Reviews: Matango

Location: Netherlands, Gender: Male, Age: 33

Ringside

Koh Phangan, Thailand

Excellent place. Great for meeting fellow travelers, both for chilling out and party. Best value for money ever, except during full moon ofcourse ;-) Staff was great, place very clean. Add 100 THB to your stay if you want to use a locker.

• 9th Feb 2014

Suneta Hostel Khaosan

Bangkok, Thailand

Overpriced! It's a nice place, just far enough off khao san raod not to be noisy. But they ask too much money for a dorm room. Good stuff: clean, and nice place to meet people. Bad stuff: price and the staff being rude at several occasions.

• 2nd Feb 2014

Bun Kao Guest House

Siem Reap, Cambodia

I booked the dorm room. DON'T!!!! At arrival, they told me that they overbooked the place and there was no room or me. After telling them they can pay for my room in another place, suddenly I could stay after all. Wtf?? The dorm room turned out to be on the attic, with no ceiling just the roof itself. It is not clean, has no lockers and the showers are extremely basic. After the two nights I booked here, I moved to a better place.

• 26th Jan 2014

Eighty8 Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Hard to beat this place. It looks like a nice hotel with swimming pool, except it's for backpackers. Facilities are good, the bar serves nice food (luckily because I wasn't impressed with local food) and the beer is reasonably priced. Happy hour is a good time to meet people. Only con: Wifi is really, really slow. For cheap bus tickets, go to the bus station just around the corner.

• 23rd Jan 2014

Vietnam Inn Saigon

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Great place! The rooftop bar is awesome, and great for meeting fellow travelers. It is just far enough off backpacker street to make sure you have a quiet night sleep. Food and drinks are a bit pricey, but good.

• 16th Jan 2014
  • Globetrotter

Nice place to chill out at the pool for a day or so. The dorm room has only one shower/toilet, so plan ahead ;-)

• 14th Jan 2014

Sunflower Hotel Hoi An

Hoi An, Vietnam

Basically a hotel for backpackers. The free breakfast is awesome, and you can chill out at the swimming pool. Location is the big con, it is not close to town or beach. However, they have a free shuttle bus (sometimes) to take you there.

• 7th Jan 2014

Hue Backpackers Hostel

Hue, Vietnam

Very good hostel! pros = breakfast, very laid back atmosphere and chilling out on the balcony. Excellent place to meet fellow backpackers. cons = DMZ tour I would not recommend because its mostly sitting in a bus.

• 3rd Jan 2014
  • Globetrotter

Together with the downtown backpackers, this is the nr 1 party place in Hanoi. This was simply not my bag, it reminded me of an all-inclusive holiday in greece dedicated to getting drunk and laid. I really missed the laid-back atmosphere of a hostel, and found it hard to connect to people here. People stick more to their own groups and friends, staff is there to entertain people and whip up the party mood. Decide for yourself if you are looking for this.

• 31st Dec 2013

Wada Hostel in Guilin

Guilin, China

Nice hostel, with friendly staff and decent rooms. The menu is a bit pricy.

• 22nd Dec 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for your review. We're very happy that you enjoyed your stay here and that our staff were able to assist you with everything you needed. Regarding our food prices, we constantly ask for the feedback of our past guests about our food and have determined that our prices are very fair. We go the extra mile with providing fresh vegetables everyday, using high-grade cooking oil and many other high quality imported ingredients that other hostels probably would overlook. Happy travels!

Very good hostel, convenient location near the north train station and Wanshu monastery. I booked 2 nights, but ended up staying 10 nights. It has a very nice atmosphere and is a good place to meet people. Staff made a very good impression: when I booked the tour to Jiuzhaigou, on the tour I had to pay 50RMB extra. I got that money back after telling staff about this. only con: the common room is very cold in the winter, so you'll have to wear your coat and sweater there.

• 11th Dec 2013

• 7th Dec 2013

Han Tang House

Xi'an, China

• 5th Dec 2013

Dragon King Hostel

Beijing, China

Nice place! I've had some very fun nights hanging in the bar with other guests, and the staff were nice and friendly. The beer was too expensive (20RMB) :-( Location near forbidden palace is good, check out the BBQ place across the street for cheap beer and great food.

• 30th Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

Very cheap, basic place. I can recommend the pizza's, best I've had in 3 months.

• 28th Nov 2013

Comfort Hostel HK

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

• 23rd Nov 2013

Wang Fat Hostel

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Worst hostel I ever stayed in, and overpriced. From what I heard, all hostels in HK are crappy and this one simply confirmed this. It is just an apartment with as much beds as possible cramped in. The 10-bed dorm room is in the living room, it has no common room. Interacting with fellow travelers is next to impossible because everbody escapes as soon as they are awake. Do yourself a favor and book a better place, even when it is more expensive. Beware: all places at Paterson st. are the same org

• 21st Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

Only stayed one night, but the owner was nice enough to upgrade our room to a twin private. The location is great and atmosphere nice and cozy. For Taipei, the price is OK as well. Only con may be the shady establishment next door, but that didn't bother us.

• 20th Nov 2013

Shin Kao Hotel

Chiayi, Taiwan

• 19th Nov 2013

Formosa Backpackers Hostel

Hualien, Taiwan

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

When I arrived, I was sent to the 9-bed dormroom. I told the staff I booked the 6-bed room, and they simply told me there was no difference. Obviously, there is! Only after insisting I got the 6-bed room, and the staff treated me as if I was the one causing a problem here. Very disappointing.

• 2nd Oct 2013
  • Globetrotter

sorry,we don´t have real 9-bed dorm.I don´t know how do you calculate on Arrival by check in you didn´t Show our staff that you booked a 6-bed dorm this is very important and you came after reception time!!

Castle Hostel 1004 - Bled

Bled, Slovenia

Generally a good hostel, if you can find it ;-) Put up a sign guys!

• 30th Sep 2013

Old Town Hostel

Zadar, Croatia

The hostel is OK, but a bit pricey for Balkans. Also, you have to walk 3 stories up and parking is impossible because it is in the middle of the old center. Other than that it's alright.

• 28th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

We're the EU, not the Balkans anymore ;)) Hostel is in a pedestrian zone, so noone can park near the hostel, but we do provide information about free parking nearby.

Hedonist Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

Great hostel! The staff has made space for my motorbike when I arrived. They joined us for drinks and were fun to hang around with. All were friendly and helpful. It's a great place to meet people and when the weather is good the garden is fantastic. I recommend this place to any traveler!

• 26th Sep 2013

Day 'n' night

Nis, Serbia

Nice hostel, and the owner is a cool guy. I had a few raki with him and heard some good stories about Nis and Serbia. The place is new and very clean.

• 23rd Sep 2013

Hostel Mostel

Sofia, Bulgaria

Very good place for meeting fellow travelers. Also great is the secure parking. Not so great: communication about which rooms offer breakfast and which not. I thought I had the right one, just to find out on arrival this was not the case. Simply said you have to book the 10+ euro rooms for breakfast.

• 19th Sep 2013

Hostel Mostel

Plovdiv, Bulgaria

In terms of facilities the hostel is average, but the great thing about it is that it's a great place to meet fellow travelers. Added bonus is the secure parking for cars. motorbikes or bycicles.

• 18th Sep 2013

Boomerang Guesthouse

Selcuk, Turkey

The people running the hostel are very helpful and friendly. The dormroom however is very big and obviously this makes it less safe. There are no safe deposit boxes to make up for this. Other than that, good place for exploring Ephesus and overall a nice place to stay.

• 15th Sep 2013

Artemis Yoruk Hotel

Pamukkale, Turkey

Great location near the terraces and the swimming pool is a very nice extra in the summer time.

• 14th Sep 2013

Bayrams Treehouse

Olympos, Turkey

It's a very easy-going, laid-back atmosphere place close to the beach. Great for taking a few days off your busy travel schedule and taking it easy. The tree house dorms are a bit cramped, I would recommend taking the 4-bed dorm instead of the 6-bed. Offering both breakfast and dinner is a great deal, especially because both are really good. Only drawback I found is the unreliable WIFI, ask the staff for the 'secret' WIFI ;-)

• 11th Sep 2013

Sato Cave Hostel Goreme

Goreme, Turkey

Basically the best place you can have. Single beds instead of bunks, breakfast included, price below 10 euro, very nice and helpful staff and good location for exploring capadocia. For turkish standards the internet connection is good, but expect a dodgy skype conversation. Best thing of the dorm is the nice bathroom and the constant temperature of about 22C, day or night.

• 7th Sep 2013

TIU Front Page Hostel

Odessa, Ukraine

The hostel is very clean and run well by the owner, Adam. For any help on what to do or see, staff will help you on your way. The rooms are spacious as is the common room. Atmosphere is good, thanks to the nice common room. I can recommend this place to any traveller.

• 28th Aug 2013

Trotter's Den Hostel

Chisinau, Moldova

The hostel is in an apartment in the center of Chisinau, and very small. However, facilities are clean and the atmosphere is nice. Value for money.

• 26th Aug 2013

Kismet Dao Hostel

Brasov, Romania

The hostel has spacious rooms, is clean and has staff 24hrs. Because of its size and the good common room and kitchen it is a great place to meet fellow travelers. I have not found any bad stuff, the place is runned very well.

• 24th Aug 2013

Felinarul Hostel

Sibiu, Romania

It's a beautiful place and really has the traveler's vibe. Great place for meeting people.

• 23rd Aug 2013

Hostel Grand Place

Brussels, Belgium

Location could not be better, but other than that the hostel isn't very impressive... Expect the most basic facilities.

• 19th Jul 2012