammed with unmarked, unknown "stuff".

Casa Angel Youth Hostel, Oaxaca, Mexico
14th Jan 2013

Good location. Excellent staff, friendly, helpful, engaged. Excellent common spaces for meeting new friends. I'm staying longer.

Hostel Mundo Joven Catedral, Mexico City, Mexico
10th Jan 2013

This place is a stone's throw from the cathedral and zocalo. The staff is friendly, helpful and engaged. Rooms that open to the front atrium are very noisy, day and night. People come into the hostel at all times of the night and talk loudly, especially (but certainly not only) the staff of the bar/restaurant on the first floor. Noisy! There's supposed to be a bar on the roof, but it's rarely open. Even not at at 5 and 7 pm on a Friday night.??? Hard to understand that.

Thanks for your comments. We apologize for the bar, we were in the middle of a change in administration. It is now opening everyday from 6pm to 1 or 2am (depending on demand). Happy travels!

HI Point Reyes, Point Reyes Station, USA
12th Aug 2012

Awesome. (isn't that word overused? if i could think of a word more superlative i would use it.) Everything about this place is professional and first rate.

6.3
6th May 2012

Noisy in the early morning, late evening, and all day. The owner or manager's family actively use all the spaces and seemed to be having a party while I was there.

Home Sweet Home, Arequipa, Peru
7.4
2nd May 2012

Great location. Nice breakfast on the rooftop. Nice people stay there. Choice of dorm or private room. But I'm not sure they ever clean my shared bathroom -- the same black hairs covered the shower drain when I arrived and when I left, full trash can, out of toilet paper. But still, I would stay again.

• USA,
Kaixo Backpackers Hostel, San Sebastian, Spain
7.7
21st Mar 2011

Extremely crowded when full. Somewhat "under construction". Hot water only on request if you can find somebody to request!

Chicago Parthenon Hostel, Chicago, USA
7.3
2nd Aug 2010

I liked this place, but it's unfortunate that there is only the most minimal and uninviting common room. There is a TV and tiny couch (for 2 people) and a bunch of high stools (no backs) around the perimeter of a tiny room. They claim there is a kitchen, but apparently it is off-premises and also inconvenient to use. I stayed for 4 nights but had no shared conversation with any other visitors.