Location: Australia, Gender: Female, Age: 28

Glasgow Youth Hostel

Glasgow, Scotland

The hostel is too big and completely soulless. No one spoke to anyone in the kitchen or the lounge/common area. In this day and age EVERY hostel I think should have free wi-fi. Glasgow is a really cool place, after speaking to people who stayed at other hostels, the hostels in Glasgow in general need to step up their game and offer more of what makes this town cool in their own establishments.

Inverness Student Hostel

Inverness, Scotland

This hostel has everything you may need and really feels like a home. The staff are so lovely, they really are willing to help however possible to ensure your time in Inverness is the best it can be. The tiny kitchen is great for bumping into your fellow travelers and making new friends.

Hostel One Home

Prague, Czech Republic

Two thumbs up for the staff here! Did everything imaginable to ensure my trip was as enjoyable as possible! The free dinners and nightly events are the perfect opportunity to make friends!

Patio Hostel

Bratislava, Slovakia

Maybe it was just a bad day when I arrived but the staff were really unfriendly and seemed as though they really didn't want to be there. It is in a good location and the free BBQ is a good idea in getting people to mingle but myself and another solo traveler arrived at the same time and we were told there wasn't enough food and were offered no alternative or suggestions. By the time we returned from our meal most guests had left. Good facilities but don't expect to make many friends.

Chillton 2

Belgrade, Serbia

This hostel has a really nice relaxed vibe. Definitely a good hostel to meet other solo travelers while hanging out on the couch. Staff really go out of their way to help you, I needed help getting to my next destination and in finding accommodation and they went out of their way to put my mind at ease. The staff aren't just concerned with your time in Belgrade, but in making the whole traveling experience easier by offering excellent advice. Definitely will stay there again when in Belgrade.

Haris Youth Hostel

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Loved this place! Could have EASILY have stayed longer. A perfect environment for a solo traveler to meet like minded travelers. Long live Sarajevo, long live Haris' Youth Hostel!

Hostel Miturno

Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina

A lot of solo travelers were about when I visited and the fantastic staff did their best to create opportunities for us all to meet through nightly pub crawls and the daily tours. The staff were SO friendly and the place really gives off a lovely family vibe but with a little bit of mischief thrown in for good measure!

Youth Hostel Spasic Masera

Kotor, Montenegro

Firstly I would never call this a hostel, if I had to I'd easily say it's the worst I've EVER been to. No one was ever on the desk, the wifi was pathetic and there was no hot water in our private double. This is student housing during the year but there are still a lot of Montenegrin youths there for the summer so it's not really a place to mingle and socialise.

Apartments & Rooms

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Very basic. It's ok if you just need somewhere to rest your head. Very good location. No matter where you stay you'll be paying too much in Dubrovnik in peak season.

The location was amazing! In terms of the vibe, there was a lot lacking. No sense of community, no events organised to encourage travelers to mingle and the staff were not particularly helpful. We weren't shown to our rooms and if we didn't find it ourselves we wouldn't have even known that there was a common room! That all said, I was willing to overlook all of this because when do you get an opportunity to say you stayed in a part of an ancient palace!

• 22nd Jul 2013

The Drunken Monkey Hostel

Zadar, Croatia

This hostel has a really lovely energy! It almost feels like you're safe, like you're staying with family, but family who encourage you to party! The staff are VERY helpful in making suggestions of where to go and where to eat all you have to do is ask them! I'd stay here again for sure!

Hobo Bear Hostel

Zagreb, Croatia

The friendliest staff ever! Always smiling, happy to give handy hints on how to explore Zagreb on a budget. The common area felt like a hub and it felt like one big family!