Volcanoes Hiking tour by Amigo Tours
Book this tourTo get started, choose an available date below to see prices.
Why Book With Us?
- Secure your Seat! Confirmed Online Reservations.
- Read Reviews of our Tours & Activities by customers who have experienced them.
- SMS confirmation of your Tour Booking.
We depart very early in the morning from you hotel heading south of the City, after one hour ride we get to the bottom of the Volcanoe Popocatepetl to "las Cruces" and begin the hiking, depending on the group we will climb to the first second or third stage where we can take amazing pictures of the Valley and Puebla.
After a very nice walk we will rest in the beautiful town Amecameca and have typical Mexican food (not included). After luch we will return to Mexico City in the afternoon.
Popocatepetl is a volcano with forested slopes,a snow-capped cone and a large crater. It is the second highest peak in Mexico, behind Pico de Orizaba (18,490 ft) and fifth highest in North American.
The name Popocatepetl is Aztec for Smoking Mountain; it is often shortened to Popo. Popo and its neighboring volcano Iztaccihuatl (17,343 ft) dominate the sky east of Amecameca. They are located less than 80 km from the Mexico City and are separated from each other by ten miles of high grounds referred to as Paso des Cortes .
Popo's last major eruption was in 1947, although on December 21, 1994, it awakened from dormancy, spewing gas and ash, which was carried by the wind as far as Puebla, 25 miles east. Surrounding towns were evacuated, and scientists have since been closely monitoring Popo for signs of a possible eruption.
The first recorded ascent of Popocatepetl was by the Tecuanipas tribe in 1289. The first Spanish ascent of the mountain was an expedition led by Diego de Ordaz in 1519. Emperor Montezuma sent ten warriors to climb the mountain sometime between 1502 and 1519. Only two of these warriors survived the climb.
Customers who rated this tour left the following reviews.
- In the event of cacellation the deposit paid is non refundable.
- Failure to make cancellations 24 hours before the commencement of the tour will result in FULL PAYMENT being taken from the credit card.
- Tour may be cancelled due to weather conditions. In this event customers will be instantly informed and the deposit paid will be refunded.