How to save money buying tickets for public transport, when the main museums in Paris are free and more.
What's in our video about Parisprint
Our video for Paris has five really useful tips on how to save money there:
- 1. Plan your trip around the first Sunday of the month
- Many of Paris’ main museums are free on the first Sunday of the month. These include Musee du Louvre, Musee d’Orsay and the Museum of Modern Art at the Pompidou Centre.
- 2. Chill out in Paris’ parks and gardens
- Paris is full of parks and gardens which are great for chilling out in when you want to pass some time without spending any money. These include:
- Jardin du Tuileries: This park in front of Musee du Louvre has a lake and fountain for relaxing around.
- Parc du Champ de Mars: A great place to relax right under the Eiffel Tower.
- Jardin de Trocadero: Small gardens either side of a fountain across the river from the Eiffel Tower.
- Jardin de Luxembourg: Located in the 5th Arrondissement, these are Paris’ best-known gardens. Is also home to Palais du Luxembourg, one of the city’s most beautiful buildings.
- 3. Save money when buying tickets for the Metro/RER
- When buying tickets, rather than buying individual tickets for single journeys buy a carnet (book) of 10 which will work out far cheaper.
- 4. Save money when shopping
- Instead of shopping in big malls or shopping centres, try the city’s markets. The best-known is the market at Porte de Clignancourt which is held every Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Here you can pick up everything from CDs to leather goods.
- 5. Don’t spend lots of money on beer!
- If you want to spend the night like a true Parisian, instead of spending lots of money on beer in the city’s bars get yourself some wine and cheese and relax for the evening along the banks of the River Seine.
- And finally....
- Stay in hostels rather than hotels. And to book hostels in Paris click here.