Location: Ireland, Gender: Male, Age: 42

Ventana Sur Hostal

Santiago, Chile

Just wanted to chill for the evening & someone put on a DVD, so it worked out great!

Aji Verde Hostel

La Serena, Chile

Hostel in Salta

Salta, Argentina

Concept Design Hostel

Foz do Iguacu, Brazil

Very new, modern, clean & well-maintained. They have a bar but seem to play American music all the time - Elvis one night & sad country & western type stuff the other night!

Rio Deal B&B

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Comfortable hostel very near Copacabana beach

Chill On The Beach Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Staff very friendly - greeted with a smile every morning, even when they were hung-over!

Firehouse Hostel

Austin, USA

Beds comfortable but room was too cold - windows open AND air-con on when there are storms & the temp is only 50 degrees - ridiculous!

Rio Deal B&B

Marcus is the man!

Eco Hostel

Excellent as usual

Amistat Beach Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

It's a great new hostel, comfortable and quiet. The only problem I had was the first morning the guy working complained when I ate my own food in the kitchen before 0800. But the girl who was working the second day had the hostel breakfast prepared at 0730 so the problem did not arise. All the staff were friendly & helpful in relation to everything else. The owners just need to change this rule because sometimes people need to leave earlier than the official breakfast time & eat their own food.

Hello and thanks for your review! We actually changed that now, so thanks for your help! Have safe trips and we hope to see you again!

Terra Extremus Hostel

Santiago, Chile

Good place to base yourself for a party but a bit cold - and gas ran out while I was in the shower so I had to wait for an hour while they got their gas supplier to come & replace the cylinder.

Landay Hostel

Santiago, Chile

This is a very nice hostel with comfortable cosy bedrooms. The bathroom seems new & is very clean, but there is only 1 on the first floor between a lot of people. The kitchen is well equipped and the common areas are nice. The staff are nice, friendly and helpful. The breakfast is OK, just cereals, coffee & toast, but no fruit.

Nuevo Horizonte Hostel

Santiago, Chile

This place is cheap for reason - it's very basic. If you don't have much money maybe it's a good place to stay. The staff were nice but they weren't always available - so then guests would answer the door. The wi-fi works fine & the showers are hot. The kitchen is very small and only two of the burners on the gas stove work anyway so it's difficult for 2 people to cook at the same time (there's no hot water in the kitchen sink but you can boil the kettle to wash dishes). No breakfast.

Eco Hostel

Santiago, Chile

This is a nice place 15 minutes walk from the centre, close enough to the action but also far enough away to ensure you will sleep well in the large comfortable beds. There is a nice relaxed vibe in the hostel and the staff are pleasant and helpful (Mostly Chileans but speak English). The hostel tries to encourage recycling by providing facilities but it is left to guests to decide. It was always kept clean. The breakfast was great - good choice of fresh fruit, cereals, toast, jams, tea/coffee.

Santiago Backpackers

Santiago, Chile

Staff & atmosphere very nice but a little bit disorganised at times. Rooms, beds & breakfast were good but sometimes we had to wait for them to buy bread or cereals. Some light bulbs not working in bathroom. Showers were hot, but no hot water in some basins. The cleaning was good but sometimes they didn't replace toilet paper & there was a leak in 1 bathroom so they closed it for the last 2 days I was there. Overall good value, just be careful with the toaster & kettle! 10,000 peso key deposit.

This is a great hostel - good vibe, well laid out & fun. The staff are great and will help you if they can. I would rate it 100% except for the bathroom - all beautifully tiled & finished, and showers are hot, but let down by the taps falling off from time to time and no hot water in the wash hand basins which made shaving a bit of a hassle. The cold water tap in the kitchen also seized during my stay. It's a shame because these were minor blemishes on an otherwise fantastic hostel experience.

Selknam Hostel

Santiago, Chile

The staff at the hostel were very nice. However it was very cold, because there was no heating in the dorms. You had to ask to turn on the hot water for a shower, that's OK - but even then the water was not very hot so I didn't even bother on the last day & just went to another place. The water in the kitchen was very hot but for some reason the water in the shower never got very hot. Apart from this for the price it was good value.

Don Santiago Hostel

Santiago, Chile

I've stayed in a few hostels in Santiago, but for me this is the best. The staff; Rodrigo, Pato & Angelica are really helpful. The house is small (max. 15 or 16 people) but this makes for a cosy & friendly atmosphere & breakfast is tasty. Kitchen is small but has everything necessary for cooking. There's a laundry place just across the street. The beds are very comfy and warm. The bathroom decor is a bit out-there, but the showers are hot & work perfectly. Metro Republica or Cumming 5 mins walk.

La Chimba Hostel

Santiago, Chile

The hostel was very cold and the was not much warmth from the staff either - strangers on the street were more friendly towards me. There was a weird vibe in the hostel, the staff were not unpleasant, but they seemed to put themselves first, guests were secondary - I spoke to a few other guests who got the same feeling. I chose this hostel partly because they had won Hostelworld awards, but I think that was a few years ago, & based on my experience they would not win any awards these days.

When I arrived at the house close to the beach I was advised that it was full & I was told I was booked into another property. They brought me to an apartment on the 4th floor a little further away from the beach (Carrer de Francesc Baldomar 20) , but right beside the tram stop. Although I was initially a little disappointed, the apartment was clean & had all mod cons (except WiFi, but there a great little cafe "Capricho' by the tram stop). I recommend but just ask which property u will be in.

Hostel Pisa

Pisa, Italy

In the end I had to cancel my booking because I noticed they had an under 40s policy. Some other places in Pisa had an under 35s policy so it was hard to find a place - in the end I didn't stay in Pisa, just arrived in the morning and left in the afternoon. My Italian friend called the hostel to cancel but they would cancel over the phone but insisted I e-mail them. It was not possible to do it on Hostelworld as it was the day before even though it was more than 24 hours before my notified time

Urbany Hostel Barcelona

Barcelona, Spain

This hostel was almost perfect for my stopover. The reception looked more like a hotel than a hostel, but staff were pleasant and polite & gave me the required info. The facilities were fantastic (including free access to gym/pool/sauna) the only thing I can fault the place on was the kitchen; while it was clean and well laid out, there was no oven, just micro-waves. There were hobs/stoves to cook on but there wasn't much cutlery. The breakfast was decent although the muesli was not to my taste.

• 8th Sep 2012

Oops Design Hostel

Paris, France

The hostel was perfect for my requirements. I arrived late at night and staff were very helpful, however I didn't know until I arrived at the hostel that they don't accept cards, so maybe they should make it clearer that it's "Cash Only" to pay. Also the hostel is expensive, but I think in Paris everything is more expensive. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There was enough space to store my luggage. The breakfast was adequate. I checked out and left my luggage in the storage room

• 30th Aug 2012

Miami Cairo Hostel

Cairo, Egypt

Strongly recommended if you want to stay in a place with a nice atmosphere, no hassle. The location of the hostel is very close to the Egyptian museum, downtown and the Nile. All the guys were very friendly, fun and helpful from the moment I checked into the hostel. The breakfast was good and the dorm was comfortable - They even gave me a room to myself! Thanks guys :D

• 31st Oct 2011

Keylany Hotel

Aswan, Egypt

Hotel staff friendly but lucky I'm not a big fan of TV as no channels were available, supposedly due to changing codes!?

• 27th Oct 2011

Boomerang Hotel

Luxor, Egypt

From the moment I arrived Mo made me feel welcome. As hotel was not fully occupied I had a dorm room to myself for the duration of my stay, which was great. I was suffering with a cough & head cold when I arrived & Mo provided me with plenty of hot drinks. The room was comfortable, with fans, air-con & the hotel in general was kept very clean. Nice reception area & cool roof terrace to watch sunset. Great breakfast. Secure lockers. 5 minutes walk to train station. The tour guide was informative

• 24th Oct 2011
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. And we are always glad to help. We are happy that you felt welcome here and hope to see you again in the future.

Brothers Hostel

Cairo, Egypt

Staff helpful & friendly. Beds comfortable

Aquarius Backpackers Byron Bay

Byron Bay, Australia

Hostel was a bit grungy - not dirty but just a bit messy, probably coz it's a bit of a party spot - probably not for the more mature backpacker!

• 28th Sep 2011

The Nunnery

Melbourne, Australia

The hostel was clean and calm - variety of fresh breads for breakfast was a nice touch. Didn't spend a lot of time in the hostel but was refreshing that staff did not try to push tours/activities as there were sufficient brochures/notices to promote such excursions - but if guests wished to participate it was clear that they would be accommodated.

• 22nd Sep 2011

K Road City Travellers

Auckland, New Zealand

Staff friendly, efficient and polite. Beds comfortable. WiFi sometimes not working.

• 15th Sep 2011