Location: England, Age: 25

Hostel 109

Adelaide, Australia

Hostel 109 was my favourite hostel in Adelaide and perhaps Australia! The facilities here are great; free wifi, free computers to use with internet, nice showers, kitchen, clean toilets, iron, ironing board, TV/Sofa area, washing machine, dryer and free washing powder to use. The staff are also brilliant - I had a skype interview and as the computers didn't have a webcam Josh offered me his laptop to use! (Thank you!) Highly recommend staying here if you're ever in Adelaide.

• 1st Feb 2014

Backpack Oz

Adelaide, Australia

Backpack Oz is a good place to stay and meet fellow travellers. It has free wifi and a free BBQ night with other activities going on in the bar during the week. The staff are friendly and enthusiastic. The only downside I felt was the cleanliness, my feet would be black if I walked around bare foot and I felt the showers could be updated as they're a little old. I also saw a cockroach on the wall... Gross :(

• 28th Jan 2014
  • Globetrotter

Thanks for staying at Backpack OZ. We appreciate your feedback. We had all our carpets professionally steamed cleaned only a few weeks ago. With hundreds of feet and shoes walking over the carpets every day, they are sure to get dirty again. Cheers Backpack OZ

Space Hotel

Melbourne, Australia

Space Hotel is like staying in a hotel, TV in room and a very comfy bed! Shared bathrooms are clean with great showers. Staff seemed a little stressed out whenever I went past reception. Facilities are great here though. Nice quiet place to stay, if you're not staying next to loud French partying friends at 4AM who are in the opposite room -_-

• 9th Jan 2014

Cocoa Mews

Penang, Malaysia

Cocoa Mews was a nice little guesthouse in Penang. Bathrooms not in rooms so you do have to walk down the corridor in the morning, bed wasn't too comfy and the room is very small. There is a DVD player in your room though and some DVD's to chose from in reception which lifts things up a little as there's no real common area to chill out other than your room. Staff are very nice.

• 11th Dec 2013

Sunshine Bedz KL

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I didn't really like sunshine bedz (sorry!) I thought our room, which had no window, was a bit dirty and grimy. Same with reception, there's not much work done to it, I was expecting more from the reviews. Location is good, you're in one of the central parts of KL and very close to a metro station and a mall which has it's own rollercoaster inside!

• 7th Dec 2013

Phi Phi Chang Grand Resort

Koh Phi Phi, Thailand

A man met us at the pier and carried our bags, which we were very grateful for. Phi Phi Grand is a few minutes walk away from the town and a sharp turn to the left which I missed a few times! Also near the view point (tough hike when hot!) Room was lovely, v. big with an equally nice bathroom. Not quite honeymoon standard but more backpackers wanting to treat themselves. Staff aren't great, our kettle didn't work so one man took it away to fix it but never came back (weird).

• 3rd Dec 2013

Phuket Backpacker

Phuket, Thailand

Only stayed here one night after a horrendously long journey; room was okay but the block we were in was a few doors down from the hostel bar/reception and the door wasn't locked. Seemed to be a bit of a party hostel from the bar so if you're into that then it's probably a good place to go. Went straight to Phi Phi the next day so I can't comment on the location!

• 2nd Dec 2013

Dozy House

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Loved our stay at Dozy House! Room was large, lovely and comfy and bathroom was clean and decorated nicely. Really good value for money, considering some of the hostels I've stayed in in Thailand at this price this one was definitely the nicest! Lady behind reception is really sweet and will help you anything (her son is soo cute too!) Bit of a walk to Chiang Mai centre but sometimes it's nice to be out of the thick of it sometimes :)

• 27th Nov 2013

Silom Art Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

I loved Silom Art Hostel! Stayed in a 4-bed dorm room this time which was spacious, had power sockets and reading lights on each bed and a separate toilet and shower room! The hostel's funky design is really what's special here but there are free computers for you to use and a cinema room. Staff could cheer up a bit tho!?

• 23rd Nov 2013

The Beach Village Backpackers

Koh Phangan, Thailand

Beach Village Backpackers is a nice place to stay if you want to be away from the Haad Rin beach craziness, but still drop in and out of there when you please. Room was okay, I didn't feel like it was too clean and the bathroom wasn't great. You're on an island I know but shower was never warm, always cold and had very little power. Restaurant, pool and pool bar is v cool and you're right on the beach which is better! They organise taxi's to Full Moon Party which is handy!

• 16th Nov 2013

U-Baan Guesthouse

Bangkok, Thailand

Stayed in a 3-bed dorm with a tiny toilet/showeroom. It seems like Joy runs this show on her own but she is a lovely lady and more than happy to help you with any questions. Room was okay, nothing great but a lot of hostels in Bangkok for this price are the same really. Location is near the metro but not a lot else around.

• 13th Nov 2013

Siem Reap Rooms

Siem Reap, Cambodia

We had a lovely stay at Siem Reap rooms. Our room was large with a massive and comfy bed! Room and bathroom cleaned everyday, really friendly staff who are always helpful you can chat and have a joke with :) only gripe I have is our room didn't have a window, other rooms probably do. This guesthouse have their own tut-tut drivers too so you can trust them with a price and you won't get ripped off. Thank you Siem Reap rooms!!

• 14th Oct 2013

Sunday Guesthouse

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

A little musky but for the price you can't really complain. You'll need to pay a little extra for air con so remember this before booking. The family which runs the hostel are really friendly and accommodating, they can help arrange tours or onward travel for you. Guesthouse is a little far away from the riverside which is the place to be - if you get a tuk tuk get him down to $2!

• 7th Oct 2013

Phan Lan 2

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Phan Lan is just off a small street in the backpacker district, which is great as it's not noisy when you want crawl into bed after a few too many beers on the main strip! Rooms are a good size and beds are comfy. Bathroom is okay, a bit old fashioned but for the price I'm not complaining. We took Cu Chi tunnels tour and our boat trip through the Mekong into Cambodia with them - both very good with good humored English speaking guides!

• 1st Oct 2013

Catba Hostel

Cat Ba Island, Vietnam

Had a lovely stay here, the owner is really friendly and provides you with a free map explaining where's good to eat and to go. We rented a motorbike from here too for only $5 and took the Halong Bay tour which included sailing around the bay, kayaking, snorkeling and going into a cool cave! Not too far away from the town but on a hill so can tire you out after a long day. Breakfast is good too.

• 19th Sep 2013

New Vision Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

Great stay for such a low price! We must have picked up on one of their deals, we were in a double room with no windows, that would be my only gripe but everything else was fine. Bed really comfy, free water and tea, free banana too! Would definitely stay here again, staff friendly and courteous. If you're looking for a good hotel instead of hostel in Hanoi I'd recommend this - and remember the atmosphere will be a hotel's one too, not a hostel''s.

• 18th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

Really enjoyed my stay here, dorm rooms are what you expect and you get a locker to store small valuables. Met quite a few people at this hostel I've stayed in contact with - the free beer hour is a good idea in case you're traveling solo and want to meet people. Great cafes nearby and st Joseph's cathedral! The shutters that come down at night and 6 in the morning are a bit noisy for lower floors though. Don't get too excited about the free breakfast.

• 9th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

Nice hostel with free movies to watch on the TV and comfy sofa downstairs! You can order food but there's not a lot of choice. There's a limited number of lockers too, so this would be a good improvement if lockers were available in the rooms! Staff are excellent however, an American lady was trying to find the correct medication which one reception girl rang and spoke to her mother (who's a doctor) and wrote down a translation for her! Shame there's not much in Nanning though.

• 5th Sep 2013

Garden Inn

Lijiang, China

Garden Inn is tucked away from the central Old Town Lijiang, which was nice, as you're not caught in hustle and bustle. It's very quiet here and beds are comfy but I did find myself getting a little bored sometimes! When I arrived I didn't know they arrange transport to Tiger Leaping Gorge and back - which is great, so they should advertise this more! Staff quiet but when spoken to friendly, great Irish pub down the road called Stone The Crows - they do BBQ's!!

• 27th Aug 2013

The Hump Hostel

Kunming, China

I stayed at the Hump whilst on my way to Lijiang and again to wait for my Vietnam visa. Rooms are very big, even for dorms, beds are comfy and you get a biiig locker I was able to stuff my whole 60L rucksack in! They do some tours, not many, one tour in particular was only open for Chinese tourists though. However, there's not much to do in Kunming so it's a nice hostel to kick back, on the nice rooftop terrace. Can get a bit livelier on weekend evenings.

• 25th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

This was by far the best hostel I stayed in the whole of China. I stayed in a dorm room, which has curtains to pull round your bunk to give you more privacy (never stayed in a hostel which had this - why has no-one thought of this before!?) Also a fairly big locker to store your valuables in and a bar/cafe which sells varied and GOOD food! The staff are excellent - especially Damon on the free bike tour! He is great. Stay here if you're in Chengdu! Tours provided well very well organised.

• 18th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

This was a lovely hostel for Shanghai - rooms were clean and the beds were very comfy and soft! Lockers were big and the cafe area had plenty of sofas to relax. The location is near 2 metro's which is good to get to other parts in Shanghai with a big shopping area about 10 mins walk away. Not bad !

• 31st Jul 2013