Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 24

I live near Dali and stay here every time. I've tried most of the popular hostels in Dali and this is still the best. There's the best food, staff, and they have cool extras like free DVD rentals and a weekly BBQ. Rooms are really clean and the owners' kids are the cutest!

Timeless Hostel

Lijiang, China

I loved the staff here! They made me feel ridiculously welcome. It was also rather easy to meet people here between the small but open common sitting area and the organized bus trip to Tiger Leaping Gorge. It's a little farther from the center of the old city, but honestly that's a plus. You DON'T want those crowds outside your window! Great bar as well!

I had a great time here. It was really social and I felt it was easy to meet people. Honestly, I spent almost all my time in Xi'an in this hostel because it was so enjoyable. Only fault would be the AC wasn't quite strong enough.

Sanlitun Youth Hostel

Beijing, China

I love absolutely everything about this place. I lived here for a month in 2012 and recently went back again for a few days simply because I loved it THAT much. It's a guaranteed good time. The common room is set up in a way that facilitates meeting people and generally the people that come through are some of the coolest you'll meet traveling. Close to Sanlitun a plus! Basically, don't think of staying anywhere else in Beijing.

The Lily Pad

Dali, China

Pleasant staff and nice rooms. Not the most social of places though.

This place is ridiculously loud. It seemed like the workers there were mainly work holiday people and I swear they were partying every night right outside our dorm.

• 14th Feb 2014

Crash Palace

Rotorua, New Zealand

The kitchen is subpar but the atmosphere was super social. My friends and I started watching Bridget Jones' Diary and soon this massive group gathered that we all later went out drinking and dancing with.

• 12th Feb 2014

YHA Nelson Central

Nelson, New Zealand

Best kitchen ever in a hostel. Pretty social as well. But mainly, THAT KITCHEN!

• 6th Feb 2014

Jailhouse Accommodation

Christchurch, New Zealand

Small kitchen, but excellent proximity to the train station with a free shuttle organized by the hostel. My impression was that most people there were taking the TranzAlpine the next day.

• 5th Feb 2014

YHA Mt Cook

Mt Cook, New Zealand

A lot of the stove burners didn't really work, but otherwise, great place! It's really cozy and it was pretty easy to start talking to people in the common room.

• 3rd Feb 2014

Adventure Queenstown Hostel

Queenstown, New Zealand

This place has all those little extras that really make a difference when it comes to how comfortable a hostel is, like A MILLION HOOKS OMG THE BEAUTIFUL BOUNTIFUL HOOKS. The kitchen was kinda small though, and one staff member sort of just kept talking on and on about how wonderful the hostel was, which I mean we knew already, we didn't need constant reminders.

• 1st Feb 2014

YHA Wanaka Purple Cow

Wanaka, New Zealand

I loved this place! Great kitchen, great views, great common area. Only fault was that it got pretty stuffy in our rooms. There was a skylight but it didn't do much.

• 30th Jan 2014

YMCA Christchurch

Christchurch, New Zealand

We basically chose this place for its proximity to the naked bus stop.

• 29th Jan 2014

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

• 8th Jan 2014

Manila Bay Hostel

Manila, Philippines

This is the worst hostel I've ever stayed at. My boyfriend and I requested the double room that had no current occupants, but we were told it was booked and had to stay in the smallest dorm of my life with pitiful AC. It was so hot even a pillow made me feel hot. The next morning, when we were checking, a man and what I suspect was his escort were checking out of the "occupied" double we had originally wanted.

Backpackers House

Nha Trang, Vietnam

This is hands down the noisiest place I've ever stayed at. It's filled with packs of Westerners just drunk and partying constantly. But at the same time it's not an easy place to meet people because everyone's in these giant drunk packs.

Catba Hostel

Cat Ba Island, Vietnam

Not so much a hostel has a regular hotel, so not easy to meet people, but the location is convenient and staff is super friendly.

Hanoi City Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

Nice enough place. Not a good place to meet people, but it has nice facilities and a good free breakfast.

MEININGER London Hyde Park

Excellent hostel. Very clean, quiet, and well run. Very good location too in a very safe neighborhood. Would highly recommend. Free luggage storage is nice, as is the lounge area.

YHA London Earls Court

This hostel probably would've been perfect if it wasn't for their beds and their bathroom facilities. I'm really not a picky person when it comes to beds, but their beds gave me some back problems. As for their bathroom facilities, half of the showers/toilet rooms weren't in full working condition. Either locks were broken or lights wouldn't turn on. My last evening there, I woke up to find out that the shower next door had flooded and that water had come into my room to form a puddle.

Bath YMCA

Bath, England

It was a very nice hostel. Clean and efficient. The staff was helpful nice. A negative is that you have to pay for the lockers. Breakfast isn't that exciting, but it does the job. It's very well located in the center of Bath within walking distance of all the major attractions. For what you're paying, since Bath is so expensive, you're getting a good deal.