Tips for backpackers going to Sydney

Hostelworld's Colm Hanratty gives advice for people planning on moving to Australia for a year

Rate Our Video! Simply choose your rating below and click submit.



Add Comment
  • Add your Comment...
Fact Sheet

What's in our video about Sydneyprint

A very happy Colm Hanratty of Hostelworld.com gives you some tips on what you need to do if you plan on moving to Australia to work on a working visa (the reason he's so happy is because he's down at Bondi Beach and he used to live there!):
  • First thing you need to do is get a Tax File Number. You can apply for them Gumtree as well as in papers like the Sydney Morning Herald. You can also visit real estate agents.
  • For finding work you need to register with agencies. Some agencies specialise in work in certain industries so do a bit of research first of all.
  • You also need to set up a bank account. Shop around the differrent banks as they offer various types of accounts with different charges etc.
  • You can do most of the above ie arrange your Aussie bank account and find a job, as well as set up your Aussie mobile phone before you leave home at www.travellers.com.au(Traveller's Contact Point). And once in Sydney you can drop in to them for lots more services on Level 7 of the Dymocks Building in Sydney CBD.
  • Please give us your feedback