A&O Berlin Friedrichshain Reviews

Niederlassung - Berlin Friedrichshain, Box hagener Str.73 - 10245 Berlin, Berlin, Germany

Nice beds, showers a bit too communal, lots of school groups, good location for F'Shain bars and cafés

Worst hostel in Europe. Mainly for traveling groups (Contiki, Top Deck, Schools). Far walk from everything, and though it is close to train station, trains stop running at 2. Wifi was terrible and only in lobby, linens were extra. Did not get the room we paid for, with no explanation. 'Stayed there' 2 nights. 'Stayed there' is in quotes because I never slept there, basically used the place as a locker.

I really enjoyed this hostel it had a great atnosphere and the Bar area was really good. A short walk away from an S-bahn track and surrounded by good places to eat. Great for those on a budget!

The hostel is located approximately 20 minutes walk from the nearest u-bahn station, which is quite far and important to live nearby, when you're in a big city like Berlin, and the nearby station, Ostkreuz, is only for S-train. Staff was rude. Once, I sat in the reception and was using the wifi, and suddenly, a male receptionist came down to me, grabbed my arm, and said 'If you EVER whistle at me again, I'm gonna kick you the fuck out of here' (I havn't whistled, so wtf??). Don't stay here!

Stayed a few times and going back soon. It is a good hostel. No frills but clean (can rent good bedding) and everything you need - clean showers, baggage room, lockers, helpful staff.

• 28th Jun 2014

This 'hostel' is laughable. I was one of 3 people who had 100 euros stolen from my jeans whilst sleeping. Staff just said 'you'll get over it'. They couldn't (be bothered to) trace the thief because even though they ask guests to write down passport numbers they don't check them! Robbed or stabbed in your room? Your problem! Extras costs for EVERYTHING, no place to meet folks, school groups dominate, shifty characters sniffing cocaine all night in the rooms. Someone close this place down.

• 20th Jun 2014
  • Denmark

Its not exactly how it s advertised. It's a youth hostel. There are children (aged 15-17) running around screaming. It's about 30 minutes from anything. WiFi is absolutely the worst. Even the wifi you PAY for, we had to ask for our money back. We paid for a 6 girls ensuit but got mixed. The shower we couldn't use because it smelled like something had died in it. I would not recommend this place unless you had no other option.

Nice neighbourhood with reasonably priced food and not too far away from the train station. However, Uncomfortable noisy beds, no wall sockets in the room, and common toilets not clean. There were lots of students there and they kind of took over the whole building. Wifi only in the lobby and bar, where drinks and snacks are ridiculously priced. Got to pay for linen so they should just make the nightly cost higher. Unrelated: The building itself resembles an old mental hospital.

Huge hostel, when I stayed there seemed to be a bunch of school groups staying. Consistently woken up by noise in the corridors, the 'free wi-fi' did not work in the rooms and barely worked in the common area, rooms were not very big, bathroom facilities were horrible, and the beds weren't cheaper than other hostels. Somewhat difficult to meet people outside of the dorm room, changed hostels after my first two nights for my final night in Berlin.

Staff are helpful and friendly and the neighborhood couldn't be better! Located off the tourist path a little, in a more hip neighborhood of Berlin. However, the hallways can get rather loud in the mornings, so bring your earplugs if you are a light sleeper. Also, sheets are not included in the price, they are an extra 3 euro.

• 2nd May 2014

They late the toilette dirty for 3 days! I change the room at 5.20 a.m., because some girls didn't want a boy in a MIXED ROOM. Someone takes my recharge's Iphone, but the personal the day after give me other new...

• 19th Apr 2014

The hostel is quite far from city centre. By bike it was a fast 20 minutes ride to Alexanderplatz. The hostel staff is not that friendly. There is no hostel atmosphere at all. No indivdual travellers just groups of pupils check in there. Furthermore, there had been problems as members of the hostel staff have removed some of my own things out of my room. The problem has been solved but no word of apologize. I would strongly recommend not to stay there.

Good location near Ostkreuz SB station with a lot of cheap bars and eat places in the neibourghood. Buffet Breakfast is good but expensive 6 euros. You can find much cheaper in the nearby bakeries. Wifi is free of charge in the lobby but costs in the rooms, not cheap either. Although on the bad side : curtain in my room did not protect from the outside light. Moreover, it was not hanging properly and did not close totally. It was a problem because the room was on the groundfloor.

Good for the price , cheap and clean with helpful staff. Is very big so not very social and we had a big group of teenagers staying on a school trip which was annoying but can't be helped !

We had booked a 4-bed room it was way too small for 4 people. The matrasses were very dirty and no blanket was given us, despite we had paid for it. The staff blamed it on the laundry company.