Manu by Axel Tours
Book this tourTo get started, choose an available date below to see prices.
Why Book With Us?
- Secure your Seat! Confirmed Online Reservations.
- Read Reviews of our Tours & Activities by customers who have experienced them.
- SMS confirmation of your Tour Booking.
Manu, situated in Peru's remote southeastern corner, protects some of the world's most important jungle wilderness. Not only is it the country's largest tropical rainforest reserve
- Departure time(s): Varied
- Duration: 5 Days
- Starts & ends in: Cusco
- Single room supplement: 100.00 USD
What to bring:
- Sleeping Bag
- Insect Repellant
- Comfortable Footwear
- Change of Clothes
- Warm Clothing
- Waterproof Clothing
- Binoculars, Camera and film ASA 200 and 400 for hte innet forets
- Sleping bag
- Warm clothing ( in case of a cold front ), long sleeve shirts and long pants ( cotton
- 100 % waterproof rain gear ( long poncho or rain wear )
- Insect repellant ( at least 50 % Deef ) sunscreen lotion
- One pair of lightweight ankle height bots and sandals
- Flashlight, enough bateries ( alkaline ) and bulbs
- Wide brim hat ( for sunny days ), sun glasses
- Towel, swimming suit, personal medicines and / or supplies ( liquid for contact lenses, for example )
- Day pack, and one back or duffet bag of luggage per person
- One bottle of water for the first day, plastic bags
Included in price:
DAY 1: Cusco-Cloud Forest
Leaving Cusco early in the morning, we begin an 8-hour journey over the Andes by bus, stopping for a coffee at the beautiful colonial village of Paucartambo. Continuing, we climb to the highpoint of the Manu Biosphere at about 3,530 m before descending to the cloud forest. In these mysterious surroundings we take a hike to the lek of the incredible cock-of-the-rock, to see the 'performance' of the males right under our eyes. We spend our first night in the rustic lodge Posada San Pedro (appr. 1,600 m).
DAY 2: Cloud Forest-Atalaya-Manu River
At daybreak we continue by bus to tropical lowland rainforest. Here at the small village Atalaya at 650 m, we change into a motorized canoe to navigate some 5 hours down the turbulant Alto Madre de Dios River to Boca Manu. As night falls we stay in a basic lodge, or camp next to that lodge, depending on availability.
DAY 3 & 4: Lake Salvador and Lake Otorongo
On the morning of the third day we turn up the Manu River for a 6 hour ride into the heart of Manu's Reserved Zone. From this vantage point we will have great views of riverside birds, sunbathing caiman, and the enormous aquatic guinea pig, the capybara. We reach our camping huts deep inside Manu in the afternoon. This will be our base for the next two days. During this time, we will hike through virgin forest and explore one of the most beautiful lakes of the Manu basin, Lake Salvador, by catamaran. There is a chance to see a huge variety of colourful birds, numerous species of monkey and with luck, a family of giant otters. There is another hike in this habitat-rich forest, that will end in Lake Otorongo and a 20 metre-high observation platform overlooking the lake. At night we can explore the forest by torchlight or go moonlight caiman-spotting on the lake.
DAY 5: Lake Salvador-Boca Manu
After a final walk through the forest surrounding Lake Salvador (flight schedule permiting), we return back down the Manu River. At Boca Manu, you return mid-day to Cusco by light aircraft , if you are participating in the 5-day trip
Customers who rated this tour left the following reviews.
- In the event of cacellation the deposit paid is non refundable.
- Failure to make cancellations 24 hours before the commencement of the tour will result in FULL PAYMENT being taken from the credit card.
- The balance (total fee - online deposit) must be paid 4 week(s) in advance.