Tram Stop 14 Backpackers

• New Zealand, Female, 18-24
  • Globetrotter
15th Mar 2018
7.1

You get your own locker and set of crockery which is a great idea! There are a LOT of long termers but all super lovely and welcoming. Only complaint is a staff member cleaning the kitchen in the morning screamed and swore at me to get out while she was cleaning... completely unacceptable way to speak to guests and for this reason would think twice about recommending this hostel

As the owner of the hostel I can assure you it wasn't a staff member who spoke to you like that. More likely a resident helping out with some of the cleaning. Can I make a suggestion, when you are staying in a hostel, hotel etc, and something like this happens, tell the managers straight away so that they can address the problem on the spot. This will stop it from happening again. Thank you for your review and for staying in our hostel.

27th Jan 2018
6.9

Overall, it isn't a bad hostel. I thoroughly enjoyed the location, Fitzroy is a fun neighbourhood and has a lot to do in it. The biggest issue with this hostel is the fact that 3/4 of the 'residents' are actually residents that have been living there anywhere from 6 months to a year. This caused a lot of distance between those of us traveling and those who were living there. Also, the owner wasn't the most approachable, though he was never unfair or unfriendly. The place was well kept and clean.

We do have some long-term residents, although 75% is stretching things a bit. What can I say, people come and they love it here and they wouldn't stay long-term if the owner "wasn't the most approachable", and I should know because I am the owner. Thank you for your review of our hostel.

• France, Female, 18-24
18th Jan 2018

Hostel really good to meet a lot of people, and clean!!

Kitchen, toilets, showers and cleaned every day, linen every seven days. We also expect and encourage our residents to clean up after they have used the kitchen and most do. Thank you for your review of our hostel.

29th Nov 2017

Located in Fitzroy and within walking distance to CBD. I stayed in a 3BD dorm and it was fine. Facility was basic as most hostels are but bathrooms were always clean so that was nice! Wifi is ok but signal was better in lounge. Would love to have stronger AC as room got a bit stuffy on hot days.The hostel itself is mostly full of long-timers which is great if you're planning on living in Melbourne for a while! I thought they were friendly. Overall, I thought it was a good value and good vibes :)

Staying in our hostel suits people who want to stay long-term whilst they are working and they are most welcome to do so. We do have a friendly group of people with us and they always welcome new residents. Thank you for your review of our hostel.

18th Nov 2017
6.3

Staff is nice but facilities are rather limited. It's a cheap hostel by it's messy and I found cockroaches in the bathroom. And the kitchen was dirty as well. On the other side, full of young people if you want to socialize.

We are in the process of painting the hostel. Unfortunately this makes things a bit difficult. The kitchen can be messy (not dirty) but it is cleaned every day. The managers aren't responsible for the cooking and cleaning habits of residents. Thank you for your review of our hostel.

• Scotland, Female, 18-24
7th Nov 2017
4.9

Hostel is filled with long termers - avoid unless you're looking for that exact game. Staff were down right rude, unwelcoming with no customer service at all and I begun counting down the days til I could leave. Facilities are pretty limited - design and layout of the building is questionable. I had a room with no windows, only opening out to the 'lounge' with my bed being right next to the tv on the other side of the window.

Let's get the record straight. Staff have never been "down right rude" to residents who are our bread and butter. If we were, we wouldn't still be in business. We're sorry you counted down the days until you could leave because you were very happy when we gave you a discount on your rates. You were in two different rooms, both with windows. Thank you for your review of our hostel.

×