Luccia Apartments

Ohrid, Macedonia

No hostel vibe because it's just apartments. The guy who works there was really really helpful though, printing out all our boarding passes for us at the last minute and then chasing us on his moped to give us back the mobile phone that our moron friend left behind. We emailed Sunny Lake hostel (which is down the road) before we went and although it was full they told us to come down to hang out and go on their bar crawls and stuff, so do that if you're looking for hostel socialising.

• 12th Jul 2013

Villa Banana

Dubrovnik, Croatia

The hostel owner and her parents were very kind - picking us up from the bus station even though we were very late, giving us squash and biscuits on arrival, and our balcony had an absolutely stunning view. However, there frequently wasn't hot water or toilet paper and you have to be prepared to walk up A LOT of stairs in the heat to get there from town. Scant information about Dubrovnik or a particularly relaxed atmosphere as you're staying in a family home, but the location is almost worth it.

Residence Rooms

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Absolutely cannot recommend this hostel enough. Saed and his family were amazing hosts, driving us across Sarajevo in the middle of the night because we got the bus station wrong, and offering to post all the stuff we stupidly left behind. Large airy rooms in an immaculate old building, and the fantastic but devastating city tour told from Saed's own experiences of the Bosnian conflict was the stand-out three hours of our entire Balkans trip. Thank you so much!

Hostel Miturno

Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina

The girl working here was amazing and so incredibly helpful. She gave us shots on arrival, fantastic recommendations, taught us Bosnian words and was super nice when all embarrassingly all three of our cards were blocked and we had no access to cash. Thank you so much!

Lovely location with great views, really amazing bathroom which was a nice surprise, good little outdoor kitchen. The staff were pretty friendly, there's a bar crawl every night run by two Welsh boys who look like they've withered inside from their Hvar season but good on them, they're making a valiant effort. Generally just a very nice social hostel that's great for meeting people.

Hostel 24

Ljubljana, Slovenia

An okay hostel in a very good location, nice to get a free drink when you go in but the staff mostly aren't too concerned about the guests or giving information about Ljubljana. There was one exception, a girl who was really lovely and helpful but we didn't see her until nearly our last day. My main gripe was the pitch black windowless dungeon of a dorm - it's underground so there's no light until everyone gets up and it's turned on, so if you're leaving before about 10 you get ready in the dark

• 25th Jun 2013

Yo-Ho-Hostel

Varna, Bulgaria

Really helpful staff who also took everyone to drink in the park with their mates and then to a club which is obvz ideal if you're trying to save cash but still get as drunk as possible. Quite a party hostel but I had no problems with noise. Nice communal area, relaxed atmosphere. 4 bed dorm was nice and cool but I heard people complaining about the larger ones being too hot. Meat, cheese, bread, cereal, tea, coffee for breakfast, amazing. Restaurant downstairs super cheap and delicious.

• 23rd Aug 2012

Hostel Mostel

Sofia, Bulgaria

Probably the best hostel I've ever stayed. Amazing staff who were so friendly and so helpful, in a ridiculously relaxed atmosphere and a nice old tavern building. Free breakfast, dinner and a beer obviously a massive plus, not that we ever woke up in time for breakfast, oops. There's not a huge amount going on in Sofia so it makes sense to stay in a really good hostel where you're going to meet people - and the staff make a lot of effort to make this happen with bar crawls etc. Thanks guys!

• 21st Aug 2012

Di Angolo Hostel

Ohrid, Macedonia

Right so this hostel is amazing for location because it's right next to the lake but otherwise I wouldn't bother. There's never anyone in the common room, the owner is a bit creepy and you have to go downstairs to the restaurant to speak to the staff -we had to find things out from other guests because yeah, they don't care and don't have any maps in the restaurant or anything. No computers either. Ohrid itself is beautiful though so def come, just maybe stay somewhere else

• 16th Aug 2012

Star Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

I think this would have been better if it was busier, it was quite quiet when we stayed. The location next to the park is amazing, eggs/ cereal/ bread/ tea/ coffee for breakfast which is obviously a massive plus and the long haired bloke in particular was super helpful. There were, however, always people sleeping all over the common room in the morning so you can't use the computers which is annoying if you have to check last minute details, not a huge problem though.

• 13th Aug 2012

Eastener Hostel

Berlin, Germany

We stayed in a double ensuite in the building next door and it was fantastic. Really clean, really quiet, within walking distance to all the main Berlin attractions and about 5 minutes from a couple of metro stations if you want to go further out. Bars, shops and places to eat in the immediate vicinity. Marylise was amazing and we went to places that we never would have done without her constant help and suggestions: she is such a dream and she really made our trip. Thanks Marylise! Lucy & Jack

The New York Loft Hostel

New York, USA

In an edgy, arty area of Brooklyn- I arrived at 2 in the morning and everything near the hostel was still open. The hostel was about a block away from the subway as well so I felt really safe. I had, however, been on the subway for over an hour because a member of staff had given me the wrong directions when I'd called them earlier, which was unhelpful as I was travelling alone in the middle of the night. When I arrived the staff lounging behind the desk were incredibly rude but GREAT BREAKFAST

Canadiana Backpackers Inn

Toronto, Canada

A hostel that would have been amazing if it wasn't so geared towards the long term stayers, of which there are many. The common room is dominated by a large group of people who have lived there for months and are therefore indifferent to meeting new people. Massive "are you local?!" feel when you walk in and they all stare at you which I haven't experienced at a hostel before. Other than that really clean, great breakfast, pretty good location, helpful staff, and the cinema was a nice touch.

It is true that over the winter months, quite a large number of our guests were more or less settled here and at times they weren't as high energy as some of our shorter term guests. They have all moved out though and our hostel is back to its high energy, summery self. We hope the vibe of the long termers didn't put you off the hostel, come by this summer for a refreshing experience!

Alexandrie-Montréal

Montreal, Canada

Huge common room where you can drink all night, really clean rooms, great location for the metro and buses and city. The best thing about Alexandrie-Montreal is H, the manager, who takes about 10 minutes introducing new guests to everyone, showing them round the hostel, then talking them through things to see, do, eat and drink in Montreal. He's so friendly and always around to offer advice. And he carried my suitcase up the stairs, such a dream. I cannot recommend this hostel more. Cheers H!

An alright hostel; good that they have free bread, everything is very clean, in an excellent location for public transport and the city centre, and there are shops and bars less than 5 minutes away. Quite quiet though and with lots of young children around when I was there as well. A couple of members of staff were kind of off too, I found the girl with the bleached blonde hair to be sullen and unhelpful. But yeah, it was okay.

I had such a good time here, loved all the girls who were working there too, so much fun. Less than ten minutes to the beach, round the corner from all the buses that take you to other places on the island, barbeques on Sundays, breakfast every morning, a communal yard where you can sit and get rowdy until 11, and then there are loads and loads of bars really close by. Really laid back friendly hostel that I couldn't recommend more.