Full Day Tour to Plovdiv & Bachkovo Monastery by Traventuria
Book this tourTo get started, choose an available date below to see prices.
Why Book With Us?
- Secure your Seat! Confirmed Online Reservations.
- Read Reviews of our Tours & Activities by customers who have experienced them.
- SMS confirmation of your Tour Booking.
- Tour of the famous Old Town of Plovdiv, a candidate for a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Visit the best preserved Roman Theater (2nd century) in Bulgaria, which is still used for live performances
- Admire the newly reopened Ancient Stadium (2nd century), that had accommodated 30 000 specators
- The Ethnographic Museum, also known as the Renaissance house with the 120 windows, has an interesting exhibitions of costumes, instruments ect
- Bachkovo Monastery, located in mythical Rhodopi Mountains, is established during the 11th century and is the second biggest in Bulgaria
- The frescoes in the Bachkovo Monastery dining room expressing neo-platonic theory and the Judgement Day Composition
The cliché "you must see Plovdiv to see Bulgaria" is absolutely true and there is so much to explore in the country's second biggest city. Plovdiv (160 m a.s.l.), a 2 hour drive from Sofia, is situated in the western part of the fertile Thracian Valley. It is also one of the oldest European towns contemporary to Troya and Mycenae. With about a 2-hour walking tour you will learn about its intriguing history while exploring the charming historic quarter of the city - a fabulous architectural ensemble of beautifully decorated 19th century houses, the ancient fortress-walls, magnificent churches and Roman structures like a forum and stadium. In the afternoon a 30 minutes trip will take you to Bachkovo Monastery (est. the year 1083), a notable religious and tourist site. Enjoy the unique frescoes of the dining room and the facade of St. Nicholas Church, while your guide explains about the history, architecture and nowadays life in the monastery.
It is a small group tour.
Pickup: 8:30 from your accommodation in Sofia. Expected time of your return in Sofia - 17:30- 18:00;
Transfer time: 5 hrs total (2 hours to Plovdiv, 1/2 hour Plovdiv - Bachkovo, 2.5 hours Bachkovo - Sofia)
Walking time: 2-3 hrs, not recommended for disabled people
Best period: all year
Price: 2 pers. - 60 Euro/pers.; 3 pers. - 49 Euro/pers.; 4-7 pers. - 46 Euro/pers.; 8-12 pers. - 43 Euro/pers.
The price includes: Guidance in English throughout the tour, pickup and drop off at your hotel in Sofia, entrance fees (Ethnographical Museum, Roman Theater and Stadium in Plovdiv, the dining room of Bachkovo Monastery) transport with modern A/C vehicle (car or minivan) throughout the trip.
Customers who rated this tour left the following reviews.
- In the event of cacellation the deposit paid is non refundable.
- Failure to make cancellations 24 hours before the commencement of the tour will result in FULL PAYMENT being taken from the credit card.