Potosi: Cerro Rico Mines by Bamba Experience by Bamba Experience
Book this tourTo get started, choose an available date below to see prices.
Why Book With Us?
- Secure your Seat! Confirmed Online Reservations.
- Read Reviews of our Tours & Activities by customers who have experienced them.
- SMS confirmation of your Tour Booking.
Experience the interesting life of a modern miner by exploring an active mine. Take a 3-hour tour to visit the local workers in the active mine of Cerro Rico (at 4,400m) and learn
- Departure times: 09:00
- Takes Place In: Potosi
What to bring:
Included in price:
You will learn about the grueling work and challenging way of life for the miners who live day-by-day trying to extract enough rock from the mine to provide a day's salary which does not always happen. Purchase gifts of dynamite, coca leaves, chocolates and beer to take to the miners you encounter on your tour and ask for a photograph of them in their working conditions.
You will be picked up at your hotel between 9:00 - 9:30am and taken towards Cerro Rico to learn about the history of Potosi and the life of the miners. Before arriving to the mine you will stop at a workshop where you can change into waterproof boots and put protective pants and shirt over your clothing so you don't get dirty. Just outside the workshop you will see the miners' marketplace where dynamite, coca leaves, cigarettes, boots, and tools are sold for the hardworking miners. Here you can buy a few things to give as presents in exchange for photographs inside the mine (and quite possibly a dynamic explosion demonstration if you ask nicely).
The tour inside the mine lasts about an hour and descends approximately 2 or 3 levels to visit "El Tio", the god of the mine, and to get a feel for the harsh working conditions. If you wish to go further, ask your guide but proceed with caution and remember you are in a live mine with miners digging in the mountain above you. You will be dropped off at your hostel between 12:30 - 13:00 hrs. and will have time to explore some other great sights in Potosi like the Casa de Moneda (National Mint), Cathedral and Plaza 10 de Noviembre.
Transportation with Hotel pick-up
Entrance to the mine
English Speaking Guide
Does not include:
Gifts for the Miners (Can be bought before going to the Mine)
Suggested tip for the guide ($10 Bs)
***NOTE : You will pay a 15% deposit tp hostelworld.com to make the booking. We will then charge the rest of the tour to your credit card. If we are unable to get the payment and process the card prior to the tour you will loose your deposit and we will not book the tour for you.
Customers who rated this tour left the following reviews.
- In the event of cacellation the deposit paid is non refundable.
- Failure to make cancellations 24 hours before the commencement of the tour will result in FULL PAYMENT being taken from the credit card.
- Tour may be cancelled due to weather conditions. In this event customers will be instantly informed and the deposit paid will be refunded.
- This tour requires a minimum number of people for the tour to take place. Should this minimum not be met, customers will be instantly informed and the deposit paid will be refunded.
- The balance (total fee - online deposit) must be paid 1 week(s) in advance.