40 Berkeley Hostel Reviews

40 Berkeley Street, MA, Boston, USA

I stayed for 4 nights in 40 Berkeley and really enjoyed my stay. The staff were all friendly and helpful and it was in a great location. I was travelling alone and had a single room which was very clean and warm. My only complaint was the room was a bit too ward but opening a window solved that. The showers and toilets were spotless and I never had to wait when I wanted to use the facilities. The breakfast was totally amazing and kept me full until dinner time.

• 5th Feb 2014

Pretty bare-bones hostel, but for $40 a night for a private room in Boston, you can't beat it. The inclusive breakfast is a nice touch as well!

Clean and safe with sooooo many facilities!!

• 22nd Jan 2014
  • China

Great extras, like free popcorn and coffee

First things first- I think this place is partially a hostel and partially a half way house. You can tell there are long term tentants, most of them elderly and looking like welfare recipients. Nothing wrong with that, just a heads up. The only good thing about this hotel is free breakfast ( mediocre, but not bad) and the location ( south end back bay close to the t, lots of things within walking distance) Paper thin walls, weird smells, gray florescent lights in the rooms, mold in the showers

• 8th Jan 2014

I was very happy with everything. Breakfast in the morning was awesome. However, only issue I have is for those who have cars. There is no parking anywhere. You need to look for side roads and hope there is an open spot or else you will need to pay for one of those 24 hour parking lots. All the streets in front of the hostel seems to be reserved for residents of other buildings at night.

it is like a hotel with big and comfortable common area.The hostel is very considerate. There are movie room,free coffee and tea provided. And i appreciate the very cute decorate things in the lobby. Overall,i feel comfortable living here.

The breakfast was amazing, much better than expected! However, the lock on our door was faulty and there was no PowerPoint in the room which was very inconvenient, despite there being a lamp and fan not plugged in. There were also not enough showers on our floor and bathrooms were being cleaned early in the morning (when people want to shower?). The room was also extremely hot and you couldn't adjust temperature. The location is good and the beds were clean and comfortable but we won't return.

Location is not very convenient. Breakfast was not good... :/ Sorry. Bathrooms are not clean. Staff was nice and tried to help - but they can't make up for everything. Too expensive, for what you get.

• 28th Dec 2013

I have been in many countries and cities and have to say that this hostel is one of the best where I was! very clean, quiet, nice double rooms, toilets very clean, the staff is very cool, had very safe place, 10 minutes walk to the center, breakfast is very good. I would recommend this hostel!

This hostel looks like an hotel! Breakfast is awesome! Me and my mother was ok about it!

I stayed there 1 night only. The staff was friendly. I arrived earlier than I had predicted and they were so nice to upgrade my room to a single suite with my own bathroom, which I appreciated. The room itself was ok. Cleanliness was ok as well. The mattress was comfortable. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to explore the neighborhood so I can't comment on that. But I would say that the location was pretty convenient (few bus stops around). I would seriously consider staying there again.

Lovely place to stay!!! Great location and friendly staff. Good price too. Boston is awesome!!

The old lady at the front desk was probably the nicest person I've ever met.

• 22nd Nov 2013
  • Austria

40 Berkley was an excellent hostel. They are in a great location that is convenient to all major tourist sites, the lobby is large and comfortable and the value is great. They give free cookies upon arrival and have free popcorn and coffee to snack on in the afternoon. There are places to lounge while you wait for your bus to leave. I thought it was a very nice hostel.

• 15th Nov 2013

I think that for this price, you can really find better. The room was not really clean, it was really hot inside and it was not possible to turn off the heating, the staff was not really friendly

• 13th Nov 2013
  • Belgium

The hostel is well-situated right in the centre of Boston, near a metro station. We especially liked the rooms, and the good facilities that include also complementary coffee, but two things were a bit disappointing. The staff were not attentive (and even rude) at check-in, and the directions to the hostel from South Station (where busses arrive) was a long way without the directions telling us to get the Metro straight away or to prepare for a 45 minute walk with our luggage. Otherwise good.

Very nice atmosphere, helpful staff and lot of additional facilities (free coffee, breakfast, wi-fi, TV, billiard tables). Rooms and bathrooms were clean, but could have been more spacious.

A second towel for my hair would have been useful, more showers per floor.Breakfast portions varied greatly depending upon who was on that day, would come back.

• 4th Nov 2013

Nice location! We arrived at about 5am at the hostel and we had the possibility to have our room right away (although the check-in is from 3pm!). The breakfast is "diverse" which is a real plus! Our room was yet not perfectly clean but that's definitely fine for a hostel.