Reviews: davidheeley61858

Location: England, Gender: Male, Age: 26

KEX Hostel

Reykjavik, Iceland

I had a really fun time at Kex Hostel this February. Like everything in Iceland, the hostel is beautiful with a large communal bar/restaurant area, lobby and kitchens on each floor. There were some bands playing the first night I was there and the staff were very helpful with booking a tour for me and suggesting cheap places to eat out. Despite being a fairly large hostel and busy for Sonar Festival, I never had to wait for a bathroom or shower. Made some great friends here too!

ACBB Hostel Niagara

Niagara Falls, Canada

I wish I had stayed longer in Niagara - two days is not enough! The guy who runs the hostel, Patrick, is very welcoming, relaxed and recommended a wonderful hike along the river to the whirlpool complete with hand-drawn map. I actually got lucky the night of my stay (Niagara Falls is a romantic place!) so I didn't try out the bed, free breakfast or go out for the cheap meal and drinks organised by the hostel, but they sounded good. Great backpackers hostel. Great staff. Great location too.

The staff here were very friendly at Hostelling International New York and I enjoyed my stay. It's a big hostel with a range of people staying in it, from schoolchildren to some elderly folk to the occasional businessman cursing his laptop. The hostel organised a bar crawl for the evening and it was fun to meet some of the other backpackers staying there. There's also an eating area, lounges, laundry rooms and a cafe. The individual sockets for each bed are a nice touch.

I had a great few days staying at the Sunflower Beach hostel. The staff here are excellent, both the owners and the group of younger ones who are working there for summer, and I enjoyed spending the evenings chatting to them and the other travellers. There was a group trip to Cocorico club to see the Chemical Brothers, which was amazing and well organised by the hostel. It has all the things you need, like wifi, free breakfast, kitchen, large lockers in the rooms and a beach just up the road!

This is one of my favourite hostels, so I planned my trip to return to it. It's colourfully decorated and has all the things you need, like a large communal area, kitchen, free breakfast, wifi, large lockers in the rooms. Unlike the Sunflower Beach hostel, it's within walking distance from the train station so is more handy for daytrips (I recommend San Marino and Urbino) or if you're only staying for a short time. There's a supermarket just round the corner and the beach is just up the road.

Il Nosadillo

Bologna, Italy

We enjoyed our stay at the Il Nosadillo hostel in Bologna. It's a bit strange in that for most of the time there are no staff around, so perhaps make sure you give a reasonably accurate arrival time. A basic breakfast was included and there is a nice communal area where you can meet the other guests. There are large lockers in the rooms and the beds and showers are fine. The wi-fi was very intermittent. The hostel was in a nice location in the city centre and easy to find from the train station.

• 21st May 2013

Sleep in Heaven

Copenhagen, Denmark

I really liked this hostel. The building has character, there is a large, comfortable communal area with a pool table, free computers and tables to eat your food on (albeit no kitchen). It's a short walk from the centre and there are lots of cheap eateries nearby. Even though there were quite a few beds in our room, they were partitioned well to give privacy and block noise and light. There were large lockers and sockets in the rooms, and the staff were friendly. It gets a thumbs up from me!

The Red Boat Mälaren

Stockholm, Sweden

This hostel is full of character with great decorations inside the ship! The location and, more importantly, the view are fantastic overlooking the Old Town. The staff are nice and there is a communal area, although it is shared with hotel guests so not too chatty. Bedding is included which seems rare for Stockholm. It's next to a main road so can get a little noisy and bright if you forget to close the curtains. The breakfast is German-style with hams, cheeses, breads and plain cereals.

Ai Quattro Canti

Palermo, Italy

Good hostel in a perfect location. Andrea is friendly, highlighting things to do on a useful map. Monreale is well worth a visit. A good kitchen and nice terrace are useful.

Onda Road

Praia a Mare, Italy

I've never felt so welcome in a hostel - the staff make this place so special. Martina makes sure you enjoy your stay, which is easy to do in beautiful Praia a Mare, and Josh is a really cool guy. Long-term resident Crystal has the sexiest accent I've ever heard and Papi is adorable. There was a week-long 'festival' in the town while I was there, which was lots of fun. The hostel is clean, cosy and homely. Breakfast is great. Book over the phone and you get a free laundry wash.

Fabric Hostel & Club

Naples, Italy

Great hostel. Located in a bustling, safe district walking distance from Ercolano and very well located to visit Pompeii, Versuvius, central Naples Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. Very clean with large bathrooms, big lockers in each room and a lift. Met a lot of nice people in the large communal area with 3 free computers with internet, free table tennis, comfy sofas and a large TV. The booklet on arrival is very useful. No kitchen but there is a fridge. Supermarkets and amazing pizzerias nearby.

Mamma Mia

Rome, Italy

The location is great - 10 minutes walk from the train station. The hostel is very basic with no common room, kitchen or anything. The one bathroom is shared between about 20 people so is busy and gets dirty in the morning. It seems to be run by one guy, who is a little closed, but he does let you use his computer if you ask. The other half of the hostel is a budget hotel with kitchen and another smaller bathroom, but I'm not sure if we were allowed to use these.

Affittacamere Patrizia

Cinque Terre, Italy

The guy who runs the place is very friendly. Despite being near the top of the hilly street, I think staying in Riomaggiore is best. I made some nice friends and we drank together in another of the hostel's rooms in the town. The price may be expensive, particularly at the weekend, but it's cheap for Cinque Terre. Useful kitchen facilities and supermarkets nearby. I'd recommend this place to others.

Camping Serenissima

Venice, Italy

The campsite is on the mainland, about 30mins by bus from the bus station, which means after the sun has set in Venice you have to think about heading back. Tip: you can use the day ticket for the boats on the buses. I stayed in one of the 'beds in a shed'. There was one socket and two beds in the shed, that's it. The staff were friendly, despite leaving early in the morning. The price is great for Venice. Note it is cheaper if you book online than just turning up. It is what it is.

BackpackerBerlin

Berlin, Germany

Nice hostel. Very good value, especially over New Year when we were there. There is a good communal room, hot, powerful showers and a kitchen. Free internet access, free bedding, free cereal.