Reviews: JasonT77

Location: Canada, Gender: Male, Age: 37

Jackaroo Hostel Kings Cross

Sydney, Australia

Nice hostel with good facilities; however, all the so called free stuff, wine, BBQ, breakfast aren't really free. Business 101 - everything costs money and that cost is passed onto the customer. I'd much rather have a lower priced bed instead, and have the choice to pay for wine or BBQ night. A/C wasn't working for our entire stay. I don't think it's reasonable to have the lockers at basement reception instead of the rooms in a multi-storey, no elevator building.

Hi Jason, Thank you for noticing the nice hostel and good facilities. FYI - There are hostels more expensive than us that do not offer what we do, they may be cheaper, though the standards are also inferior, so may be worth looking considering that. This is something we add that costs us, not you. The A/C is working fine and as you can remember, the accomodation was discounted while the A/C wasnt working. Thanks.

Sayang Maha Mertha Hotel

Kuta, Indonesia

Value for money is poor, as the price for the room is outrageously high compared to every other accommodation on the same street. If you absolutely must book this place before arriving, do so for one night only, to give yourself time to look elsewhere. Our next place down the road was less than half, for better facilities. Wifi in lobby only. Buy mosquito coils (3K Rupiah - across street) for fan room as there are no screens on the windows, and you will need them! Breakfast is toast & coffee.

• 20th Feb 2013

Green Mango Inn

Manila, Philippines

The guesthouse was nice. Rooms were small. Wifi was average speed. English TV. The location is a bit far from downtown. If you're travelling on the cheap, getting to downtown requires a tricycle to jeepney to bus, and takes about 2 hours (8+16+37 pesos one way); otherwise you can take a taxi for a few hundred pesos ( or more depending on traffic congestion). Street food is available down the street. It's best to print off a google map of where the GH is, as most taxi drivers don't have a clue.

• 18th Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

Gracias, merci, thanks to our wonderful tourists from Canada! Thank you for coming here. Our place has Free WiFi, also Free Computer use, Rooms are different sizes (so if you're tall or big built, please request our staff to change you to bigger rooms?), English & international-languages on 24-hours cable TV. Public transport of all kinds 24-hours daily too. Most important, we're safest part of the city Metro Manila. Clarification please: The "downtown" you're referring too is accurately known as "old downtown", because new downtowns like Alabang Town Center is only 15 minutes away by tricycle or public transport jeepneys, please do visit this & other vibrant new downtowns. Thanks so very much for your advice on Google Map, we should do it right away. For this great suggestion, can I the owner invite you & your friends to free beers on your next visit? Cheers!!! We offer reasonable prices, no it's low prices, for a good international hostel because I the owner is a passionate traveller, so I want to have a good but not high-priced place for travellers of the world like me. Please help pass on the word & tell others? "Like" us on our Facebook page too? Thanks and warmest best wishes! :)

Cebu Guesthouse

Cebu, Philippines

When I read reviews from other travellers, I wonder if any of them have any standards at all. The prices are way too high for a disgusting moldy room, that felt more like a prison cell than a guesthouse room. We stayed only one night. Even though we are travelling low budget, we have minimum standards. The area doesn't seem safe as they have armed guards at the door 24/7. For what they offer, this guesthouse should cut their prices by 50-75%. Better places are available near by.

• 6th Feb 2013

Palazzo Pensionne

Cebu, Philippines

This is not a place to meet fellow travellers. The area is almost slums, and doesn't appear to be safe at night. The staff warned us numerous times about going outside with any valuables. The breakfast was good. We didn't see the value for money; as the prices are simply too high for low quality rooms; however, after staying elsewhere in Cebu, the rooms are better here, than other low budget places. White taxis using the meter are the safer, cheaper option for getting around.

• 1st Feb 2013

Gap Year Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

The 4 bed dorm on the ground level is very small. The owners are very nice and friendly. WiFi is decent. The only issue we had, was that there are only two toilets/showers rooms on the ground floor for the many guests. In the morning you may end up having to wait for a while to use a toilet. Close to 3 MRT stations (400m - 1000m). Prices are high, but this is Singapore, and accommodation is always expensive. 3 minute walk to Lavender Food Centre for cheap tasty food.

• 28th Jan 2013
  • Globetrotter

Very clean guesthouse. Double room was nice, with air conditioning. Shared showers and toilet were clean. Wifi is average speed. Very quiet accommodation, not really a place to meet fellow travellers. A bit over priced for compared to equal facilities elsewhere in Malaysia.

• 26th Jan 2013
  • Globetrotter

We graciously thank guest for their positive review of our guesthouse. We do have to apologise that in this part of Melaka old town, we are on cable system for wifi and sometimes if the incoming signal is slow from Telekom Malaysia, then, quality of wifi in the whole house is also slow. We do not know of the type of guests who would be in the guest house at the same time : some do talk to others, some wish for privacy. We hope guest compares prices to other UNESCO core cities as property prices have gone up by 3-4 times since Melaka's listing 5 years ago and rentals have also escalated accordingly. We thank guest for their comments once again and wish guest a pleasant trip.

L'armada Guesthouse

Melaka, Malaysia

We were checked in by a guest and didn't even see the owner until late at night. We were shown two rooms to choose from; one was musty without ventilation, and the other had exterior windows. We chose the one with windows. The room was unbelievably hot, even with the fan directed on us all night. No screens on windows, so mosquitoes were biting throughout the night. We left after one night, couldn't take the heat, even though we'd been in SE Asia for months. Wi-Fi is decent. Bed was comfortable.

• 25th Jan 2013

Allexsis Hotel

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The initial appearance of this guesthouse is clean; however, there is an underlying problem with poor ventilation and mould contamination. Strong musty smells in room and shower/toilet. Walls in shower are painted black, perhaps to cover up fungal growth. My partner and I both experienced respiratory problems after staying here for 3 nights. Blankets are really small, so ask for an additional one. Internet is fast, breakfast offered is toast & jam. Entrance is at the rear. Staff are friendly.

• 22nd Jan 2013

Som Guesthouse

Phuket, Thailand

Clean, simple, basic rooms. Slow WiFi. TV channels aren't clear. High priced for the quality of the guesthouse. 500 Baht key deposit is a bit much, but returned on checkout. Bottled water provided daily and clean towels.

• 15th Jan 2013

Gongkaew Chiangmai Home

Chiang Mai, Thailand

I love Gongkaew Chiangmai Home. I stayed here for 6 weeks in 2011, and now that I came back for a visit, I'm very impressed with the improvements the owners have done. The dorm beds are now soft, each bunk has it's own reading light and electrical outlet. The common area has been expanded, with other miscellaneous improvements. I highly recommend this accommodation. When I'm back in Chiang Mai again, I'll be staying here again. Meaw, Sombat & Erik .... We will miss you all.

• 4th Jan 2013

Ganesh Guest House

Jaisalmer, India

Excellent location inside the fort. The room was clean, had hot water showers during the daytime only. Wifi was utterly terrible! Owner was nice, but became argumentative with me when he learned we didn't book a camel safari through him. Consumer choice! We went to a nicer hotel after our safari for a lower price..... Side note: Camel rides are very painful, and the desert is mostly off season farm land, take a jeep safari instead, see the few small dunes, and save yourself pain and suffering.

• 18th Dec 2012

Vinayak Guesthouse

Jaipur, India

Nice guesthouse, short walk from train station, not really close to anything else. 3 minute walk to catch local bus #5 to the main sites. Staff were friendly and welcoming. Restaurant serves good tasty food. Owners allowed us to use their lounge after check out before our train. Wifi is very slow (too bad), cybercafes across street offer high speed. We did get bitten by small insects during the night; but I do believe the owners do everything possible to prevent this, it is India after all.

• 14th Dec 2012
  • Globetrotter

Management didn't know what they were offering. There is nothing deluxe about rooms. Management doesn't seem to understand HW keeps 10% booking fee. When we arrived we were given a substandard room, after MUCH arguing we were moved to a better room the following day. Hotel has 3 different names which is a bit shady. Restaurant is over priced, but there are plenty of options on the same road. Plenty of less expensive hotel options as well. Clean & Good location.

• 11th Dec 2012

Family Peace House

Kathmandu, Nepal

Other travellers obviously have much much lower standards to be rating it 100%. The walls in the rooms are covered in black mold and floors haven't been washed in eons. Hot/warm water is available only if you are lucky, be prepared to take cold showers. The bedding is stained and the blankets do not appear to have been washed ever. There are many other GH within a 1 minute walk from this GH for better value. We stayed 1 night and left for a cheaper cleaner accommodation. Would not recommend.

• 7th Nov 2012

Pushpa Guest House

Pokhara, Nepal

Probably the cleanest guesthouse in Nepal. Excellent hot water showers & WiFi. We really enjoyed our stay here. Would recommend this accommodation to all travellers as it's great value for money; however, I would not recommend the tours/tickets as we were ripped off on our bus tickets. We found out that everyone on the bus paid 60+% less than what we paid. Paragliding can be found cheaper on the main road. Two hour laundry can be found one street over for same price as 1 day at Pushpa GH.

• 26th Oct 2012
  • Globetrotter

The staff here were quite friendly. The building is old and run down. The room was large, but smelled musty as the shower leaks out onto the carpet. The washroom needs an upgrade. Slow WiFi was available. Security is severely lacking. The windows on the first floor should have bars on them. We didn't feel our stuff was safe in the room while we were out. Hot water takes forever to come, but is available. Over priced for the quality offered.

• 25th Oct 2012

Elbrus Home

Kathmandu, Nepal

When we arrived the Guest House couldn't honour our booking as they were over booked, so for the first night they moved us to a much lower quality hotel, then we moved back to the GH the following day for two nights. Breakfast was mediocre. The guesthouse has hot water; however, it does take a long time to come. WiFi is available throughout, yet slow. Located a few minutes walk from the main Thamel area. The GH is a over priced compared to other equal quality accommodations in the area.

• 22nd Oct 2012

Nobel Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

We stayed in the dorm for one night. Beds aren't comfy, as you could feel the springs in the mattress. The stair case to the upper floors is a very night winding staircase. Can't imagine how people get their suitcases up them, luckily we travel by backpack. Breakfast is alright, buffet style with limited options. Location is excellent, only a few metres from the Blue Mosque and not far from the tram. The attached restaurant is over priced, but there are plenty of options around the area.

• 20th Oct 2012
  • Globetrotter

Security is terrible and dorms have zero ventilation, so during the day the door is left open and unlocked to the outside, anyone can walk in and go. At night the air inside becomes damp from all the people. The beds are comfy, but the storage locker beneath is very tiny. Large enough for a laptop and camera only. The breakfast was the smallest breakfast we've had in all our travels through Turkey (considering equal value accommodations). Pickup and drop off service is available from bus stop

• 17th Oct 2012

Sabah Pansiyon

Antalya, Turkey

The double room was small, but good for a night. Breakfast was excellent; buffet and had tons of options, including juices, tea and coffee. WiFi was slow, but available everywhere. Luggage storage is available, but not really in a secure area. Shower had hot water, but low pressure. Located in the old city, just a short walk from the gates. There are plenty of food options around including the guest house's attached restaurant. Food is exponentially cheaper just outside the old city walls.

• 15th Oct 2012
  • Globetrotter

There is nothing special about this accommodation. The hot water for the shower takes forever to arrive. The WiFi is very weak or non-existent in the room. When you do have internet, it's very slow. Breakfast is a pre-dished plate and is quite small compared to other places we've been in Turkey. The location isn't far from the town, but with so many other accommodation options available, I'd choose this place as a last option. Most accommodations in town are listed on alternative booking sites.

• 14th Oct 2012

ANZ Guesthouse

Selcuk, Turkey

Hot tea upon arrival was very nice on the cold morning we arrived. Harry is an excellent host. Breakfast is outstanding. We stayed in a double room and the bed and washroom were decent. WiFi was very weak in the room. The guesthouse is located only a few minutes walk from the bus station. There are two sets of bicycles for hire; new ones cost a fee and old broken ones are available for free. BBQ dinner was advertised but cancelled as there wasn't enough guests.

• 13th Oct 2012

Metropolis Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

The 4 bed dorm was a very small, and only had two lockers. Beds were comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. The shower and toilet in the basement require the locks to be fixed. Showers had good pressure and hot water. WiFi isn't very fast, but available throughout the hostel. The map that is given out once you arrive has a good walking route to/from the tram. I'd recommend adding that to the images, rather than trying to figure out a good route on google maps. Hostel is close to all sites.

• 10th Oct 2012
  • Globetrotter

Close to most sites and amenities. Good value for price. The hostel appears to have 16 beds, yet only two bathrooms, sometimes you'll be waiting a while. Dorms are without A/C and can be hot in the room even with fan going. Breakfast 24/7 is quite a nice treat. The owners/staff are genuine and helpful when they are around. Hostel isn't staffed all the time though, which caused issue when I showed up with no one to check me in. Luckily a guest let me in, and I could rest in the common area.

• 29th Aug 2012

Way Hostel

Madrid, Spain

Dorms were spacious, with comfortable beds. Air conditioning couldn't get room cooler than 26c. Free breakfast is basic. The "free" walking tour they advertise isn't exactly free, as the guide reminds everyone throughout the tour that she's paid by tips and expects some sort of compensation. The location is excellent, only a few minutes walk to Sol, and the other tourist sites. Staff were helpful. I'd recommend this hostel; however, keep in mind it does cater to the younger drinking crowd.

• 22nd Aug 2012

Zorbas Hotel

Athens, Greece

The night I returned for another stay at this hostel I was placed in a room that smelled like urine. I later found out a guy got drunk and urinated on the floor. He was then removed from the room and given a room for himself so he wouldn't disturb myself or another customer. Seemed strange that we were left in the urine dorm, and he was moved. The staff were good enough to move us in the morning. Value for money is good, compared to other hostels in the Athens area.

• 18th Aug 2012

Athina Hotel Delphi

Delphi, Greece

The hotel is average. The wifi is terrible in the rooms, and the lobby doesn't really have a place to sit if you want to use your laptop. I used the restaurant area, but was told it wasn't available in the late evening. The breakfast is mediocre, but expected for lower cost hotels. Location is good, but then again, the town is so small, that every place is in a good location compared to the Delphi archaeological sites.

• 16th Aug 2012

RentRooms Thessaloniki

Thessaloniki, Greece

My rating reflects the lack of customer service I received. I originally booked for 2 nights, and after the 1st night I requested to stay a 3rd. I was told that it was no problem and there was plenty of room. Late on the evening on the 2nd night I was told they have booked my spot to someone else and I would have to leave; or I could twice the dorm fee for a private room. I checked out the following morning and went to better hostel. Try thinking about your customers, instead of a few Euros.

• 11th Aug 2012
  • Globetrotter

The customer was not assured of the vacancy of the bed. The reception did everything possible in the best of intentions to satisfy the customer by any means available. We prove daily that we do not prioritise profit against our customers' benefit.

Zorbas Hotel

Athens, Greece

The free guide walking tour was excellent (12 EUR for admission to Acropolis & Sites). The staff were excellent and helpful. The dorms need a bit more lighting. Paying extra for bedsheets was something I hadn't come across before in my 2 years of traveling. I would recommend this place to other travelers and will stay here again.

Brothers Hostel

Cairo, Egypt

The hostel is located fairly close to places of interest for walking, and getting around is fairly easy. The hostel itself is nothing special. It's a place to sleep, if you can get over the noise from the street. The tours they offer are well over priced, especially in this time of extremely low tourism, even with their "discount". There are no lockers or even locks on the door for the dorm; however, there is someone on staff around most of the time. Most of the electrical outlets are broken.

• 27th Jun 2012

Sunshine Bedz KL

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The hostel staff are very friendly and helpful. The dorms are clean, comfortable and air conditioned. The common area has a large screen television, with plenty of DVD's to watch. I would absolutely recommend this place for the budget minded traveler. The only recommendation to the hostel I can make is to attempt to install more electrical receptacles in the dorm and common areas. Thank you very much for allowing me to hang out and use the shower in the evening before my flight.

• 24th Jun 2012

Footprints Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

Nice clean hostel, with good security in the heart of Little India. Bunk beds were comfortable and had their own electrical outlet and reading light. Air conditioning is only on in late evening through to early morning. During the day, the rooms become almost unbearably hot to be in, or catch sleep if you've been out late at night. Plenty of shared toilets and showers. Less than 10 minute walk to Little India MRT station which is handy for getting around Singapore.

• 16th Jun 2012

Bodega Phuket

Phuket, Thailand

Nice clean hostel. Staff are very helpful. Nice bar on the ground level. Free towel usage was a nice surprise. Bed wasn't comfortable at all; very soft and you can feel the springs and wire construction inside. Very close to everything you need, mall, theater, beach, scuba diving shops, restaurants, street food vendors, and typical Patong massage / suit shops.

• 14th Jun 2012

Bamboo House Inn

Yangshuo, China

I stayed in the 4 bed dorm. This hostel is located off West Street. The blasting, pounding, earth shaking music coming from the pub, across the street, lasts until well after 3am. If you plan to sleep here, you'll need ear plugs for your ear plugs. The dorm had no key card access, nor lockers as advertised. Bed was large and comfy, shower was hot. English is well spoken here. Breakfast can be purchased cheaper at any restaurant on West Street. I cannot give a recommendation.

Green Forest Hostel

Guilin, China

I enjoyed my stay here. The staff are wonderful and very helpful. The common area is excellent for meeting fellow travelers. Learning t o and Playing Majiang/Mahjong was fun. The beds in the dorm are comfy, but the room can be a bit stuffy when a guest turns off the A/C in the middle of the night. I would recommend this place to fellow travelers.

hello, Thanks for stay with us , and give us the feed back . fine , let's play majiang in the next time ,we we try our best to make it better. Welcome back. helen

Five Elements Hostel

Dali, China

What makes this hostel an excellent choice, is the staff. The staff make this place wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. The home cooked meals were excellent; the beds are comfortable and showers have hot water 24 hours a day. The location is great, only a few minute walk from the West Gate. The halloween party was excellent and xbox night was a lot of fun. It's very easy to meet fellow travelers in the common areas. I will definitely be back! Already missing all my new friends here.

• 30th Oct 2011
  • Globetrotter

This hostel is in old city, a short walk through the narrow streets to get to the square. The dorm beds are comfortable and clean. There appears to be only two showers, 1 squat & 1 western toilet for the dorms. There may be more, but I didn't see them. I was here in the slow season, so it wasn't an issue. The hot water could be hotter, especially on the cold mornings. The staff were excellent to deal with. I would recommend this hostel to fellow travelers. Dorms aren't heated in winter. Brrrr.

• 28th Oct 2011

Five Elements Hostel

Dali, China

I loved everything about this hostel. It's a wonderful place. The staff are the best! I'll definitely be back!! I'll recommend this hostel to everyone I know going to Dali

• 24th Oct 2011
  • Globetrotter

The dorm beds were clean and comfortable. There is an outdoor pool table, but the fun factor of this hostel needs a bit of improvement. The attached restaurant serves good food, but the cigarette smoke from the smoking area does migrate to the non-smoking area. Not a fault of the hostel, but be aware that in Kunming there is no call service for a taxi. If you decide to take a taxi on departure, you'll have to hail it from the street, so plan your time accordingly for rush hour or shift changes

• 22nd Oct 2011
  • Globetrotter

Thank you very much for the review . Your advice is apparently both pertinent and appropriate, which is of great benefit for us. We will do our best to ask the people are smoking in the corridor.And that is really no call servise for the taxi in KUNMING,but its runniing all day ,just you'll have to hail it from the street and plan your time accordingly for rush hour or shift changes. Thanks a lot and enjoy your trip! Welcome back if you have time! KUNMING CLOUDLAND YHA Cindy

I enjoyed my stay at Lazybones. Really can't fault this place for anything. It's an excellent hostel. The dorm beds are comfortable; the food is great; the common area is a great place to meet fellow travelers. The wifi internet could be faster, as it bogs down at night when more and more people are on it. The hostel is actually across the street from the subway, not diagonally across the intersection. I'd recommend this place to other travelers.

• 16th Oct 2011
  • Globetrotter

We've tried our best, and now it's the widest bandwidth we could possibly get from China telecom, It's HTC and Apple's fault, you see everybody has one in their hand and occupies our bandwidth in peak hours (evening). Thanks for recommending our hostel to other travelers, that's really helpful! Best regards,

Han Tang Inn Hostel

Xi'an, China

Hostel rooms are clean, and have large lockers. The the common area is good for meeting fellow travelers. Walking distance to the bell and drum towers, and other sites.

• 12th Oct 2011

Qian Men Hostel

Beijing, China

I enjoyed my stay here. The beds were comfortable. The wifi worked sporadically in other areas outside of reception. The common areas inside and outside were great for meeting other travelers. The location is great, not far from the subway, and bus stops. Almost all the staff were friendly and helpful.

RiverSide YHA (Jiangpan)

Guangzhou, China

Has high speed internet but the location isn't the greatest. Not too much within walking distance except the subway and pier.

Sunflower's Home Hostel

Guangzhou, China

I enjoyed my stay at Sunflower's home hostel. I stayed a couple nights around the time of National Holiday, and would have stayed longer if the hostel wasn't fully booked. The home cooked meals were delicious, and movie nights were fun. The beds are very very hard. Feels like a cork board wrapped in a sheet. I've slept on hard beds throughout Asia, so I didn't mind; but some travelers may have issues with the plywood feel.

• 29th Sep 2011

Gongkaew Chiangmai Home

Chiang Mai, Thailand

I originally booked for 3 nights, and ended up staying about 6 weeks. I loved this place. The staff are amazing, and became like family. The hostel is clean and well kept, fast internet & wifi, close to the mall & theatre, a short journey by songteaw or tuk-tuk to the night market. The front desk can arrange most tours and treks.

• 19th Apr 2011

Sawasdee Krungthep Inn

Bangkok, Thailand

The cost for the room is a bit high compared others I checked in the local area. The WiFi is only available in the lobby and intermittent. Most of the staff were pleasant and helpful; however, there were a couple that were very rude. The travel/tour desk that operates in the Inn, doesn't seem to be a part of that business. The built-in cost for their booking service is more than the cost of the tickets alone. Not really important, but the room TV only has Thai language channels available

• 12th Apr 2011

Sleeping Inn Backpackers

Surfers Paradise, Australia

The hostel has an interesting configuration for room 6A/B with 2 bunk beds located in the area between the washroom and kitchen, and a tv room with no place to sit other than on someone else's bunk. The British girl who manages the hostel is absolutely gorgeous; worthwhile staying here just to see her. She's also very friendly and helpful. The internet / wifi options are outrageously expensive.