1 Day Holy Island & Alnwick Castle by Timberbush Tours
Book this tourTo get started, choose an available date below to see prices.
Why Book With Us?
- Secure your Seat! Confirmed Online Reservations.
- Read Reviews of our Tours & Activities by customers who have experienced them.
- SMS confirmation of your Tour Booking.
Leaving Edinburgh we travel south to join the scenic coastal route into the Medieval Kingdom of Northumbria in North-East England once the most important centre of religious learni
- Departs from: Departs at 08.45am - please arrive 15mins prior to departure time
- Departure time(s): Weekly
- Duration: 1 Day
- Takes Place In: Edinburgh
What to bring:
- Comfortable Footwear
- Change of Clothes
- Warm Clothing
- Waterproof Clothing
Included in price:
Our first stop is the Holy Island of Lindisfarne, connected to the mainland by a modern causeway which leads travellers into the attractive island village from where there are stunning views of Lindisfarne Castle, (dating back to 1550) which sits on the highest point of the island. A shuttle bus takes castle visitors to and from the centre of the village, where you can spend time exploring, wander through the ruins of its Priory where the magnificent Lindisfarne Gospels were produced, sample some world-famous Lindisfarne 'Mead' brewed by Monks on the island, or simply enjoy the tranquillity and beauty which makes this island an open history book.
We continue south by the pretty coastal village of Bamburgh, "Ancient Capital of Northumbria," overlooked by its imposing castle, travelling inland to the bustling market town of Alnwick, whose greatest building is the medieval Alnwick Castle. Enjoy time at leisure in the town centre or remain at the castle complex where there is something for everyone. Home of the Percy Family for over 700 years, Alnwick Castle is considered one of the finest castles in England and proudly known as "The Windsor of the North", full of family treasures. Visitors can step into the unexpected in the spectacular Alnwick Garden, with its wonderful Grand Cascade and Poison Gardens. From Harry Hotspur to Harry Potter, this attraction will prove an exhilarating experience.
In the mid-afternoon we begin the drive north to cross the River Tweed into the historic border town of Coldstream. If time permits during this journey there will be a stop at Flodden Field, one of the best preserved battlefields in Northern Europe and scene of the infamous battle of 1513 which ended in victory for the English and the death of James IV, King of Scots.
Customers who rated this tour left the following reviews.
- In the event of cacellation the deposit paid is non refundable.
- Failure to make cancellations 24 hours before the commencement of the tour will result in FULL PAYMENT being taken from the credit card.
- Tour may be cancelled due to weather conditions. In this event customers will be instantly informed and the deposit paid will be refunded.
- This tour requires a minimum number of people for the tour to take place. Should this minimum not be met, customers will be instantly informed and the deposit paid will be refunded.
- The balance (total fee - online deposit) must be paid 1 week(s) in advance.