Melbourne City Backpackers

Amazing place

• Australia, Male, 25-30
5th Nov 2018
4.3

Rooms were filthy and smelly.

• Canada, Female, 18-24
20th Oct 2018
5.1

I booked this hostel because of the price and the reviews. I stayed one night in a four bed female dorm and other than the location I was not impressed. I wouldn’t not stay here again. I was put in a room with three other girls that were staying there long term. The vibe in my room was very depressing. A new employee who had just moved to Melbourne was working the night of my stay so she didn’t know the area well either!

Thanks for the feedback. We try to create a fun and welcoming atmosphere for all guests no matter the length of their stay. Our common area is open 24 hours and we have free dinner and drink nights every week to help people get to know each other. Many of our staff have lived in Melbourne for years and know the area inside out! We have recently taken on a new staff member so please be patient while they get up to speed :)

19th Oct 2018

Good hostel for the money, esp for 2-person room. Right next to train/bus station & short walk Elizabeth St with many markets and restaurants. Like many Melbourne hostels there is a large % of long term residents on work visas. This can make it a bit more difficult to make connections as a solo traveler since cliques are already formed. That said I was able to meet some interesting people since chess games seemed to be the go-to-game when I was there. Free wifi was ok but just in common area.

• tylerroden94
  • England, Couple, 18-24
6th Oct 2018

Really nice hostel for what we wanted , everything was good and staff where very helpful when we needed them. Only downside was everyone was there for a long stay and was therefore in friendship groups prior to our arrival and ultimately other than our roommates had zero contact with anyone.

Thanks for staying with us :) We really want all guests to feel welcome and be able to make new friends no matter the length of their stay. We have free dinner and drinks nights to help break the ice and bring people together. Hope to see you next time!

• aislingharpur887169
  • Ireland, Female, 25-30
5th Oct 2018
2.0

Awful hostel. Staff were rude and unprofessional. Room was dirty and cold. Not enough showers or toilets. No lift in the building. Most people are living in the hostel long term so it is not social and everyone is in a click already. Luggage room was so small I couldn’t even fit my luggage into it when I was leaving.

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We want all guests to be comfortable and able to make new friends. We have extra blankets for anyone feeling cold and free dinner/drink nights to help people get to know each other. Weekends are our busiest times which can fill-up our luggage room but we have extra spaces to use, just ask reception :)

• Netherlands, Couple, 25-30
1st Oct 2018

Perfect place to get started in Melbourne, from here we got into the Australian way of life. You can find all kinds of people and you'll feel like part of the family pretty fast. They do a good job keeping everything as clean as possible, even if a lot of things feel outdated. The only thing that bothered me were the showers, they don't seem to keep a regular temperature but I'm sure it's fixable. Loved all the free activities, especially the pancakes on Sunday! Thanks for hosting us!

Thanks for staying with us :) Cya next time!

• Australia, Male, 25-30
30th Sep 2018

Clean backpackers, with outstanding customer service!

• Ireland, Female, 18-24
30th Sep 2018
7.4

Nice hostel, central location, rooms are clean enough, lockers and ok beds could be comfier but could be worse. Kitchen was always a bit gross, toaster never worked for the breakfast. Staff weren't very friendly or welcoming. Mostly people living here long term and working so not much a travellers hostel if you're looking for that, with that saying I don't think it's very easy to become part of the live in group of people either.

Thank you for the feedback, we are always trying to improve our facilities and have replaced a number of beds the last month. We want all guests to feel welcome and included no matter how long they are staying. Everyone is encouraged to join our free dinners and drinks to help break the ice and get to know each other. Hope to see you next time!

• New Zealand, Male, 25-30
26th Sep 2018

Amazing vibes and a great place to make new friends!

Great to hear you've made some new mates :D

×