Hootananny Hostel

Fabulous 1316 Total Reviews

• England, Female, 25-30
29th Sep 2018
6.3

A bit rough around the edges. There is a definite lack of good hostels in London and this confirms it. The security to get to your room is very convoluted and old school: three separate door codes and a key. If you loose the flimsy piece of paper you're buggered, definitely key cards needed. I didn't feel entirely safe there and it was obvious that there very some 'long term' residents staying there. Getting free entry and 20% of drinks at the bar was a plus.

• amygraham-6759
  • England, Female, 18-24
27th Sep 2018

good facilities, secure and safe, felt like a big house in a really good way :)

• England, Male, 25-30
17th Sep 2018

Best hostel in London, in a great location. It has easy access to the tube station, local events and shopping, with supermarket and large park very close. Staff very friendly and helpful throughout my stay, and the hostel itself has a nice safe atmosphere. The room and bed was great and excellent value for money. Shower and washing facilities were clean and of a good number, the kitchen seemed well equipped. The other guests were friendly and the common areas were welcoming. Will stay again

11th Sep 2018

Overall, the best hostel in London for me. The Hoot is quite unique, the vibe is more like a big house and it has that communal and positive feel to it. The living room and kitchen are great and really spacious (such a rare thing amongst London hostels), security is excellent and it's above a lively pub and in the heart of Brixton/Herne Hill, with great rail and bus connections, food and nightlife all around and even a lovely park two minutes away. Great staff, interesting people. Recommended!

• Spain, Female, 18-24
8th Sep 2018
5.4

I was stolen 300 euros last week. Hostel is cool but be careful.

We are deeply sorry that that happened here. We are always trying to improve security and be active in making sure this is a safe place to be, but like any hostel we can't always account for the scumbags of the world. Secure lockers are provided and CCTV is present throughout the building. We always recommend that the lockers are used for any valuables. We wish you better luck in your future journeys. All the best!

• New Zealand, Male, 25-30
4th Sep 2018

Loved this place. Best time I've had in London. Good vibes and excellent company

26th Jul 2018
6.3

Quite small and simple hostel and very hot in hot weather. No air conditioning. The atmosphere could have been better. Lot of noise from downstairs. Someone stole my food from the fridge which was not nice.

• Australia, Female, 18-24
28th Jun 2018
6.0

More of a half way house than a hostel. Many of the people there permanent residents with what seemed to look like substance problems. The staff member who collected me from the entrance brought me into the pitch black pub and locked the door behind me, without explaining he was taking me to the hostel. I felt incredibly unsafe as a solo female traveler, and lasted 3 hours before cancelling my stay. They did give me 50% of my money back though. I don’t like writing bad reviews but needed to warn

Im really sorry to hear you had that experience with us! We have now installed flood lighting in our live-music venue and had a talk to the hostel staff to make the check-in procedure brighter and friendlier for everyone! We don't operate as a half-way house and anyone who tries to use us as such gets moved on very promptly. Our business model is for international travellers and we do you very best to accomodate people to have the most comfortable stay possible. My apologies again that you did not feel this was the case. All the best in your future travels!

• KJmeroniuk
  • Canada, Mixed Group, 18-24
25th Apr 2018
7.1

Location was easy to find from the tube and staff at the bar were helpful. Beds were ok in terms of comfort but squeaky when you climbed them. I really liked how the rooms had a lock on the door but that didn't prevent my roommates from rearranging my luggage (nothing missing). Luggage storage options aren't great so we were a bit sketched out; however there are smaller lockers to store items in. All in all its a good place to stay and explore.

×