Books Hostel

Fabulous 1738 Total Reviews

• England, Female, 25-30
10th May 2018
6.0

If you are looking for a party hostel and that is all you are after then you have come to the right place! Atmosphere and music downstairs to go out and party is great but cleanliness in bedrooms & bathrooms are really dirty and not clean at all- be prepared for people partying all night till 6am or longer and not getting much sleep! Our room was so crazy and unclean that me and my friend cancelled our booking but the staff kindly offered us an extra night & did refund us.

• camille
  • USA, Female, 18-24
8th May 2018
6.6

I’m not sure why there are so many positive reviews on this place. While the people staying here with friendly and social, the hostel itself is just not nice. The sheets are stained and ripped and you have to make your own bed, everything is pretty grimy, AC does not work and the rooms are really small. The staff was kind, there was an extremely creepy guy in my room and they let me switch late at night. Location is ok but not in a neighborhood with lots to do and not safe at night.

Dear former guest, Thanks for your feedback. We will work to improve it starting with new bed sheets. The air con works, however, due to a lot of people asking to turn off, we normally wait people to ask. Sorry. We will try to improve.

• England, Male, 25-30
19th Apr 2018

Brilliant staff, Alonso and Fillipe especially. They will help out with anything. Location was also excellent for nightlife.

• Ireland, Male, 25-30
17th Apr 2018
2.0

If there was ever a more fitting description of a catastrophic mess, this hostel would fall into this sad category with some ease. Never in my life have I witnessed a swamp of shattered souls trying to 'find themselves' by lazing on couches that have con-incidentally changed colour by the sheer presence of the snorlax staff that project their attire on them everyday. During the course of a recent visit I managed to SUSTAIN this mid life crisis centre.

• England, Male, 25-30
14th Apr 2018
7.7

Not a huge party atmosphere when I was there but was probably due to it being a quiet period in general. It would be fairly well equipped to hold a good party with a decent outdoor bar and living area. Hostel staff are nice and friendly. Hostel itself is not the nicest, rooms and bathrooms are ok without being terrible nor amazing. Would recommend maybe 2 nights to see what the vibe is like, then extend if it’s good. Location is very good in heart of Lapa nightlife.

• Scotland, Male, 18-24
5th Apr 2018

the best hostel I've stayed at, good breakfast in the morning, caiparinha happy hour at nights gets every drinking together, great for solo travellers, wish I could've stayed longer, the boys Felipe and Leonardo are heroes and speak perfect English, incredibly helpful, in the best area in rio for bars, just stay at books yeah?

5th Apr 2018

The very best place to stay in Rio to meet people and party. The happy hour brings everyone together and you are guaranteed to meet great people! Would recommend to anyone who enjoys going out.

• England, Female, 18-24
3rd Apr 2018

I have never met better staff in a hostel than at Books. They were immediately welcoming & friendly, and they helped me with everything I needed. Great party vibe here, everyone is encouraged to socialise which is great. The rooms were spacious & bathrooms were big. Good breakfast with tea! The location in Santa Teresa is great, close to all the good bars, restaurants & street parties. The rooms could be tidier and the wifi was sometimes slow, but overall I had such an amazing time here

31st Mar 2018

A party hostel so it got loud but plenty of friendly people.

• kikirogo189504
  • Canada, Male, 18-24
29th Mar 2018
5.7

Went here for the party and party is what I got! Fun hostel to meet people and party all the time! The hostel organized football games, boat party's, and in hostel activities like beer pong tournament which was fun! Felipe, Alonso, and the 2 Danish girls were also very friendly and helpful. However only 2 bathrooms for the hostel both weren't overly clean and one wouldn't flush, no locks on dorm rooms, no AC, loud until atleast 12 so if your looking for a good sleep this is not the place!

We are glad you had fun, while at Books. We love to organize activities and any guest happy is a new motivation to keep doing it. I would also like to make a few things clear: i) We have 5 bathrooms, with 7 toilets and 7 showers in total. However, your review shows us that we need to have better communication in check in and also better signs directing people to it. Also in May our renovation starts and we will have one more on top floor (Huge demands from former guests). ii) We do have air con in 9 of 10 dorm rooms, it was unlucky that you had stayed in the only one without. Next time please let us know that is an issue, it is not a problem at all to move you to another room that meets your expectations and needs better. iii) We do have lockers for the guests outside the rooms for two reasons: i) We think it is safer, considering we have cameras in common areas; ii) You don't wake up when we drunk people need to grab money to pay the taxi after night out (One example). iv) About the noise: It i a bit hit and miss. Like it depends a lot on the guests at the moment and the atmosphere. We close the bar at 23h, and so the music (Friday and maybe Saturday it goes a bit longer). We will try to keep it a bit more strict. Thanks again! Hope you have another chance to try to beat me in beerpong and fail again.

×