The Canal Boat Experience (1 Night) by Wandering Duck
Book this tourTo get started, choose an available date below to see prices.
Why Book With Us?
- Secure your Seat! Confirmed Online Reservations.
- Read Reviews of our Tours & Activities by customers who have experienced them.
- SMS confirmation of your Tour Booking.
A great overnight experience offering a completely unique insight into the little-known Manchester city centre canal as well as escaping to the picturesque surroundings of Worlsey.
- Departs from: Tuesday Departure: Departs: Tuesday 9am from Piccadilly Basin. Finishes: Wednesday 11am in Castlefield Basin. Wednesday Departure: Departs: Wednesday 3pm from Castlefield Basin. Finishes: Thursday 5pm in Piccadilly Basin.
- Departure times: Varied
- Duration: 2 Days
- Takes Place In: Manchester
What to bring:
- Comfortable Footwear
- Warm Clothing
- Waterproof Clothing
- - Gloves may be handy if cold (also help stop your hands rubbing when operating locks).
Included in price:
Our "Through The Middle: The City Tour" is such an exciting new route. This isn't just about being on a canal boat, it's about seeing Manchester from a whole new perspective. This is Manchester as few people get to experience it.
We depart from Manchester Piccadilly Basin in the Northern Quarter of the city.
From here we head straight for the first of 9 locks through the city. Even those familiar with the city may feel disorientated as we head under roads and pop up in various places you never knew were so close to one another. We head along Canal Street, Manchester's world famous "Gay Village" where canal access is limited to those travelling through on boats.
If you've seen the film "24 Hour Party People" then you'll know all about Factory Records and the Hacienda Nightclub. We travel along past the site where the famous nightclub once stood. Various highlights in the clubs history are told in a timeline along the side of are now modern city apartments.
We head along the side of the nightclubs at Deansgate Locks, the favoured nightspots of the out of town visitors.
From here, we head into Castlefield Basin where you'll find the Museum of Science and Industry, the YHA, and many great waterside bars. We'll stop here for some lunch on the boat. Having completed 9 locks our work for the day is done! We'll then head out of the city, through a mix of derelict mills from a bygone industrial era, through industrial wasteland, and eventually past Manchester United's Old Trafford. The Bridgewater Canal was the first major canal in the UK, built to bring coal from mines in Worsley in to Manchester. It's a man-made feat of engineering which cut the price of coal in half overnight and helped spawn the worlds first industrialised city.
There's plenty of time to have a go at steering the boat this afternoon, or, if you prefer, just laze on the roof with a drink from the honesty bar.
We cruise over the Manchester Ship Canal on Barton Swing Aqueduct. This is the first and only Swing Aqueduct in the world, which opens to allow large vessels to pass on the ship canal below.
We'll finish the day in Worsley. We're still in the metropolis of Manchester, however Worlsey still retains the feeling of a leafy English village with it's tudor-style buildings, wooded areas, and nice walks.
We'll have dinner at a local pub and spend the evening on the boat.
After breakfast we cruise back to Castlefield where the trip ends. From here it's easy to walk to any part of the city for your onward journey.
Customers who rated this tour left the following reviews.
- - Customers must make cancellations in writing or by e-mail.
- - Cancellation fees for cancellations made before commencing the tour are as follows: Less than:
- A 4.00% administration fee is charged on all credit card transactions with the tour operators.
- Tour may be cancelled due to weather conditions. In this event customers will be instantly informed and the deposit paid will be refunded.
- This tour requires a minimum number of people for the tour to take place. Should this minimum not be met, customers will be instantly informed and the deposit paid will be refunded.
- The balance (total fee - online deposit) must be paid 2 week(s) in advance.