Airlie Waterfront Backpackers Reviews

The Esplanade, Airlie Beach, Australia

Hostel manager was really helpful and booked us on trips with a discount

Great location, right on the ocean front. Good mattresses and beds, yet too many people in one room that prevent you from sleeping well. I felt itchy and when I shined some light on my legs in the bed there were ants in the bed, with little wings on them, biting me. There were so many that it freaked me out and couldn't sleep anymore. Was itchy for the next couple of days. Changed beds but they are attracted to light from your phone of laptop so that didn't help. Nice and friendly staff!

Great location right at the waterfront. Room was full of long term stayers so their stuff was everywhere. Two toilets near my room were broken but there were additional facilities off the kitchen. The garbage in my room never got changed during the stay and was already overflowing when I arrived. I was advised there was a shuttle bus to the hostel and would have welcomed it after an 18 hr overnight bus but the shuttle never showed up.

Kind of difficult to meet people. Also the internet didn't work like, 2 out of the 3 days that I was there. If you want a bed in a good location, it's totally fine though.

Free shuttlebus from and to Greyhound bus terminal, free wifi and a quiet hostel just outside the noisy city centre! Perfect!!! Maybe not as clean as could be, but for 20 dollar a good stay~!!!!

Upon our arrival the staff at reception seemed very annoyed by their job. We chalked it to being the end of a long day. To our surprise when we checked out a few mornings later by the same staff, they were just as rude and dry with us. In 3 nights we were switched rooms 3 times to accommodate group of people coming in which was really annoying when we had to check out every morning by 10 to be assigned our new room number, new sheets etc. this is the first time I write a negative review...

Location was good & the balconies overlooking the water, but the room was very dark with not much ventilation. Kitchen is pretty disgusting I wouldnt be surprised if their were cockroaches, there were just 2 tables which had probably never been cleaned (sticky). I think it would be fine for a short stay if you're not planning on cooking or meeting other travellers as theres not really a common area.

The hostel is well located in Airlie Beach, close to town centre. It's about a 10-15 minutes walk to Abel Point Marina (where all the Whitsundays boats depart). Staff is nice and helpful (they also stored my luggage during my Whitsundays trip). 10 bed dorms are quite big so the number of beds isn't really an issue. Bathrooms are quite small though, can be uncomfortable at times. All in all, a good value for money and good place to stay short-term.

Great location. Our room was a basic 10 share room with bunks which was clean and spacious. Ensuite bathrooms. Bring an extension lead as not enough power points for everyone. Free undercover parking was a bonus.

• 5th Jun 2014

Hostel was great, however the staff were very rude. I always went to other places to book trips and activities because I always got rude and sarcastic comments from the staff. The young blonde employee at the front was very unprofessional and unhelpful. When asking questions to her, she replied as if I was stupid for asking the question. She is the worst customer service employee I have ever talked to. Unfortunately because of that I won't be coming back.

• 31st May 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

I loved my stay at Airlie Waterfront. The location was great, walking distance to everything. The staff was nice and very helpful. I would recommend this to anyone going to airlie beach.

• 25th May 2014

I always stay at Airlie Waterfront backpackers. They are the best of the backpackers in Airlie Beach, and I've stayed at them all. After my most recent stay, I will definitely be back here again next visit.

Ok hostel, not the best, not the worst. Bed were ok, showers and toilet could use a spring cleaning, but werent that dirty. Not really a hostel were you can interact with others except for the kitchen. Very easy to come in the rooms through the kitchen and no lockers to keep your stuff safe. Quite cheap. Did not regret the booking.

The best place to stay in Airlie Beach with the rare treat of WiFi that actually works.

A nice and very clean hostel to a cheap prize!

Big hostel with no common spaces except for the kitchen and the wifi area. If you are a solo traveller and want to socialize, this is not the best place. Bunk beds are strong which is good so you don't feel every movement.

I got a 4 bed dorm instead of an 17 bed dorm! An amazing view on the lagoon and clean room! It is central and has some nice balkonies. BYO alcohol is permitted! Very happy with the price!

Rooms were very clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. Although I missed the typical hostel atmosphere a bit, I'd recommend this place if your looking for a clean and cheap place to stay right at the beach and close to the lagoon.

View all Airlie Beach Hostels