NY Moore Hostel

New York, USA

Really liked this place. Staff was excellent and extremely helpful and friendly. Facilities were clean and well maintained. Only caveat: if you're a light sleeper avoid room 103, the 3 bed mixed dorm on the first floor, like the plague. Being directly adjacent to the reception area/front door and surrounded by only thin walls, it's pretty loud throughout the night, as people come and go and chat. I sleep like a rock, so I was fine, but it will no doubt cause sleepless nights for some people.

Naples Pizza Hostel

Naples, Italy

No locks whatsoever on the dorm bathroom doors. Ridiculous when 8 strangers are sharing 1 bathroom. None have toilet seats as weIl. I get the hygiene issues, but super annoying in a private accommodation, especially when the bathroom facilities aren't especially maintained anyway. No A/C and street noise is EXTREMELY loud with windows open. Payment is required in cash, but they do not have any change, which is just...ugh. Kitchen, common areas well maintained. Overall very annoyed by this place

The excellent location and facilities definitely live up to what I've come to expect from HI locations. I felt the cost ($45/night) was a bit steep for a dormitory room, but if you're planning on spending most of your time in Santa Monica, it's probably worth it. If you're more interested in visiting other parts of LA, you may want to consider staying nearer, as LA's public transit is not great. If you have a car, there is a ton of cheap, 24/7 lots in SM (Civic Center Garage is $5/day nearby).

Thanks for a great review! We are happy we met your expectations for your stay and location. Visiting the nearest attractions in Los Angeles from Santa Monica can be a little tough by public transport but it's doable you just need to plan ahead in leaving bright and early. As for the parking thank's for the Tip, $5 for all day parking is definitely a bargain.

AAE Portland Downtown

Portland, USA

Upside: Great location. Steps away from many train and bus lines of Portland's excellent public transit and right in downtown. Downside: Isn't really a hostel. It's a 1 bdrm aprt in a hotel with 10 cramped beds. The bedroom alone had 6 beds in it. I had to climb over someone to get in and out of my top bunk. The bunks themselves are not sturdy, squeaking incessantly from just normal breathing. It was clean enough, but the bthrm looks like it has some H20damage/mold issues. Was told being fixed.

Posada San Francisco

San Juan, Puerto Rico

This is hands down one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. The building is simple but beautiful, the facilities are impeccably well maintained, and the staff was wonderfully helpful and friendly. I and my travelmates stayed in a private room all three nights there. The rooms are well set up and roomy. A/C is a huge plus. Others staying there were similarly warm. Excellent atmosphere all around. Can't say enough good things about this place! Wouldn't hesitate to come back.

Rincon Inn

Rincon, Puerto Rico

I and two others showed up right at the time I had set when making the booking and before the office was supposed to close, but absolutely no one was there, no key was left for us, and the place was dark. I met two other travelers who similarly had made reservations and arrived to find no one there earlier in the day. Rincon is not a 24/7 town, so we had to scramble to find another place to stay. Owner called back 3hrs later. Offered apology and refund. Wouldn't even consider staying here again.

Staff was fantastic, accommodations were solid, and the other travelers were fun. There are a lot of good restaurants around and the proximity to Union Square and public transportation is great for the price of a bed there. Some reviews were concerned about the neighborhood: there are quite a few homeless people and panhandlers in the surrounding neighborhood, but I never felt unsafe walking around, even at night. Of course one should be smart and vigilante, as in any big city.

Elements Hostel

San Francisco, USA

This is definitely more of a superbasic hotel than a hostel. While it has the good parts of a hotel (very clean, ensuite bathroom and cooking facilities), it lacks all the good parts of hostels: common rooms, other travelers, character. The rooftop terrace was closed for renovation while I was there, but the interior is very sparse and neutral beige toned. Some people will love it for these reasons; some will not for the very same reasons. Just know what your getting into.

The New York Loft Hostel

New York, USA

The staff was absolutely fantastic. I've nothing but good things to say about them. (His name escapes me at the moment but the one guy's fondue was an absolutely fantastic treat. Kudos to him). The only negative comment I have is about security. I noticed that there was a door access swipe thing on the outside door but no matter what time I came back to the hostel (whether it was 4 am or 4 pm) the front door was always open. Other than that I had a fantastic time.

Koa Wood Hale

Kailua-Kona, USA

I've stayed at better; I've stayed at worse. Security definitely needs improvement., though. The only lockers available are only accessible with a key from the office, and the office is only open 8-12a and 5-8p. Having to track down an employee and only during office hours just so I don't have to leave my valuables out all day is incredibly irritating. It wouldn't be a big deal if all of the room and building doors leading to the street weren't perpetually propped open and left unlocked.

Thank you for your feedback. Koa Wood Hale does have security cameras throughout the property, a neighborhood watch program, staff team that resides on-site and a record for zero theft. The lockers are available to store your valuables and when necessary, a lock provided by the hostel. Guests may use their own lock to avoid schedule conflicts. With our reputation for a safe neighborhood, the screen doors do remain open to allow for air circulation with our tropical weather. With the proper precautions in place, we have yet to have any problems. Thank you for your concerns. Aloha!