Reviews: sjwhitfield6398

Location USA, Gender Male, Age 32

Ace Inn Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
4.3
16th Jun 2016

Positives: friendly staff, isn't as bad as sleeping under a bridge Negatives: No value. Rundown. No security. No atmosphere. But what really takes the cake, THEY START VACUUMING AS EARLY AS 10AM! The latest was 1130, but any vacuum before 2PM is unacceptable for a guesthouse, hotel, hostel, crack house, rehab, or the very bridge mentioned earlier. You can sleep in more comfortably in country jail then here. Dozens of ratings here, this is one of the LOWEST. AVOID!

Kimchee Hongdae Guesthouse, Seoul, South Korea
6.6
10th Jun 2016

Korean staff were amazing, foreigners who worked there for a free place to stay didn't seem to give a damn about the hostel or the guests. A big gentleman from California was very friendly, everyone else never even said hi and not welcoming. Location was amazing for nightlife, hostel itself wasn't too clean and even the staff (foreigners) could be overheard talking very bad about the state of the sheets and mattress. I wouldnt recommend, there must be other places in Seoul for better value.

Happy Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
7th Jun 2016

One of the better ratings I've ever given a hostel. 50+ hostels, 30 countries and easily top 7. Great location, close to metro and night market. Easy to get around town.

Rou Hostel, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
8.0
27th Nov 2015

I actually LIVED here for two months as I looked for an apartment in Saigon. I must say, the staff was amazing and the location of the hostel was fantastic. The hostel is amazingly cheap buuuut you get what you pay for. The restrooms were close to the absolute worst I've seen at a hostel and the rooms weren't exactly the best but the sheets were comfy and once again, DIRT CHEAP. I would recommend but with the full disclosure that "you get what you pay for" comes into play here.

3 La Hostel, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
6.9
20th Nov 2015

This place is nice, and for $6 the atmosphere is quite lovely, however, the A/C did not work well and during the day, it was a complete hot box. They usually had one tiny fan for the very large room. Also, after 25 countries and countless hostels, this place had THE WORST WIFI! It's impossibly frustrating. No exaggeration. The restaurant is really delicious though! There are cheaper and better options that I stayed at in Saigon or for a few bucks more, you can really spoil yourself.

Thanks for review so much. We're so sorry about your uncomfort. We'll try our best to solve that problem, hope to have another change to serve you better.

BED STATION Hostel, Bangkok, Thailand
19th Oct 2015

I loved my time here! I couldn't recommend it more! Also, the privacy curtains are great and makes me wonder why every hostel doesn't have them! The staff, absolutely awesome!

Sunshine Bedz KL, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8th Oct 2015

Great location in KL and awesome staff.

Betel Box Backpacker Hostel, Singapore, Singapore
5th Oct 2015

I really enjoyed my time here. Good common area and a decent location. The staff was TOP NOTCH though.

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are feeling awesome now knowing that you had a splendid time staying with us while in Singapore. Glad to know you enjoyed our spacious cosy Common Room and that our location was to your liking. Cheers and we definitely would love to have you here with us again!! :) -Tini

MNL Boutique Hostel, Manila, Philippines
6.9
30th Sep 2015

Had a bit of difficulties with this place but they resolved it. Overall, it's an adequate place to stay in Manila but there are other options in the same area that I felt were a better option. Still, more than acceptable place to stay a night or two.

Check Inn HK, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
25th Sep 2015

Loved this hostel! Fantastic location and I really enjoyed the set up of the place. The staff was very helpful. I not only would recommend this place but I'll stay here again myself.

Chicago Getaway Hostel, Chicago, USA
16th Mar 2015

The hostel staff was great, and I felt very at home here. The area the hostel is in has a college town feel. Very young and fun. The metro is only a short walk away and I was easily able to get around town from the hostel. I would definitely stay here again!

A&O Dusseldorf Hauptbahnhof, Dusseldorf, Germany
4th Jan 2015

A very adequate hostel for what I needed which is basically a place to sleep. The room smelt absolutely atrocious but I would later find out that it was the very old and unclean gentleman below me. Not the hostels fault.

A2 Design Hostel, Budapest, Hungary
31st Dec 2014

Possibly the best hostel experience I've had. It felt as though I was staying at a friend's place! The owner is absolutely lovely and the hostel itself is quaint yet has the ability to be very social, especially for myself traveling alone. It isn't very large and NOT a party hostel, if that's your bag, this spot won't be what you're looking for. That being said, this place is perfect if you want to meet amazing people, have a party night out, and still get sleep when you need it!

Free Hostels Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
27th Dec 2014

A fantastic new hostel in Barcelona! It's very modern and led me to question why EVERY hostel doesn't have a pull down shade on the beds for privacy!? The staff and owner were amazing and very friendly! I will say, the atmosphere was lacking. It was very slow and difficult to meet new people. Perhaps because it was new, I don't know. Overall, I'd recommend this place but I'm curious to stay at other hostels in Barcelona as well.

Astor Hyde Park, London, England
23rd Dec 2014

The hostel was nice, clean, and adequate. It was very far from a metro which was a little annoying but very close to a consistent bus stop and bike rental so all was well in the end. Personally, I wouldn't stay here again only because I wasn't blown away where I feel there isn't better options in London yet I wouldn't say you shouldn't stay here! It's a good hostel and with a fair price. Yup.

Euro Youth Hostel, Munich, Germany
13th Dec 2014

I would be absolutely shocked if you found a better hostel in Munich! I even met up with local friends who were excited to hear I was staying here, citing it was the best their city had to offer. I loved it!

11th Dec 2014

The hostel was great! I really don't have any complaints about the hostel itself. I will say that the metro closest to the hostel was closed. It may now be open but if you don't have a lot of time in Chicago, that 30 min round trip to the next closest or an even long wait for a bus means a lot. Nothing the hostel could do about it but something to think about when booking in Chicago.

Hostal Suenos Del Mar, San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua
5.7
1st Aug 2014

I stayed here for one night when I booked for 3. The guys seemed drunk who worked there and the internet wasn't working to find my booking. I booked a private room on accident and asked to be moved to a dorm, it was DEAD there and they said there wasn't room. They just wanted to make me pay more for the private room. This place is dishonest and boring at best. GO TO CASA ORO! THAT PLACE IS AMAZING AND FUN!!! It's only two block from this place

Latina Hostal, Leon, Nicaragua
29th Jul 2014

I can't recommend this place enough! The location is great! Only a few blocks from the Cathedral in a town that's walk-able as it is! The staff in amazing and Juan Carlos, the bartender/all around helper, is an awesome dude who will show you a great time! If you're going to Leon, you'd be crazy not to stay here!

7.4
1st Jun 2014

The hostel is adequate. If you have an early flight from LaGuardia, this place is a no brainer. If you want a place to stay in NYC to explore, there are much better options

The Local NYC, New York, USA
23rd May 2014

This place was awesome! They have a great bar there and very cool look. Great place to meet new friends and hang out. The beds were crazy comfortable! It was one of the more pricier options in the city but worth every penny!

Dina's Hostel, Cairo, Egypt
18th Mar 2014

Dina's is a great hostel right in the center of Cairo. I doubt you'd find a better hostel in Cairo. I will say, BRING BUG SPRAY! This is something that is no fault to the hostel but I left COVERED in mosquito bites.

Cheers Lighthouse, Istanbul, Turkey
15th Mar 2014

This place was spectacular, no better location in Istanbul. I had absolutely no complaints whatsoever. The free breakfast is the best I've ever had in a hostel. Much better than the usual bread and juice. The wifi is great, which is also usually a disappointment elsewhere but not here! One thing, Cheers owns two locations and this one is much better for a quieter time. Being a solo traveler, I wish I had stayed at the other location to meet more people. GREAT PLACE THOUGH!

Samesun Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada
15th Feb 2014

The hostel was fantastic. Everyone there seemed to be great and easy going. The staff was very helpful as I had several questions. Great location but the area's nightlife is poor if you're looking for anything other than nightclubs full of teenagers. Overall, I would stay here again and recommend to other travelers.

HotelHotel Hostel, Seattle, USA
8.0
14th Feb 2014

Good hostel but by comparison to others in Seattle, it really gets blown away. Overall, I enjoyed my brief stay but the staff seemed cold and perhaps annoyed. I wouldn't advise against this hostel but I wouldn't be doing backflips getting people to stay there either.

Cafe Hotel de l'avenir, Paris, France
6th Jan 2014

Great place, literally across the street from the metro to get you anywhere you need to go. Very close to the major airport but a bit of a trek from Orly. I cannot find anything negative to say about this place! Can't wait to come back!

Eco B&B Marela, Rome, Italy
6.6
3rd Jan 2014

The woman who owns it has a full time job so it was evident she was struggling to balance this and running a hostel but was very very kind. I don't want to give this place the kiss of death but me and my girlfriend ended up with bites of some kind all over us. We tried to tell ourselves it was just us being outside but we would find bites in places that were totally covered up by layers of clothing when we were out. Paper thin walls by a busy street so no sleep either.

Athens Colorful Urban Home, Athens, Greece
1st Jan 2014

Miglen was AMAZING!! Felt right at home here and he was more than a big help The location is only a ten minute walk from the metro but you can pretty much walk anywhere from here. Wifi was great, place was good. It isn't the Ritz, for example the toilets have trouble flushing and the bathroom in general wasn't what I'm used to but the value for what you get is great. It can be loud due to the busy street. Maybe light sleepers be weary but aside from that I would recommend!!!

Prague Center Hostel, Prague, Czech Republic
29th Dec 2013

The hostel was really more of an apartment. There was a common room but it closed at 7PM and I never really saw anyone in there. Was very hard to meet new people. Aside from that it was AMAZING Location is only about a 10-15 min walk to the old town square or anything else really. You pretty much have your own apartment with a suite mate so great for privacy. Value is incredible

Barnacles Temple Bar House, Dublin, Ireland
27th Dec 2013

The location is amazing. If you go there to sleep at all, stay clear. You are right next to Temple bar and it is insanely loud until 330 am. If you come to party choose this place, great party hostel. Unfortunately I wasn't there to just party so no sleep was rough. Area of improvement: Wifi. It was not up to par to other hostels I've stayed at.

13th Dec 2012

Incredible hostel! Had a ton of fun! They even feed you! If you are looking for things to be a baby about then I'm sure you could find them here but if you come to have fun and not concern yourself with the tiny things then this is THE PLACE TO STAY! I see that many said they couldn't sleep, this is false! It isn't the ritz with sound proof walls but if you came to Miami so sleep then you can here... But why would you want to

YHA London Central, London, England
7.3
4th Jan 2011

Be warned, you must budget for expenses while staying here. They "nickle and dime" you for EVERYTHING. I suppose London is expensive and YHA has to make their money as well but as opposed to charging for every little things I'd much rather have them raise the room price so you at least know how much you're actually spending or they could get rid of the fancy doors and other non-sense for at least a pillow and bed that didn't resemble that of a prison. I believe there may have been better options