Location USA, Gender Male, Age 36

Anchi Guesthouse & Apartments, Dubrovnik, Croatia
3rd Nov 2016

The lady is super nice and friendly. It's like an apartment you rent out so you get some of the local coziness. It's away from the old town... maybe a 20 minute walk, but I loved doing the walk. On the other hand it's right next to the bus station, so if you know you're going to be tired from the bus ride and just want to crash it's perfect. There's some good restaurants nearby, and if you want to save money and cook there's a supermarket next door and a full kitchen.

Tchaikovsky Hostel, Split, Croatia
2nd Nov 2016

Very clean place. The ladies there were very nice and helpful to me. Huge lockers. The location may look a bit off central if you look on a map and have never been to Split before, but it's central. Very central.

1st Nov 2016

A little expensive, but it is in a good location. I booked it because I knew I was going to be exhausted after the train, and just wanted to go right across the street and crash. That is exactly what I did. This franchise is good and clean. I felt this place is pretty easy for groups to grab for like high school type events, I'm not sure though. But when I went it was loaded with kids. I think it's because it's by the station and easy for people to herd kids into.

Art Hole Hostel, Prague, Czech Republic
27th Oct 2016

Pretty cool hostel. Has a good look and not franchised I don't think. It's in a good spot in Prague 1, so you can walk to most stuff and there's a lot of food and shopping around. Not too far from the main train station too. Pretty clean and staff are cool.

29th Jul 2016

This is a franchised hostel. They're all pretty clean. The staff at this one were really cool. Everything is good at this one. Bar, location, staff, room, security, WiFi.

WOW Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands
26th Sep 2015

Not too close to the tourist area but not far either which is perfect for me. Just hop on the tram and I think it's just like 4 stops to the museum area. Great vegan places to eat nearby for veggie people. Pool table, good food, cool wide hang out spots. I think it might've been an old school. Safe. Clean. Cool colored floors. No complaints. Cheap. I will try to stay again on my return.

Han Hostel Airport North, Istanbul, Turkey
25th Sep 2015

This is a great location in terms of being away from all the touristy stuff and all those persistent cons all over. Lots to eat nearby and very near the airport. Taxi is about 5 USD. Very cheap for a hotel. When I went it was basically vacant, but I think that has to do with the bad state of tourism at the time. I enjoyed my stay.

Boomerang Guesthouse, Selcuk, Turkey
20th Sep 2015

Family owned. GREAT place to stay! Great people, both family and staff are very friendly and cool. Right across the street from the bus station that brings you into town. It's basically across the street from the train that takes you to the Izmir airport too. Also it seems to be the only place to get Chinese food in the region, which is a plus if you've had your fill of kebab. The restaurant is very ethnic and cool too. I'll stay here again.

Istanbul Hostel, Istanbul, Turkey
17th Sep 2015

The staff is very nice and protective of you. The breakfast is on the rooftop and has this nice Turkish, urban flair to it. It right by the touristy action in Sultanhamet. Lots of good eats nearby as well as the main sites. Cheap and clean. No lockers but it's a hostel so it's fine. I can't say too much since visitors were infrequent while I was there, so I don't know how the vibe would be with more guests, but it's a good, cheap, clean place to stay.

Hostel Sleeping Beauty, Ljubljana, Slovenia
16th Sep 2015

You get a huge locker so no problems with security. There's not really a hang out spot aside from the room itself, but just outside there's plenty of places to hangout. The woman is very sweet and does her best but she can be a little 'all over the place' if you will. She does everything she can to help. I think she lives there so the place is clean. Definitely a great price. The internet was a little spotty but no different than many other hostels. I stayed here twice.

Generator Venice, Venice, Italy
7th Sep 2015

The staff are very concerned with the quality of their hostel. There's a bar and live shows inside. It's a nice hostel because Guidecca is a good place to get away from the tourists but it's still very close to all of it with the water taxi. No lockers but it's a hostel so typically your stuff is very safe. They serve food so that is good because there is literally nothing but pizza and pasta in Venice. It is a bit pricey for a hostel but cheap for Venice.

MEININGER Amsterdam City West, Amsterdam, Netherlands
6th Sep 2015

The place is connected with Sloterdijk station. So there are many ways to get to the main sites, nothing in walking distance though. You can also catch the direct train into Schipol Airport from here. I think the place will grow, it is very clean. Everyone had on uniforms so it was like a franchise. Everything else was great.

The Walrus Hostel, London, England
6th Nov 2014

I would think this is probably one of the best hostels in London. The part of town has a lot of eating nightlife and it's next to the Parliment, which to me was the coolest site in London. The staff double as bartenders for the very lively downstairs. You have to wake someone up afterhours for service so I felt bad about that. Staff and facilities are good. I especially liked this place because of the character. It just felt Londonish for some reason.

Station Hostel for Backpackers, Cologne, Germany
1st Nov 2014

It's just a hostel so it's fine, no problems. The biggest benefit of this hostel was that it's right by the train station. WIFI in the rooms would have been nice, but they have it downstairs so it's no problem. Breakfast is good. One of the tall German guys with glasses was kind of a douche, but he did his job in the end I'm not asking for a hotel.

Wallyard Concept Hostel, Berlin, Germany
28th Oct 2014

It's a really clean place with a relaxing dimly lit ambiance. The staff are real cool people, they are very willing to please you. The downstairs lobby social area is set up pretty nice and when I was there is was a good balance of social and wanting to keep to yourself. It's very easy to get to from the Hbf or you can just walk 15-20 minutes. There's all kinds of food toward the direction of the metro station. It's not RIGHT next to all the famous stuff, but it's Berlin, it's cool everywhere.

Hostel Fleda, Brno, Czech Republic
23rd Oct 2014

This is a very characteristic hostel in the way the old building is setup. Rooms go to rooms and you are given an old time skeleton key. The staff is very sweet. It's clean but it's old and creaky. I liked it still. It's right next to a club so you can hear it at night. It's on the northside of downtown but Brno is small so it's not problem, just walk or the tram is literally right there out of the front door. I would stay here again.

Maverick City Lodge, Budapest, Hungary
19th Oct 2014

Andras is the coolest guy on the planet. He answered my emails before I got there and just has a good temperment. Actually the whole staff is really cool. Maybe it's just their job, but they do a good job. I've stayed in over 20 hostels and this is by far the best one I've stayed in with the coolest staff. Maybe it's just Hungarians, they are some cool hip people.

Gallery Hyde Park, London, England
6.9
18th Oct 2014

Front desk girls were nice. There were no lockers, but they did have a luggage room. It was kind of old but it was fine, nothing was wrong with the place for a hostel. Not amongst the best hostels I've stayed in but no problems at all. Right next to Hyde park. That's about all I have to say about it.

365 Inn, Beijing, China
20th Oct 2013

The staff were very helpful and very friendly and could speak english well. They seemed like the only people in Beijing that could speak english. I usually don't like hard floors because it makes my feet feel dirty after a shower but I don't know what the janitors do but the shower and toilet floors are so dry and clean all the time. Wifi is good and I spent a lot of time in their bar. A great great place, location is great, right next to the main sites that are lined up like dominoes. A+++

7.1
12th Oct 2013

The place isn't filthy but it's not clean. Floors are OK but the sheets are as if they hang dried them with smokers around and then they pulled them off the lines damp. The capsules are like enclosed mugginess, it's not like they have ventilation and AC, and noise travels. Staff could be better but they're fine. WIFI did not work while I was there and the staff really couldn't do anything. Odd system of them keeping your shoes to get a key to give that key up for your room key. Bathing is nice.

Hannari, Kyoto, Japan
9th Oct 2013

It's a bit of a hike from a metro station. Scout it out with googlemaps. Once you get there you can just take a bicycle everywhere. The workers are A+ and are very sociable and speak very good english. They take high pride in keeping the place clean, barefeet is comfortable. There's carpet so that was great to me. Wifi is good. Lots of free beverages and books to read. The interior is kind of traditional but everything is very new. They have small lockers only and the space is like a submarine.

7th Oct 2013

The location seems a little grimey but I think it's quite safe. The workers at the hostel are very generous and show concern to the guests. The place reminds me of a old school with the old tiles and long hallways. I stayed in a one bedroom. Visually it looks dirty, but if you smell and touch everything I think everything is clean. If I ever come back to Osaka I could stay here again. Right next to a metro and the free breakfast is in the cafe next door and it's sort of burlesque. Not bad at all

Hotel New Azuma, Tokyo, Japan
5th Oct 2013

I gave the place honest ratings with consideration of what people generally look for. I don't think it's really a social hostel. The location is a quiet part of Tokyo away from the action. I really liked it though because it allowed my mind to relax a bit. I got a single and slept in. Most of the staff speak good enough english and were very sweet. A few stops away from Ueno and you're back into the action. Everything worked and it was clean. Mostly old Japanese men checked in. I will stay again

Ace Inn Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
4th Oct 2013

The curfew was the main thing about this hostel. The man is very nice upfront. I didn't like the bathroom, typical of a mid level hostel, but kind of icky at least on my floor. I got locked out in the rain, luckily by sheer luck was someone walking by to let me in. The wifi was very good. Another complaint was you're stuck in a room with a lot of people and the beds are these cheap wooden things that creak loudly and easily. I got in late and made someone mad but it's not my fault it's the bed

AS House (Asakusa Smile), Tokyo, Japan
1st Oct 2013

This hostel is actually split up into two buildings about a block away in distance. The location I'm certain was a home at one time. It was clean staff was good. They had a bar in one building and the kitchen in the building I stayed in was sociable. Warm water, WIFI was shot when I went, you could get wifi for small increments of time. Everything was fine, my main complaint was something would bite me several times in the middle of the night, it might be mosquitoes but they were super itchy.

Khaosan Tokyo Original, Tokyo, Japan
30th Sep 2013

Staff speak English and welcome your attempts at Japanese. A+ staff, super nice, super helpful, one helped me out with where to find all the action. I left my braces there and came back a day later and they held onto them for me after finding them. Place has a bidet. Hostel is a little cramped and you have to work around people everywhere, but it's just fine for a hostel at that price. I have a lasting impression of this place and I only stayed one night.

Space Pod Houston, Houston, USA
8th Jun 2013

Overall a good place to stay. I've stayed in many hostels before but this is someone's home. There is about a $5 extra tab you have to add onto your online bill. She treats you like a house guest so the service is very generous. As far as I could tell there is only one room. This is not a place with hostel parties all night and I wouldn't think it's OK to bring a new friend back with you. It's just like staying at an acquaintence's home so be a little more respectful I think. She's nice.

AAE 11th Avenue Hostel, Denver, USA
24th May 2013

I've been to a few hostels around the world. It seemed kind of sketchy at first because there were some weird people bugging the receptionist when I first got there. Like they all didn't seem like they were all there in the head. Be patient if the receptionist seems rude, he's actually nice I find. I got a upgrade, no extra charge for some reason. My mattress was bad and the blanket was made for a 5 year old. The place LOOKED tore up at first but it's actually clean. Location is perfect!

• USA,
23rd May 2011

needs laundry. Someone is doing parkour and stole my towell hanging off the balcony rail. I think that means let the visitors know to lock the windows because someone could easily parkour into the room and take laptops and stuff. The shower and especially the bathroom floor was amazing. I usually don't like putting my barefeet on the floor after taking a shower but your hostel was nice and clean. I like the dim green light in rooms that way you can have light but not disturb others.

• USA, Male, 25-30
Wombats City Hostel Munich, Munich, Germany
12th May 2011

Great bar downstairs. It was real lively compared to other hostels but that didn't cause problems upstairs because the sound didn't carry. Lots of room in the hostel to work with so it was great not to have to share space. The staff were good about enforcing rules to people and were at the same time very pleasant.

• USA, Male, 25-30
HI-Vancouver Central, Vancouver, Canada
9.3
7th Oct 2010

Showers are nice and warm. The place is clean and the lockers are big. I thought the beds were very comfortable. Yes it's on a lively street with lots of bars but I didn't think it was bad at all, I'm a light sleeper and I got plenty of sleep. The floor space in the rooms are kind of small so expect to work around each other. The location is right where a lot of things are going on and there's plenty of food, night life, tourism nearby,and ways to get around. The VC film festival is closeby.