Airlie Waterfront Backpackers Reviews

The Esplanade, Airlie Beach, Australia

Could do with some appliance updates in the kitchen. I also feel that the kitchen needs to be deep cleaned in general. Otherwise excellent stay in every way.

It was completely fine, only hostel so far to have a deposit for using cutlery. But there was always cutlery available in the kitchen anyway so... In general its not worth spending more than a night in Airlie anyway.

Lady on reception was so lovely, really helped me out and let me use the shower and kitchen after a tour even though i was getting a bus that night and not staying again. Always said hello and the people the stayed there too seemed friendly and always asked if you wanted to go out. Very quiet hostel but good vibes!

We had a private room, it was a basic room but had what we needed, apart from a kettle but we are fussy ! The building the room was in was a bit odd. It was in like a food arcade. But wasn't noisy ,you could hear noise but wasn't over powering . I only popped into the kitchen so can't comment on that . My mattress was very soft though .Location was great , about 10 min walk to greyhound .

• 7th Aug 2015

Doesn't feel like a hostel. Does get noisy late with party crowd coming back, then again with kitchen staff in the morning, but its the price you pay.

• 20th Jul 2015

Security seemed good, they took our photos when checking in. Apparently every kitchen utilities were to be rented from reception so we didn't use kitchen, but it was well equipped with real stoves instead of gas hops you see everywhere. Big like for this! In the morning you were offered a lift to bus station though it's only 10 minute walk away. This was much appreciated too. All in all, I had a nice experience. If back to Airlie, will likely stay here again.

• 17th Jul 2015
  • Finland

The location is ideal and the staff did the most of it! Nice views, very good atmosphere. it is definitely a high standard backpacker for a cheap price! Won't have to look for a backpacker next time I come, i already know! ;)

Good hostel over all. The only thing is if you stay in loft 4 it can be noisy at night because it is right beside the kitchen, loud talking and blasting television all night. They charge 10$ for luggage storage which is kind of a bummer considering most hostels do it free of charge.

• 21st Jun 2015

The atmosphere was a bit dead with little security. (Lockers were outside of the room, no security cameras etc etc) Staff could not be faulted but the vibe could!

This is for the more mature backpacker, or those that want a quieter setting. It's ideally located near the lagoon and in front of a nice beach. The bar downstairs made AMAZING drinks thanks to the French bartender who was there. Fish n chips two doors down worth visiting; very fresh. Some noise from cleaning in the morning, so I suggest ear plugs are getting an early start via day trips.

It's clean and friendly! Air condition in the rooms. 5 min walk to the lagoon. Free shittleservice to the bus station!!

So our first night we were in a loft dorm. Clean and quiet. Bathrooms were run down and need some TLC. Unfortunately I got $70 stolen from my bag whilst I was in the shower. They have no CCTV outside the dorms and no lockers in the dorms. It technically isn't the hostels fault but it did dampen things. Our second night, they compensated us with a private room which was very pleasant. I certainly appreciated this kind gesture.

The location of this hostel is great, right next to the beach and shops and bars are just a few minutes walk away. The rooms were clean, the showers a good size and the free wifi is good. There was no shuttle to the bus terminal because the driver was off sick and there was no relief driver, not the end of the would as it's a 15 minute walk. My bed was so uncomfortable, it was genuinely as hard as a rock!!

really nice hostel stayed in a 13 bed dorm and beds were all single beds not bunk beds. really comfortable. the staff were really nice and when booking a trip to Whitehaven you got a free extra night stay

Great experience. We also had the opportunity to have a shower before taking the bus after having done the check out.

• 30th Apr 2015
  • Spain

The kitchen was horrible. You dont have any plates or cutlery and they charge you 20 dolars for them. The room was Ok and no much to said for this hostel The staff needs to go to a course of customer service.

the owmers are realy nice people, the room is spacious and clean. internet didnt work for me, but for others it did.

There should be a shuttle at the greyhound station; I know its not far to drive but walking that little distant with multiple heavy bags is no fun. The staff weren't very friendly and always looked grumpy. The cleaning lady was very nice though. They couldnt find my booking for 8 person dorm, but was upgraded to a 4 person dorm for same price; just never got to meet other backpackers then since there was only one man in the room my whole stay. They also misplaced my key deposit. Its an ok hostel

I was pleasantly surprised. It was much nicer than previous reviews made it seem. Staff were welcoming and friendly. My only complaints are that there aren't lockers in the rooms, and people dont seem to hang out much. I wish the common area had more of a focus on socializing with fellow travelers.

Amazing air conditioned rooms that overlook the beach. Friendly and helpful staff. All around great value for money!

View all Airlie Beach Hostels