These terms and conditions govern your use of social login, chat, and the other products, features, apps, services, technologies, and software offered by Hostelworld, except where expressly stated that separate terms apply (such as terms and conditions governing bookings through the Hostelworld website which are located at https://www.hostelworld.com/hosteltermsandconditions.php).
By creating a Hostelworld account using your social network login, your profile picture associated with your social network will be used as your profile picture for your Hostelworld profile. Your Hostelworld profile settings are automatically set to public and you have the option to select a private profile by going to the settings page in your profile and selecting private. If you sign up or log in using your social network and change your profile to private in settings, your account will be a private profile in line with the next section (see Difference between Public and Private Profile).
Users creating a profile with Hostelworld who are not using social network logins will see the option for the public profile setting is highlighted on the Hostelworld page where you enter your personal details and users have the option to select private profile.
Difference between Public and Private Profile:
If your profile setting is public, your name, nationality, gender, age, whether you traveled alone, as a couple or with a group, and your profile picture appear beside any reviews you leave in relation to any hostel.
In addition, when you book a stay in a hostel featured on our website, you will see the profile pictures of other Hostelworld users with a public profile who are staying the same nights as you in the same hostel.
Lastly, two weeks before you are due to stay in the hostel you have booked through Hostelworld, you will have access to our chat functionality, where you can send and receive messages from other Hostelworld users who are staying in the hostel or who will be staying in the hostel at the same time as you.
If your profile setting is private, your name and profile picture will not appear on any hostel reviews you leave. Only your nationality, gender, age and whether you traveled alone, as a couple or with a group will appear alongside your review.
When you book a stay in a hostel through Hostelworld, you will only be able to see blurred pictures of other Hostelworld users who are staying the same nights as you in the hostel. You will not have access to the chat functionality with other guests of the hostel.
Terms and Conditions of Use
- Hostelworld’s chat feature enables users who have a public profile to chat with other Hostelworld users who also have a public profile who are staying in the same hostel for either the same night(s) or where Hostelworld users with a public profile are staying in the same hostel within a period of 2 weeks of each other. This chat feature allows images, video and messages to be sent to other users;
- Hostelworld do not charge you for accessing social features, the only charges that apply are those applied by your mobile phone or internet service provider in accordance with your data carrier plans which users are required to pay;
- Chat functionality can be stopped at any time for any reason by switching your profile to private. Hostelworld may modify, suspend or terminate users’ chat functionality or any aspect of social features for reasons outlined in these terms and conditions;
- Chat functionality is only accessible through users’ mobiles, this feature is not compatible with desktop applications;
- Users can adjust on screen text and size options for chat functionality in settings on their mobile;
- You must provide accurate information about yourself when setting up your Hostelworld profile;
- Certain users cannot use the chat functionality, such as anyone under 18 years, convicted sex offenders, where a user’s account has previously been disabled for breaches of our Terms and Conditions, where a user is restricted from using the functionality under applicable laws;
- Users must use their own social network logins for an account, passwords must not be shared;
- Users may not use social features for anything which breaches these terms and conditions, users must not create or share any of the following content or materials:
(i) material which is of a sexually explicit nature,
- obscene, defamatory, violent and/or unlawful content or profanity,
- content which constitutes or promotes bullying or harassment of another
- material that promotes or encourages the use or sale of illegal or regulated substances,
- content which encourages gambling, online casino or associated betting,
- material which is misleading, discriminatory, fraudulent or unlawful in any way or which infringes someone else’s rights.
- Users may not do any act or thing which could impair, disable or have a detrimental impact on the functionality of social features;
- Hostelworld reserve the right to remove or block content it deems inappropriate, or in breach of these terms and conditions. Hostelworld reserves the right not to provide reasons regarding the removed or blocked content where it has formed the view that doing so may expose Hostelworld or others to legal liability or where it may compromise the integrity of any system, operation or investigation, or where technical or legal restraints inhibit Hostelworld’s ability to provide such detail;
- Hostelworld may suspend or disable your access to some or all of the social features for repeated breached of these terms and conditions, or where legally required to do so. If a user feels their access to some or all of the social features has been blocked or disabled in error, they can contact Hostelworld at email@example.com to discuss;
- Users are provided with the ability to block other users and Hostelworld encourage users to report content deemed to violate rights or which may be contrary to these terms and conditions;
- Users can share or upload videos, pictures, or content in the chat functionality, provided you do not infringe any proprietary or intellectual property rights in such material. Additionally, by uploading such material, you are providing Hostelworld with the right to store, copy and share such material (for example with our service providers) by way of a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to host, display and modify and use such material;
- Hostelworld’s trademarks, similar marks, rights or images may only be used by users with Hostelworld’s express written consent;
- Users will be notified of appropriate updates to these terms and conditions and provided with at least 30 days’ notice (where possible), before the updated terms and conditions come into effect. Users will be bound by updated terms and conditions on continued use of social features;
- Hostelworld shall not be liable in any respect in the provision of social features other than as specified by law. Hostelworld do not accept responsibility for losses not caused by breach of these terms and conditions or otherwise;
- In the event that any part of these terms and conditions are found to be unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall continue with full force and effect. Failure by Hostelworld to enforce any of these terms and conditions shall not be construed as a waiver. Any waiver by Hostelworld of any of the terms and conditions shall only be effective if in writing and signed by an authorized signatory of Hostelworld;
- Hostelworld may assign any rights and obligations under these terms and conditions in connection with a merger, acquisition, sale of assets of operation of law or otherwise;
- Users, by accessing social features have provided their consent as the legal basis to the processing of their personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (GDPR). Users can withdraw their consent at any time by notifying Hostelworld at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you choose to withdraw your consent it will not affect the lawfulness of processing your information based on your consent prior to your withdrawal of consent. Hostelworld may also use your information where it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation for example to ensure the safety of users or comply with a valid legal request such as an order from law enforcement agencies or courts.
- Users have certain rights in relation to their own personal information which is processed as part of Social Features, including:
(i) receipt of details of personal information held in relation to the user, how the personal information is used and providing a copy of the personal information to the user;
(ii) delete some or all the personal information held in relation to the user;
(iii) change or correct user personal information;
(iv) receipt of user personal information in a structured, portable format;
(v) object to the processing of user personal information;
(vi) restrict the processing of user personal information.
To exercise any of these rights, users can email Hostelworld at email@example.com. If users are not satisfied with how Hostelworld has responded to a request relating to their rights, they can lodge a complaint with the Irish Data Protection Commission or with the user’s local supervisory authority.
- Hostelworld will only retain a user’s personal information for as long as necessary for the provision of Social Features and maintain stringent controls to ensure the integrity and security of user information at all times.
- Hostelworld use third parties to assist in the provision of Social Features and ensures these third parties maintain adequate security and controls to protect user information. Hostelworld ensure any transfers of user information outside the EEA, the UK or Switzerland will be protected by means of European Commission approved adequacy decisions or standard contractual clauses, as appropriate.
- Hostelworld does not knowingly collect information of anyone under the age of 18 as part of its Social Features offering. If users suspect another user is under the age of 18, please contact Hostelworld at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective February 2022