40 Berkeley Hostel Reviews

40 Berkeley Street, MA, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

I only stayed here for one night, but I would definitely consider coming back. I'm glad there was space to be social, relaxed (theater room is pretty sweet for a lazy chilly morning), or studious. Breakfast was superb, and definitely makes up for any qualms regarding price for the room

Surprising. I liked the staff, they were wonderful. The place wasn't gross or anything, very bare bones, but clean. BREAKFAST WAS GREAT!

• 5th Mar 2013

perfect for me...took a train in and out for a concert...great value convenient location!

• 4th Mar 2013

Overall very good place to stay, short or longer term it looked like. Less of a hotel, more of a studen halls feel to it. Breakfast was great, as were Oscar night activities; near Back Bay & Prudential Tower; very good.

Extremely nice place! Very high standard and reasonable price. Highly recommended!

An excellent hostel. Very friendly staff, who let us check in at 5am when we arrived. There's great facilities here, and the breakfast is very good too!

I had a great stay at 40 Berkeley Hostel. The facilities were very clean. The rooms were quite and warm. They provided free wifi and free breakfast. I would definitely come back here again.

• 20th Feb 2013

Everything was excellent. A very good experience at a great price.

Super nice hostel with effective and friendly staff. The location is convenient with many facilities you can use for free. It definitely worths at such a low price!

awesome place would love to come back and stay in 40 berkeley

• 14th Feb 2013
  • India

I was so impressed by this hostel! I was really keen to have my own room and so the breakfast, location & price were a bonus but they were ALL excellent! The staff were amazing. I got in really late and the lady an the front desk was absolutely lovely and so helpful. When she saw me the next morning at breakfast, she remembered my name. I was just so impressed by the whole place. I got in so late, I didn't really get to take advantage of the cinema room, coffee, popcorn. Looked amazing though

it is a good place to live for visting to Boston.i like it.

• 7th Feb 2013
  • China

My impression of the hostel were very positive. The staff was very helpful and provided excellent information. Breakfast was also good, most of all that it was partly freshly cooked and a lot of things to chose from. I really liked the movie room and the rocking chairs. The rooms could have been a bit warmer.

This hostel is, as many of the other comments suggest, more of a half-way house/aged care home than a hostel. American hostels just don't work on the same level as European/Asian/Australian hostels. They aren't a good place to come and meet people, and they aren't a nice place to stay. There isn't much choice which complicates the issues. If you were staying in a group, this may be okay for a few nights. If you can afford it, try out airbnb

• 31st Jan 2013

It seemed there were some homeless folks staying here which was odd. I suggest a private room if you book here.

Great experience except for that the deposit we paid on hostelworld did not come off the cost of the room. This did not make sense to me...

• 25th Jan 2013

Very good

• 19th Jan 2013
  • South Korea

Well located, great common room with free wi-fi access and rocking chairs! The poor decoration of the room is balanced by an excellent reception from the staff (they even offered us a free breakfast!). Alice, Alix, Alex and Margot

• 19th Jan 2013

Atmosphere seems gloomy, as if a converted dormitory. Although the rooms appear clean, amenities were quite bare, and furniture is beginning to show age. The pictures don't really reflect the condition of the building. Security may be a concern when one sees a note next to the elevator posted by a customer lamenting that their jackets were removed from the bathroom on their last day in the US.

• 18th Jan 2013

The staff is really helpful here, they give you all the information you need and they even keep all your stuff the day you check out so you don't have ton carry it all day. The room was big and comfortable and we had a private bathroom. The only thing missing is the ambiance of a youth hostel.

• 17th Jan 2013