Essential Hostel

Fabulous 772 Total Reviews

• izzykk123
  • England, All Female Group, 18-24
16th Aug 2018

Really lovely smaller hostel right next to the city centre. The staff were really lovely and welcoming and the atmosphere was very relaxed and friendly. They had free dinner for everyone on Fridays which was a great way to meet new people. The beds were good. You had your own plugs, locker, trunk, light and also a privacy curtain. Only downside were the showers. There were 4 of them but they all seemed a bit broken in some way and a bit dirty. They were functional but could be improved!

• christopher07088351
  • England, All Male Group, 18-24
14th Aug 2018
5.4

I woke up in the middle of the night to find a bed bug on my bed! The door didn’t lock at all and anybody could walk in at any time! There is no air con or fans and it was so hot that it was difficult to sleep! Staff were friendly however were not very helpful regarding the bed bugs. A member of staff said they’d “contact pest control in the morning” but I doubt this will happen in honesty. The shower and toilet facilities were dirty. No lockers just a little valuables box made of chip board.

• China, Female, 18-24
7th Aug 2018
6.0

The shower head is broken, never got a warm shower. No fan and no window curtain in the room. It was too hot and loud. I don't think the bed sheet is clean, because I was allergic. The staff took away my locket without reminding, if I didn't ask about it maybe I need to pay for it. The location is good, quite safe, the people at reception are nice and friendly. But it doesn't worth.

• hannahcoyleasbil7911
  • Canada, Female, 18-24
7th Aug 2018
2.0

On leaving the hostel we noticed bites all over our bodies. We checked the beds and they were filled with bed bugs. The staff were not shocked when we told them, it seemed to be A common complaint. We were shocked and disappointed with how the situation was handled and don’t believe anyone should stay at the essential hostel until the situation is under control. Would never recommend this hostel to anyone, unless you want bed bugs.

• Netherlands, Female, 18-24
5th Aug 2018
7.4

The location is perfect! The rooms are nice as well. Not too clean and breakfast service could have been better (we had to ask everytime for bread or milk because they ran out)

• tomasayer4351
  • England, Couple, 18-24
4th Aug 2018
7.4

The hostel on a whole was good. However the water pressure and temperature in the shower was awful. The shower wasn't powerful enough to actually come out, so occasionally it was actually impossible to shower. When it was working it was so weak, and also it was either freezing cold or scolding hot.

• anja4394
  • Denmark, Female, 18-24
3rd Aug 2018

This hostel was more then we expected We where there for 3 nights The staff was helpful and friendly They arrange social events for the guest and there is a free breakfast For the cost and given the location I would definitely recommend it. On Sundays there is free dinner for the guest made by the employes, whom you can feel enjoy their work. So if you are travelling for a while, this is a good break from regular hostels, it feels like you are visiting friends.

• New Zealand, Male, 25-30
1st Aug 2018
6.9

Good hostel good staff...but had bed bugs. They said they couldn’t change me to a different bed. Changed mistress and bedding and washed my clothes for me. Another guest had the same issue but they lived him to another bed, so unsure why they couldn’t move me!

• Germany, Mixed Group, 18-24
1st Aug 2018

overall a great hostel with free breakfast and activities like wine tasting in a park. only the water in the shower was really cold sometimes

18th Jul 2018
5.7

Literally the worst hostel I’ve ever been to. They clearly do not care at all. The showers are disgusting and have mold growing in them, the part that holds up the shower head high was broken in all 3 showers. The hairdryers didn’t work. The rooms have dust hanging out on the top of bed frames along with the floor that looks like it hasn’t been cleaned in years. There was trash and used glasses there when I got there and I specifically asked them to remove it and no one ever did during my stay

Hey there, we are sorry our hostel couldn't match your needs. Hope next time you won't be disappointed. Cheers, Essential Team

×