Reviews: Lastyear

Location: Canada, Gender: Male, Age: 23

Some of the wooden lockers provided in the dorms had broken hinges and doors, wifi didn't work in rooms, no communal kitchen, beautiful chill area and decent food. Perfect location! Could walk to the bund, french concession, yuyuan gardens, peoples square, and very near subway station. Tricky to find!

• 27th Jun 2014

Capsule Inn Kinshichou

Tokyo, Japan

Lockers were skinny and tall so they didn't fit my backpack. Shared bathroom facilities were adequate but small. Bathrooms were clean but the ceiling looked like it was falling down. Location was kind of far from the best parts of tokyo but its very near the metro station and airport line. Staff were great, the communal chill area (only place to charge electronics and get wifi) wasn't very comfortable.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Globetrotter

One of my favorite hostels that I stayed at over 3 months! I was given a recommendation from a previous hostel owner and I'm glad I found it. Its located on top of a hill very near to a temple. At night from the chill space (which is so comfortable) you can see the surrounding houses on the hills with all their little lights. The staff were very accommodating and spoke great English! I hated leaving this place so much.

• 18th Jun 2014

1166 Backpackers

Nagano, Japan

What a fantastic place to stay! Spent most evenings chilling with the English speaking and accommodating staff who introduced me to a bunch of locals. The place itself is beautiful traditional Japanese styled rooms. The hostel is located close to the main temple, great coffee shops, cool restaurants, and grocery stores. If you go to Nagano you have to stay here!

• 11th Jun 2014

Guesthouse Ochakare

Kanazawa, Japan

Very neat place to stay. Felt very homey and the communal kitchen was incredibly spacious packed with all the things you could need to self-cater. The owner was extremely friendly and willing to impart her wisdom. She spoke great english! The guesthouse is close to the train station but in the opposite direction of the sites although you can walk to them if you are fit.

Guest House Kyoto

Kyoto, Japan

Easy to get to on foot from train station and very clean place. They had nice bikes to borrow and the staff were friendly. The kitchen facilities were very cramped and so I didn't really use them. There are better places to stay in Kyoto!

Hotel Chuo

Osaka, Japan

For getting a private room the price is pretty incredible here. Very near the train station and with the bikes provided I could easily get to the attractions I wanted to. There was a stain on my bed sheets and what looked like blood on the shower room walls. Staff were gruff and the communal room wasn't very comfortable. This place could definitely use some renovations!

Sen Guesthouse

Matsuyama Dogo Spa, Japan

My favorite place that I stayed in Japan. The two staff members are so accomodating and ready to share their knowledge and love for Shikoku island. They gave a great recommendation for a day hike to temple 54 and 55 of the 88 temple pilgrimage. Beautiful traditional japanese dorm room and showering facilities. The hostel itself is located very near to dogo onsen. I forgot to mention the beautiful communal kitchen and the rooftop swing/hammock/picnick table area to watch the sunset!

• 29th May 2014
  • Globetrotter

Very nice hostel located in walking distance from the train station and some of the good attractions. They provide nice bikes which are an easy way of getting everywhere. My room was real nice with a balcony. The communal chill and kitchen spaces were very nice except they lacked windows and natural light. Staff were great and greeted everyone with a smile.

• 26th May 2014
  • Globetrotter

What a beautiful little hostel! Located in walking distance of the train station, beautiful canal bridges, temples, china town, and downtown Nagasaki I loved this place. Neat and clean traditional Japanese facilities. The small kitchen was perfect for making food and the communal chill space was nice to relax in the evenings. Staff were friendly and there was lots of information on what to see and do posted on the walls of the hostel.

• 24th May 2014
  • Globetrotter

Stayed for one night and all I can really say is the space is cramped and the walls are thin. The staff were super friendly.

• 23rd May 2014

U & I Guesthouse

Jeju Island, South Korea

Location is good, right next to the city hall which has bus connections to most place on the island or busses to the main bus terminal. The staff were extremely friendly and excited to help me plan my next days adventure. They booked a taxi once and a hostel for my next few nights.The basement communal chill zone and kitchen were beautiful and the breakfast in the morning was great.

• 17th May 2014

Indy House

Busan, South Korea

My favorite South Korean hostel! Great location seconds walk away from one of the beaches. The rooftop communal chill space and kitchen was incredible. Very spacious and comfortable. Rooms were spacious and each had a shower and metal lockers to put valuables in. I would highly recommend this place! Staff were very friendly and accommodating.

• 13th May 2014

BoA Guesthouse

Seoul, South Korea

What a fantastic place to stay! Everytime I walked in and out the front door the staff would greet me with a smile. The kitchen area is spacious and has everything a self caterer would need. The rooms are however kind of cramped and the ensuite shower in my dorm was just inches from where I slept which was an issue. Otherwise this place was great! Located very near to the subway and the airport express.

Happy Dragon Hostel

Beijing, China

The owners were gruff but helped with any questions I had. The location is right in the middle of town and the most popular tourist street. The last night I stayed there they moved my stuff to another room across the street cause they said they had forgotten that I was staying another night and they needed my other room for a big group coming in. Normally I would have been livid but the new room they gave me was even prettier so I wasn't mad.

Happy Dragon Courtyard

Beijing, China

Beautiful traditional chinese style. The dorms are around a big courtyard with the bar and restaurant. The staff were very friendly. A bit hard to find though it is close to the subway station and is in walking distance to the hutong.

• 30th Apr 2014
  • Globetrotter

The train station pick up is great as the station is out of town. Staff were very friendly and helped me find a plane ticket to beijing. The chill space isn't very chill and there is no communal kitchen. The owner was totally rude. They advertise a camel ride journey that is way more expensive than some others offered in town.

• 27th Apr 2014

Lanzhou Huar Youth Hostel

Lanzhou, China

What a neat building in an up and coming art district. This converted warehouse has a cool open air chill space with glass panels on the floor that you can see the hallway underneath. The rooms are spacious with metal lockers available. The only hard part is finding the place as its tucked away in a gated art district! One of the staff members speaks real good english.

• 24th Apr 2014

Han Tang Inn Hostel

Xi'an, China

Okay location, great staff, okay rooms (had a bad night cause one of my roommates was throwing up all night), no chill space.

• 22nd Apr 2014
  • Globetrotter

What a cool place! The art district surrounding the hostel on the hill is so beautiful. The old district of Nanjing is within walking distance and the staff were really helpful.

• 18th Apr 2014
  • Globetrotter

Located very close to the train station. The beds were hard as rocks, the staff were friendly, the food they made was good, and the chill space was really nice. The walls are kind of dizzying with all the written graffitti (you'll know what I mean when you see it) but still kind of cool.

• 15th Apr 2014
  • Globetrotter

Some of the wooden lockers provided had doors hanging off the hinges or hinges broken. The building had a cool courtyard and winding staircases and a real nice chill space. The food available for purchase was real good. Wifi only works in the chill space and they don't have a communal kitchen. The location is tricky to find but amazingly well situated. I walked to the bund, the old town, and the french concession without using the subway.

• 11th Apr 2014

Hostal Varayoc

Machu Picchu, Peru

This hostel was difficult to find yet close to the train station due to a tiny sign nestled in between many massive signs. The place had next to no character and was very expensive for what you get though I'm pretty sure everything here is expensive due to the town running on tourists. The place was safe and decently clean but I wouldn't stay here again if I had the choice. If you just need a bed and don't want to meet anybody then you can get away with staying here.

• 19th Nov 2010

Hostal Chaska Wasi

Ollantaytambo, Peru

What an incredible place! Hammocks and a rooftop view of Inca ruins is a great place to start. The owner of the place, Kathy, was incredible to. One morning she took us to the traditional baker where she bought the bread for breakfast hot out of the oven. The hostel was colorful, great relaxing open tv room, easy to find, and full of great people. This was one of my favorite places to stay in Peru!

• 17th Nov 2010

Hostel Kokopelli

Lima, Peru

One of the best experiences I've had in a hostel! Every single staff member was enthusiastic and willing to help point out the good places to see and tips for safety etc. The rooms were clean, colorful, and filled with great people. The rooftop bar was just as amazing as the rest of the place also (breakfast too was great also). I would go back in a heartbeat!

Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hard to find exactly where it was. The locals don't all even know where it is because its on such a tiny street. Close to the train station but not that close. The beds were great, breakfast was good and it was right near the beautiful vondelpark which was awesome! The bar was empty the whole time and the people consisted of extremely young kids. I'm 19, so if I find things young, then trust me, they really are young. Extremely clean and friendly staff.

• 23rd Aug 2010
  • Globetrotter

The location is almost too good to be true! When they said right beside the train station we didn't think it would be RIGHT BESIDE it. Staff were awesome, though this isn't a hostel but a cheap hotel. Met few people but the rooftop bar was amazing. Very cheap and beautiful! I would stay here again.

• 19th Aug 2010

Jaeger's Munich

Munich, Germany

Super clean and a fantastic location! It's on a street right beside the main station with a bunch of other hostels. Cheap food is just around the corner with everything a walk away. Cool atmosphere and extremely clean and good price. Breakfast was not so good and kind of expensive. Drinks at the bar however, cheap cheap cheap! And a free shot with checkin!

• 15th Aug 2010

Balmers Herberge

Interlaken, Switzerland

This has to be my favorite hostel of my most recent euro trip. Balmer's was everything and more that I could wish for in a place to stay. Beautiful surroundings, fantastic food, homey atmosphere, clean rooms, with a great bar. Its close to everything as Interlaken is a small town. The staff were fantastic and it was very easy to find once I hopped off the train. The free breakfast was also great! I will come back if I have the chance!

• 12th Aug 2010

FIAP Jean Monnet

Paris, France

Clean, beautiful modern design, but kind of in the middle of no where regarding the main train stations. It is however close to the metro which made things easier. This is more of a budjet hotel then a hostel so you miss out on meeting people. The staff were incredibly friendly and the breakfast was decent. The price also was a bit expensive but I didn't expect much being in Paris. Great place if you want a hotel experience.