Location: New Zealand, Gender: Male, Age: 28

Hedonist Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

I saw the rating of this place at 98%, originally I was going to stay in Belgrade for 2 nights, but extended my stay to 3 nights because I just had to know what made this hostel awesome. And it's worth it... I stayed 4 nights in the end. The staff are mega friendly and helpful, especially Marjan who always offered me coffee in the mornings and gave me a bed well before checkin. Awesome atmosphere, great location. Just book already! Why are you reading these?

• 5th Jun 2013
  • New Zealand

The beds were OK, unexpectedly not bunk beds. Location is fine to access via bus, until night time or Sunday. Lockers are nice and big. But, it's like they've stopped caring about the place. Bathroom was mouldy, shower sprayed water everywhere, toilets were dirty. Sheets had holes in them. Breakfast was stale. Wifi connected fine (perfect connection), but the internet wasn't worth even trying to use. No atmosphere at all.

• 11th May 2013
  • New Zealand

The breakfast is €4 extra a day, despite charging a crazy amount to begin with. Throw in tax. What the hell. Was in the Annex building, which was OK and quiet. Extra activities are also really expensive (walking tour for €15?!). Bar prices were decent. The common area near the computer room could do with livening up. Staff were friendly and helpful. Beds were solid. Wifi in Annex was excellent, in the main building was just OK. Quick repairs when someone in our room kicked the door in.

Tasso Hostel

Florence, Italy

This hostel deserves more people to check it out! When I went, it was quiet, but other than one night, every night was still a party with the bar welcoming people from the neighbourhood. Location was great, directions are very verbose, it's just a straight walk from the train station. Super friendly and helpful staff. If you want to sleep before 11pm, you might have trouble with live music being loud. No bunks. Highly recommended.

• 30th Apr 2013

Hostel Meyerbeer Beach

Nice, France

Room access is by key, and remembering codes, so not that secure. Common/dining room and kitchen are small. Beach mats and towels are a fantastic idea, even having a nice clean towel provided was great. Breakfast was an interesting variety of things beyond just cereal which was cool. Bed was a little shakey but generally OK. Thanks for the stay!

• 23rd Apr 2013

Vertigo Vieux-Port

Marseille, France

Booked an 8 bed room, which was in a totally different area of the hostel. In fact, it was like our own little flat with its own kitchen and dining area. Access was by key though, and doesn't require going through the main hostel, which isn't very secure. Common room closes at 11.30pm or something, seemed to be different for each staff member on. Shower could've done with something to hold it on the wall.

• 20th Apr 2013

Mediterranean Youth Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

Someone recommended this hostel to me, and even though it was evident there were lots of people around, I had no idea where they were, it was like a ghost town almost. They have a terrace that closes at the absurd time of 7pm. Showers were cold - I had to wake up early to catch a bus yet the showers were still cold so it wasn't a "too many people using the facilities" thing. It's a nice hostel otherwise.

• 18th Apr 2013

Home Backpackers

Valencia, Spain

Booked in a very quiet time - on the first night only a fraction of the beds were even booked. Great terrace, unfortunately they have to close it early in the night. Conveniently located just a short walk from the main plaza in the old town. Despite how quiet it was, still met many people, and the staff were very helpful in finding things to do.

• 15th Apr 2013

Funky Fes

Fez, Morocco

Was a good hostel, although the shower was cold on me a couple of times (and difficult to use). Food was great, and had a good nights sleep.

• 4th Apr 2013

Amour d' Auberge

Marrakech, Morocco

Was delighted by this hostel when I arrived. Thinking Moroccan hostels probably aren't as facilitating as European ones, however, this hostel has more mod-cons than most, including a reading light and an electrical socket for each bed. Staff were very helpful, sometimes they'll invite us to join in a meal or two, and the excursion I booked through them was excellent. Was a great hideaway from the hustle and bustle of the medina.

• 29th Mar 2013
  • New Zealand

Nothing really wrong with Oasis backpackers. One of the bar guys though didn't seem to get the memo on many things, so while I'd read that something was €5 somewhere, he'd ask for €6, stuff like that. Activities organised every night. Beds are solid - never felt the person above me. Helpful travel advisor, and cool rooftop terrace (could do with getting rid of those posters with the bikini girls though).

• 22nd Mar 2013

Thank you Daniel!! I've sent you a private email. Best regards, Yolanda

Way Hostel

Madrid, Spain

Best staff by far... knew so much about Madrid, where to go, what to eat, they even made us food from time to time. Beds were OK, kitchen had enough fridges and location was about 10 minutes walk from Plaza de Mayor which is terrific. The thing that let this hostel down though were the showers... poor pressure, switching between hot/cold, not the best.

• 16th Mar 2013

Sant Jordi Alberg

Barcelona, Spain

This is the first hostel I've ever given 100% to. Great staff, great people, great facilities, great location (very short walk from Las Ramblas). Was tempted to extend my stay a couple times, but I think I'll make it my way on the swing back to France. The parties they organise, however, could do with going to places that are more traveller friendly - rather go to a cheap bar, than an exclusive club that charges ludicrous amounts.

• 11th Mar 2013
  • New Zealand

This hostel has all the mod-cons, power sockets, privacy curtains (that didn't really block that much light, but whatever), and solid bunk beds so you don't have to worry about those active sleepers waking you up. The doors didn't seem to lock properly, so sometimes rooms were unlocked without people realising. They tell you to extend your stay on a website with "no booking fees" which is absolute bull (it charges €1). Bar has expensive beers. Next to lots of metro stations.

• 6th Mar 2013
  • New Zealand

Hey, Thanks for the review. Sorry about the wrong information, we'll have to inform the staff that there is an extra charge for some bookings. The website is generally recommended to save you money as the reception rate is generally higher. It's great you had an enjoyable time otherwise though. The doors also just need the handle to be pulled after swiping the key card. Just for future reference. Thanks again for your comments, St Chris Paris Canal

Equity Point London

I've stayed at this hostel a number of times, but there are things I don't like about it. For one, not even a microwave you can use to have cheap meals. For two, these guys still charge for wifi, the only ones in the world that still do from what I can tell. The staff are still awesome though, and the rooms are fine, which is why I keep going back.

• 15th Feb 2013
  • New Zealand

Staff were super friendly - except for one guy who I couldn't really get a straight answer out of. However on one of the nights I ended up drinking with a few of the others and they were great to have a chat with. No bus routes from the coach station, but it is only ~20 minute walk so not too bad. Room was nice and large, no lockers however. Thanks!

• 13th Feb 2013
  • New Zealand

Hey! thanks for the feedback, glad you had a good time here! Come back and hang out with us soon!

Equity Point London

Once again, Equity Point was a great stay. I'm looking for a place to live, and the staff were helpful in giving me tips on flat hunting in London. Rocco, especially, always up for a chat. The only downsides, as usual, is the lack of even a microwave to use for cheap eats. (Although, they do for breakfast, so...) Definitely a place I'd recommend.

• 6th Jan 2013
  • New Zealand

This hostel is amazing, and the best one I've stayed at yet. They have pretty much everything you need (except for kitchen facilities, not even a microwave, unfortunately). Location isn't central, but a short walk from a Bakerloo and Northern line station, plenty of buses (incl. 24 hr ones), and a few bike hire racks outside. V friendly staff, cheap laundry. Complaint though... doors tend to be slammed because they don't close properly if you don't. Which sucks. Otherwise, will stay again.

• 3rd Nov 2012
  • New Zealand

Weird hostel bunged onto a conference center bunged onto a student accommodation. They're pretty strict with their security measures, which I guess is good, but leads to a pretty hostile environment. Needs a common room, many people just hung out in the foyer which had lots of seating but wasn't very welcoming. Bathroom was generally pretty bad, not sure why this is though. Get lots of stuff for free, breakfast, wifi, drinks at the bar. But you don't get to meet many people.

• 29th Oct 2012
  • New Zealand

Thank you for giving us feedback on your recent stay at International Students House. We are delighted to hear that overall, you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully this enhanced your visit to London. Even though we don't have a common room for our short stay residents, we do have a Bar on our premise which is a great socialising space. There is a juke box, a pool table and we show live sports on the big screen and have weekly bar entertainment including karaoke and quiz nights. We hope to welcome you again at International Students House in the near future.

Clink78

They've done some redecorating since I was last here two years ago! Free wifi throughout the building, plenty of room for everyone in the common room, cheap pub, great people to drink with, and a kitchen! It's excellent for travellers. Only complaint was that when I went to do laundry, there was no powder dispenser, and when I asked staff, it's like no one realised this. Was a bit annoying.

• 26th Oct 2012

Bunkhouse

Cardiff, Wales

Only stayed here for one night, expecting to keep my luggage here throughout the day. However, they don't have a luggage room but said I could keep my bag behind the bar. By behind the bar, I thought they meant behind it, but no, it was to the side on the way to some room, which got me a bit worried but it was still there when I got back. Right next to St Davids mall, surrounded by pubs and bars of all sorts. Bar is funky cool. Some three story bunks.

• 25th Oct 2012

Equity Point London

I enjoyed my stay here. For some reason, we had cleaners on a mezzanine floor above us in our room, but they generally kept quiet so it was no biggy. Everything was kept clean, friendly staff, close to Paddington station and a whole bunch of shops. There's no laundry facilities here though, and a microwave that's only available for breakfast (from what I can tell). Otherwise, not much else to complain about.

• 19th Oct 2012

Hostel Van Gogh

Amsterdam, Netherlands

It seems at one point this was an entire hotel, but they decided they'd make more money turning it into a hostel. It's not bad... I was in an 8 bed dorm, with bunks, every bed had a reading light and an electrical socket, which was great. There are small lockers for valuables in every room. The bathrooms were very clean and noticably new. Common room was always available, there always seemed to be someone there. Free walking tour pickup every day too. Staff need to stop arguing behind the desk.

• 15th Oct 2012

2GO4 Quality Hostel

Brussels, Belgium

First up, I had the only room that didn't have a working lock. Anyone could just walk in, the staff were informed but they didn't seem to care. Also, the front door is never locked either, not even at night. Unfortunately, this put a huge dent in my review of this hostel, as the atmosphere was great, people were awesome and I had a great time here. The common room closes at 11pm every night too, and a couple of hours during the day, which kinda sucked.

• 11th Oct 2012

The Full Moon Backpackers

Bristol, England

You get a key to your room, so who knows if someone made a copy. The people there were interesting... a lot of old men around. There was a distinct smell coming from the "common room", like pure alcohol or something, and always seemed to be closed and taken by the older residents. Don't know what hostel is doing that's "green". Could feel the springs in bed. Bathrooms were the only new thing, but most stalls were closed and/or roof is rotting.

• 7th Oct 2012
  • New Zealand

Bar with rooms on top, three story bunks that were really shakey. Our room was the only room with its own shower, would've preferred proper lockers to put my stuff in. Really close to a tube station, but it's one of the more inconvenient ones to get to unfortunately, HOWEVER it's a very short walk to Westminster, The London Eye and the Imperial War Museum... so it depends what you want to do.

• 2nd Oct 2012
  • New Zealand

Was in a 12 bed dorm, double bunks with lots of room. Lockers were smaller than the usual St Christophers ones. Also, entry to the hostel is via a door to the side of the bar. Location was near-perfect. Second night was noisy because it was Freshers Week and there were people on the street being rowdy. Also, on the day I was leaving none of their showers worked (and the only person on staff that morning had no idea why). Was all good up until that point though.

• 30th Sep 2012
  • New Zealand

Hi Thanks very much for your comments. We are very sorry about the showers not working. Our boiler cut out during the night and needed to be reset. We are delighted the rest of your stay was enjoyable. Best wishes and happy travelling. St Christopher's Bath

Smart Hyde Park View

Was in a 6 bed dorm, be prepared for 3 story bunk beds! Lockers are an extra £1.50 a day. According to the description there are people planning things to make the stay worthwhile, but didn't notice any events being held by the hostel itself! Toilet was oddly close to a wall. However, convenient location, cheap drinks, fast wifi and decent common room made it worthwhile stay!

• 23rd Sep 2012
  • New Zealand

The staff were fantastic and helpful, they even let me use the shower after a long flight arriving well before the check-in time. It was much appreciated. Also, when I discovered stains on my pillow and told them, they promptly replaced it. Unfortunately, the people in my hostel room let the experience down (I guess there was nothing they could do about it). The showers have extremely limited space as well, and the bar doesn't seem to have many guests in there.

• 17th Sep 2012

Lub d Bangkok Siam Square

Bangkok, Thailand

I had an amazing time here. They have activities organised everyday, including pub crawls, food nights and more. The staff are fun, helpful and welcoming. It's location right next to a Sky Train Station makes it incredibly easy to get to from the airport. If you're into shopping, this is a perfect location as well. Made so many friends at this hostel, well recommended!

• 11th Sep 2012