Reviews: mariaredlynx

Location: Russia, Gender: Female, Age: 32

Die Wohngemeinschaft

Cologne, Germany

Extremely wide and comfy beds, you wouldn't want to get out of them :D Very clean toilets and showers. A microwave in the common area would be nice (and anything entertaining really). Using key to operate the elevator was pretty cool :D As for the location, it took me about 30 mins to walk with a heavy suitcase from Hbf. Plenty of good bars and places to eat around. Some of the furniture in the halls and in the bar downstairs reminded me of the 'glorious' soviet times...

• 28th Jun 2014

Liège Youth Hostel

Liege, Belgium

A bit far from the center of the town but a pleasant neighbourhood. Enormous courtyard with a big screen and table tennis tables. Shower and sink area in a dorm doesn't have a door so it's quite loud if you want to use it when other people are asleep. Stuff are super friendly, especially the chief-cook :) BBQ was mmmmm delicious. Wifi only works downstairs but is decent. Breakfast includes ham, cheese, fruits etc. (besides normal stuff). All in all a very nice place to stay!

• 26th Jun 2014

Astor Victoria

Can't say it was the best experience. The check in time took about 1,5 hours, first the computer at the reception was "slow", then the staff couldn't find me a spare bed in the 8 bed dorm and went checking every bed tag and every guest for about an hour in total. I felt pretty nervous considering it was happening around midnight. They then asked one guy to move to another dorm to fit me in, very confusing. Wifi wasn't working at all, the dorm was tiny. Aside from that - rather clean and warm.

• 26th Sep 2013
  • Russia

Only stayed for a night. The staff was very nice and let me stay in the common room/kitchen after I checked out. Wifi wasn't working but I kinda got used to that while travelling around UK and survived with unlimited internet on my phone. The bathroom in the dorm was like HUGE, you could basically put another bed there )) All in all a very pleasant stay, would deffo stay again (and recommend) if I come back to Birmingham.

• 25th Sep 2013

St Christopher's Camden

Nice and helpful staff, plenty of stores and bars around. Well, it's Camden and it says a lot! :) Probably not a good choice if you want to have a good rest because the music and the crowd downstairs in the bar won't really give you a choice but to join the party. But then again you wouldn't stay in Camden if you wanted to get to bed early. Apart from that the hostel is very clean, showers and toilets are good, dorms are rather spacious. Note:no common kitchen, only a microwave in a common room.

• 20th Sep 2013

Top-Hostel

Moscow, Russia

This is a very nice place for those who just need to have a nice rest/sleep. It was extremely quiet at any time though the 10 bed dorm I stayed in was full. One bathroom somewhat fancy Superb location in the centre of the city just 7 min walk from a metro and railway stations. Very clean. Stuff can hardly be seen but they are friendly, I was allowed to check in at 5am and got a bed, that was very nice of them!Prepare to call the hostel by phone upon your arrival cause you need a code to get in.

• 13th Jul 2013

Isaacs Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

The location is perfect - near the bus station and a short walk from the city centre. The surroundings on the contrary are not so good: there were always some drunk people (not guests) in the lane, urine odor and it felt unsafe to pass by. BUT it was the only problem to be honest. In all other ways this hostel is just perfect with amazing staff and very positive atmosphere! Highly recommend.

• 2nd Jun 2013
  • Russia

Thanks for your great review. It actually is safe in the laneway - we have never had any incidents so don't worry about that. So glad you enjoyed your stay.

Globetrotters/The Townhouse

Dublin, Ireland

This felt more like a hotel than a hostel really! High ceilings, framed pictures on the walls, large nicely draped windows, gold framed mirrors... Very comfortable beds with individual lights. The staff is excellent and treats guests like celebs :) Students though may find lack of a "party atmosphere" here. But this hostel has class, oh yes it has!

• 1st Jun 2013

Bru Bar & Hostel

Cork, Ireland

Location is very good - just across the bridge from the bus station and 5 minutes walk from the train station. Staff is very helpful and friendly. A 4 bed dorm was very simple and rather small, but it was clean, ensuite bathroom, bunk beds not squeaky, so what more can you wish. The common room practically serves as a canteen only as everyone hangs out in a bar (with live music) on the ground floor. All in all a good value for money, will definitely stay again if I come to Cork.

• 29th May 2013

Isaacs Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

Superb location - just round the corner from the main bus station. Extremely helpful stuff, every one of them really! I had some problems with wifi and it worked better in the basement for some reason, but that was the only downside. Very clean everywhere (but the kitchen obviously, but it's only the guests' fault). Shower is hottttt! :) Many common places to hang out on the ground floor and in the basement. Highly recommended!

• 25th May 2013

Hostel Jazz

Minsk, Belarus

The place was crowded with scout kids while I stayed there, this was probably the reason why the cleanliness at the moment was not that good. It takes 20 min by tram to get from the Central Station, the neighbourhood's not very picturesque, but safe I guess. Well-equiped kitchen (which is also a common room), decent wi-fi, friendly staff, free sheets and a towel, extremely warm inside (which is good!). A TV in the kitchen would be nice. All in all I'd probably stay again.

• 5th Jan 2013
  • Russia

It was my second time to visit Stockholm and this hostel was way better than the one I stayed in the previous time. The location is excellent, breakfast and linen included (!) 28 bed dorm was actually ok, not noisy at all and much space. The main kitchen has a divine view on the water. The staff is very helpful, and the russian staff is super-friendly. Probably the only negative side is that there are a lot of stairs, rather steep. I will definitely stay again and recommend it to friends! Thanks

• 1st Aug 2012

HelloBCN Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

It reminded me of a prison a bit (probably due to the lack of colours in the hallways and dorms), also very little space in dorms. The common room is the loudest I've been too, everyone is literally shouting during the whole evening until 00.30 when the crowd moves to a bar. Had to stay downstairs cause wifi wasn't good enough in my dorm, and the noise was a real torture. As for pluses:good breakfast, helpful staff, all premises are very clean, quiet and safe neighbourhood. Best for party-goers.

• 25th May 2012

Casa Babylon Backpackers

Malaga, Spain

Casa Babylon is a very nice place to stay. After 12 hostels I've been to this is the first one that really felt like a home. A very cosy atmosphere, several common places in the open air and inside, remarkable interior and exterior and an adorable fluffy dog. Supermarket is only 3 min walk and not far away is beautiful Placa de la Merced with many very nice cafes and Picasso Birthplace Museum. I'd also recommend Pancho walking tours as a nice way to get the first impression of Malaga.

• 22nd May 2012

City Backpackers Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

What disturbed me about the hostel is that most of the dorms, the common room and the kitchen are situated in the basement and don't have windows. It also lacks atmosphere and vibe. The reception area is pretty cool, but the other rooms are rather plain. On the other hand it is very clean and security is at a high level.

• 21st May 2012
  • Russia

Hi there, I'm sorry you weren't fully happy with your stay here. We are very content with our property, especially with the fact that we have a lot of space below ground level. This makes our rent a bit lower, and for that reason we are able to offer such reasonable prices, in spite of our top location in downtown Stockholm. A lot of hostels and hotels in this area have rooms with no windows, but most of our rooms actually do have windows - they are just high up near, or in, the ceiling. When it comes to atmosphere and vibe, of course it's completely individual what people like, so I'm not going to say you are wrong. However, I love the atmosphere here, personally, and we all work very hard to create "the City Backpacker vibe"! But it's true that we keep the dorms quite plain. There's a reason for it. We don't want our guests to spend to much time in the dorms - we want them to hang out in the common areas. Because when they do, they get to know each other, and our guests are so lovely so it would be a shame not to meet them! When everyone is mingling in the kitchen and the sauna, not to mention our courtyard in the summer, that's when you really feel the City Backpacker vibe. Perhaps, since you stayed only for one night, you missed it. Kindly Lena

Tallinn Backpackers

Tallinn, Estonia

I came here with a group of friends who had never stayed at a hostel before and everyone was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere and cleanliness of this place. My only tiny complain was that there were no hooks for clothes in our private room. Nevertheless 100% for Tallinn Backpackers as usual (that was my second time there and I will stay again).

• 7th May 2012

Hostel of the Sun

Naples, Italy

I can easily see now why this hostel is given so many awards. It's probably the best I've been to so far. I cannot help repeating about superhelpful and superfriendly staff, clean and spacious rooms, substantial breakfast, nice common area, home atmosphere... The only one tiny shortcoming was that the microwave didn't work (but there is always a stove after all). And as for Naples itself - the devil is not so black as he is painted. I loved it a lot!

• 5th Jan 2012
  • Russia

It's such a pity we only stayed there for one night, but I still can give excellent marks for everything in this hostel. It's clean, secure and fun, everything a backpacker needs. And you can still use all the facilities after you check out , that's huge. I loved the atmosphere and would definitely stay here my next time in Riga.

• 31st Dec 2011

Ecohostel Andromeda

Gent, Belgium

Staying in this hostel was a unique experience for me. I felt like home the second I arrived. It looks a bit hippy from outside, but is very modern and comfortable inside. The owners are very friendly and their pets, a dog and a cat, are adorable. A very wide range of jams among other traditional stuff for breakfast. There's a key card access to common room and the dorms, so security is ok too. I loved my staying here and will certainly recommend it to my friends.

• 26th Apr 2011

Snuffel Backpacker Hostel

Bruges, Belgium

Well, those infamous showers... were actually fun, despite the staircase with tiny steps. The hostel is very clean, though the toilets, the sinks and the showers all situated in different places is not very convenient. I had an amazing view at an old church from my window. The backyard and the kichen are nice. One computer in the bar which is always crowded with people including locals. The staff is very friendly and helpful ready to give useful advices. I enjoyed my stay there. Thank you!

• 24th Apr 2011
  • Russia

The location is decent, not very close to the city centre, but reachable by foot. There are showers and sinks inside the dorm, but toilets in the corridor which is not very comfortable, but ok. The breakfast is just something - SO much food, including ham, cheeze and apples. Kitchen is open only in the evenings. The security is very good, you can't get anywhere without a key card. The yard with a fountain is very nice. The staff is friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay here again.

• 23rd Apr 2011
  • Russia

hello we thank you very much for your comments and we wish you good times in the HI hostels around and hopefully see you again next time in jacques brel HI hostel best regards phil

Было классно, но в баре не было пива. Еще в туалете шумела вода немного.

Great location: 5 min walk from bus and railway stations, In the old town Riga. Beds are good and quiet. It's a pity there was no beer at the bar when we stayed there. Dorms and bathrooms are clean, hot water in showers. The staff is very helpful and friendly, girls speak russian and english. And Riga is a beautiful city, I liked it much more than Tallinn. It's wonderful in winter and I'd love to return here in summer. I can also recommend Depo bar just opposite the hostel.

• 6th Mar 2011
  • Russia

Hey, the beer is back and tastier than ever. Come back in summer and the first beer is on me... Happy travels

Tallinn Backpackers

Tallinn, Estonia

I had no doubt about giving 100%rating to this hostel. This place is unique and the best I stayed at so far. It is very clean in dorms, bathrooms, kitchen and common room. The staff is very helpful and concerned about entertaining the guests. Situated in the Old Town where there are lots of places to eat, drink and have fun. Supermarket is only 5 min walk. Every night at the hostel is a party and at 11pm starts the pub crawl. So after 11pm hostel is very quiet if you need it. I'd love to return!

• 3rd Jan 2011

Hostel Baccarat

Nice, France

By and large, the hostel was ok. Pluses: 5 min. walk from the railway station, very friendly and helpful staff, big dorms, 1 euro spaghetti parties (tasty!), nice common area and a kitchen, an elevator. Minuses: 20 min. walk to the beach, slow internet, dorms not always very clean (but this maybe due to untidy neighbours), only cash accepted, no breakfast included.

Plug-Inn Boutique Hostel

Paris, France

This was my first hostel to stay in and I liked it very much. All the staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms and wc were clean, the breakfast was more than enough. Internet was quick and I didn't have to wait in line. The location is only 3 minites walk from metro Blanche in Monmartre where some Sandemans tours start. An inexpensive supermarket just 2 minutes walk. I will definitely stay here the next time I come to Paris.