Location: USA, Age: 30

Smart Russell Square

London is generally expensive but I still thought this hostel was expensive for that it has to offer. No free locker space; GBP1.50 for a small space under the bed and then additional GBP1 to have your bag/luggage store in the closet on the main floor. Safe - Security guard on every floor at night All showers in basement Shared outlet - difficult to charge batteries/phones Not as modern Location good - close to tube & 15mins walk to St Pacras Station

K&K Centre

Rome, Italy

Location is good. Not far from the trevi and train stop. I got the room that had a shared bathroom. Was lucky that no one else needed the bathroom, so was able to lock the door and use it as if it was my own. The shared bathroom is not as updated so looks a bit dirty. It is family owned and the wife was out of town. Husband made a mistake on my time arrival was not not available to open the door. Phone # on website is not updated.

Viadeibanchi

Cinque Terre, Italy

The room is a bit smaller than average for 2 people. Bed is more of a full sized bed. However, aircon was provided which was a great relief from the Italy summer heat. Location was good and staff met us at the time we mentioned we will arrive. Staff was also nice enough to let us leave our luggage in our room until we needed to depart (since no one else was occupying the room). However the room is on the 3rd floor. Steep climb. No free wifi but the bar downstair has.

Hostel is within 5-8 minutes walking distance from one of the bus terminals. Breakfast was decent, common area was spacious. I stayed in the 14 bedroom for one night. While I was there when it wasn't busy season (a bit more than half was full) we did encountered some mix up with beds. Apparently one tourist came in late and just took the first empty bed she found but that bed actually belonged to someone who was outside using the computer. This caused some yelling and shoting for a few mins.

• 7th May 2012