Westend Backpackers

6.7
Good 1257 Total Reviews

6th Nov 2018
4.9

We booked in for 4 nights and ended up only staying for one, fully understanding there are no refunds given. We were shook by how dirty it was, it's nothing like the pictures. The bathroom never got cleaned, duvets never washed (just folded back up) and several cockroaches. Facilities were definitely not up to standard with one working elevator for 13 floors. It was cheap and in a good location to the city center but I wouldn't stay there again.

• amandafransham5693
  • USA, Mixed Group, 25-30
6th Nov 2018
5.4

While we understood that paying ~$15 for a bed was inexpensive, but the value was not there. We stayed in “the church” (32 beds in one room) and knew that would be an experience. My #1 issue is the cleanliness—the carpet was extremely dirty and the room smelled because of it. Also, the air conditioning either didn’t work well or wasn’t turned on, so the combo of dirty carpet and warm temperatures left for a less than pleasant situation. Just know what you’re getting into before you book.

• dabutle
  • England, Male, 25-30
5th Nov 2018
5.4

Place is a dump, common area is like a squatters house. Good location that’s about it!

• steveritchie3919026
  • New Zealand, Male, 31-40
28th Oct 2018

Overall my stay here was really. I would stay again.

• eh_lexjones266972
  • Canada, Female, 25-30
25th Oct 2018
3.1

When I walked up the narrow stairs the place was a mess! The smell was terrible!!!! Then trying to get into the room was impossible with the size of the place... also again the smell was horrific! The only good thing abot this place was the friendly staff at the front desk! Ive traveled many places and stayed in many hostels all over the world , this was the worst !

• shona_x1997
  • England, Female, 18-24
23rd Oct 2018

For what I paid I couldn't have asked for much better. The rooms are pretty basic but have everything you need. The location is perfect if you want to be in the city and there is always a fun atmosphere in the hostel. The staff were all lovely and always up for a good time and party! Will 100% be staying here again in the future.

• jpynn8676718
  • Canada, Female, 25-30
20th Oct 2018
6.9

I picked Westend Backpackers based on location and room type, I wanted a private room and bathroom. The room was shabby, the pillows were pancake thin. The bathroom was not an ensuite which was not communicated or obvious to us, it was on the other side of the hall. One elevator was broken so the single elevator was always congested. The staff didn't follow through with providing towels.

• USA, Male, 25-30
12th Sep 2018
2.6

***dont ever stay here*****. It is not safe at all*** I had my laptop, sunglasses and some of my clothes stolen from their 'safe' room. When I confronted the staff they admitted they have no cameras and the ones.they do have dont really work. They also acted like it happened all the time and when I asked that they call the police they wouldn't let me and instead made me walk to the station. I filed a report and the police called the hostel and confirmed that all cameras are.down. f**k this place

• Australia, Male, 25-30
10th Sep 2018

Central location with super friendly staff and an awesome party atmosphere. Building was a bit dated, but it looks like they are renovating, excited to see what it looks like on my next trip through Sydney. Bed was clean and had a bathroom in the dorm room. The real highlight for me was the entertainment/events. The nightly events in the kitchen provided an easy way to meet fellow travelers and the entertainment team take you to a different party every night. Would definitely recommend!

• graceharacz1066
  • England, Female, 18-24
4th Sep 2018
4.6

DON'T STAY HERE! We had a private room and it looked nothing like the pictures. The whole hostel is dirty (kitchen is very dirty), our room wasn't pleasant having found multiple cockroaches in both the room and bathroom. It's worth paying the tiny bit more to stay in another hostel or cheap hotel, as here you are paying to stay the night in squalor. I'm extremely disappointed such an establishment is advertised on Hostel world, a website which I trust. I wouldn't recommend this hostel to anyone!

×