Reviews: GBODonnell

Location: England, Gender: Male, Age: 25

HI - Austin Hostel

Austin, USA

I stayed here over the F1 weekend. It's a really nice, clean hostel in a nice part of town by the lake. The staff were friendly and helped me get to grips with the city. The location of the hostel isn't ideal as it is a bit of a walk from downtown, however the walk along the river is pleasant and there are frequent bus routes to downtown which are all very cheap. I wish I could have stayed longer and got to see more of the city.

Tallinn Backpackers

Tallinn, Estonia

Really great hostel. When I arrived I was told the best things to see in Tallinn by Ben and they didn't disappoint. There's a happy hour where beers are cheap and that's a really good way to get the guests of the hostel together and talking. There are links with the other hostels so that there are opportunities to party with other guests, and take part in tours. If I was back in Tallinn then I'd definitely stay here again.

Hostel Erottajanpuisto

Helsinki, Finland

Quite a nice hostel, although I found it to be quite difficult to get to meet other guests. The staff were friendly and helpful which helped me get the most out of my time in the city, especially the food recommendations! The location is superb being close to the centre of Helsinki, and it wasn't too far to walk to the ferry either.

City Backpackers Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

Best hostel I've been to in a long time. The standard features of a good hostel are present: clean, good lockers, friendly staff etc, but it's the small things which make the biggest impact for me. Firstly there's free pasta in the kitchen, which gets a lot of people cooking food and talking and fosters community. Secondly I enjoyed the free Swedish film nights because they were good fun and educational about Swedish culture. The paid breakfast is big and filling!

Hello! Glad to hear you enjoyed the pasta and the film nights, and you are right, the cooking does seem to get people talking to each other. Welcome back! Ellinor CBP

Anker Hostel

Oslo, Norway

Not the worst hostel that I've stayed at although not the best either. There are no lockers for bags in the dorms, and the wifi signal is very weak also. However the location is good for getting downtown or to the station, and it is close to an area with bars and restaurants. You have to pay for sheets and baggage lockers which a bit much. However the other people in my dorm were really nice, and having a kitchen in the room helped us get on well as we cooked a meal!

Room007 Ventura Hostel

Madrid, Spain

Wonderful hostel in a superb location near Sol. The rooms were comfortable and the events that the hostel put on are really fun. I went for Tapas on a tour led by Pablo which was really authentic and I met some other nice travellers. Also the other staff in the hostel were a pleasure to be around (I forget their names though, sorry!), good international mix from countries like Spain, Brazil, Venezuela. Staff made a great effort. No doubt, I would be back staying here if I return to Madrid.

No complaints about this hotel. I travelled to Avila by train, and the hotel is very conveniently located less than 5 minutes walk from the station but also very close to the centre of town. All the staff could communicate very well in English and were pleasant. I had breakfast at the hotel which although quite expensive at €6 per person was worth it because there was a great selection of cereals, breads, meats, cheese, drinks etc. Avila is a beautiful town and this was a good base for my trip.

Erasmus Home

Salamanca, Spain

A great hostel in a superb location for getting out and about to see Salamanca. The hostel was very quiet but that's because I was travelling at a quiet time of year. They are linked up with a cafe which is where you get the free breakfast, which is a good place to meet other travellers if like me you are travelling by yourself. I appreciated the large lockers in the room and good wifi. I loved Salamanca and if I return then I would stay here again.

U Hostels

Madrid, Spain

On one hand I can't fault the hostel for being modern, clean, having nice facilities, and a satisfactory complementary breakfast. However when I arrived to the hostel, the woman on the front desk was so rude. When I arrived it was quiet and she was reading her phone, but when she took me passport to check she just continued to read her phone for another 2 minutes before looking at the passport! Very poor treatment. IN GENERAL I didn't think the staff seemed that friendly or gave much effort.

Dear Guest, we are really happy that you loved our modern, clean and great hostel! In addition, I would like to apologize for what happened at your check in. I can assure you that this was something exceptional and it will never happen again. All our receptionist are very nice and treat our guest very nicely, giving them a warm welcome to all of them. Next time you come to U Hostels, you will find really nice smiling staff helping you in everything you wish for sure

M Montreal

Montreal, Canada

This hostel was fantastic. The staff were really helpful, giving some good ideas for things to do in the city, and helping me plan some time outside the city. The location is very close to the main subway station which was useful for attending the F1 Grand Prix. The rooms were modern and clean, and it was easy to meet the guests. The breakfast was simple but adequate and free. I'd definitely come back here again if I am ever in Montreal.

HI - Chicago Hostel

Chicago, USA

A very large hostel which seems to cater for younger travelers in the dorms, retired couples, business people and school parties. The mix of groups doesn't make for a great atmosphere. I chose the hostel for the location which was excellent, but it was more difficult to meet other guests in a similar situation.

Hostel Riad Marrakech Rouge

Marrakech, Morocco

Really enjoyed my stay in this hostel. The atmosphere is great. The best things are the free tea because it gets the guests to socialise together, and the friendliness of Malik and the other staff. They are good at getting people onto tours and thus make the most of being Morocco. There were many first time explorers to Morocco in the hostel, but also many people who were returning to Marrakech or Morocco. It deserves my high rating!

McLays Guest House

Glasgow, Scotland

The hotel is quite dated, but that's no problem. The location isn't too far from the centre of the city.

• 12th Oct 2012
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Downtown Paraiso Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

Really nice hostel, and the staff made the stay special - very useful advice and friendly too.

Red Nest Hostel Valencia

Valencia, Spain

I had a wonderful time at the hostel when I visited over the F1 weekend. Even though it was busy, it caused no problems and the hostel is clearly well run. The staff are most helpful and there was a very good atmosphere amongst the diverse group of travelers in the hostel. Air conditioning in the room was very good because it was very warm outside and it meant that I could sleep well. I would recommend this hostel to everyone, and would come back if F1 returns to Valencia!

Hi there George!!! Thank you for your review!!! hope to see you back soon. Regards, Red Nest Staff

Jacobs Inn

Dublin, Ireland

The hostel was fine but nothing special. It was next to the bus station which was ideal as I had to take a flight from the airport following my stay.

EastSeven Berlin Hostel

Berlin, Germany

When you first enter this hostel, it is clear that they pride themselves on providing a good service and that is exactly what they do. The dorm that I stayed in was very clean, with convenient bathroom and free lockers if you have a padlock. Staff were so helpful, offering to print travel instructions and give advice on things to do. Also the cheap evening drink prices make it easy to stay and meet other travelers in the evening. I would definitely come back here again.

Copenhagen Downtown Hostel

Copenhagen, Denmark

Great clean room with really helpful staff, in a superb location. Offered exactly what I wanted!