Find out to save money when ordering taxis in Manhattan, when shopping in Macy's and more.
What's in our video about New Yorkprint
Our video for New York City has five really useful tips on how to save money there:
- 1. Explore Central Park...itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s free!
- Chill out in Central Park for a few hours as itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s one of the cityÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s top attractions and is free. Highlights include Sheep Meadow, The Lake and The Bethesda Fountain.
- 2. Do other free stuff
- Do other free stuff. This includes:
- Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge: The walk takes around twenty minutes each way and boasts amazing views of Manhattan along the way. Make sure to check out the suburb Ã¢â‚¬ËœDumboÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ over the other side of the bridge.
- Staten Island Ferry: Leaving from Lower Manhattan, a trip on the Staten Island Ferry is a great way to get a (free) great view of the Statue of Liberty and Lower ManhattanÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s skyline.
- Grand Central Terminal: Arguably the most famous train station in the world. The main hall in the station is well worth visiting.
- 3. Save money when getting taxis in Manhattan
- When getting taxis in Manhattan, as most of the avenues go one way, try and get one on an avenue thatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s going in the same direction you are. This may mean having to walk a block or two but youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ll end up saving yourself time and money. And always remember to tip the taxi driver around 15%.
- 4. Save money when buying tickets for shows on Broadway
- If you plan on going to a show on Broadway when in the Big Apple save money by buying tickets on the same day of the performance at the TKTS booth in Times Square.
- 5. Save money when shopping in MacyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s
- If you are a non-US citizen and you plan on shopping at MacyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s, before you buy anything bring your passport to the VisitorÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Centre in the famous shopping mall to get the MacyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Discount Card. It knocks 11% off most goods.
- And finally....
- Stay in hostels rather than hotels. And to book hostels in New York City click here.