Alajuela Backpackers Reviews

Alajuela right side of National Monument Juan Sant, 4th Ave , 4th ST,infront of parque de los ninos, Alajuela, Costa Rica

I arrived at 2am after arriving to Costa Rica. Everyone was sleeping. The people were great. The floor was flooded, but I think it was from the drunk people that had a party before I got there. I left early in the morning. No complaints and super easy to get to from the airport!

Great hostel, super nice staff, restaurant on top floor and free airport shuttle...very much enjoyed my stay!

friendly, helpful, accommodating staff.

• 18th Nov 2014

Alajuela Backpackers is the cleanest hostel I've stayed at. I would consider this hostel more of hostel hotel type of establishment. The rooms are clean, friendly staff, ideal area right next to the airport. They provide a shuttle to the airport for free which the main reason I chose to stay there for my last night in Costa Rica. Had a good night that night, it was pretty relaxed and met a cool group of guys.

• 12th Nov 2014

I only spent one night here, but it is very close to the airport and the shuttle service makes it all worth while.

One of the staff didn't speak very clear english therefore directions were misunderstood causing a lot of trouble to get to where I was trying to go. Free airport shuttle is handy, but there really isn't much to see or do in Alajuela. Facilities were very nice and clean. Book this place online because they charge more if you just arrive without a reservation. The place was absolutely empty when I was there so there really wasn't an atmosphere.

It seems like this backpackers used to be a hotel.To save money, instead of renovating it, they changed it to a hostel. No kitchen area and bathrooms were moldy. Only stayed here a night, which for what I paid is bearable. Location is excellent though. Staff were good; very friendly and helpful. Be mindful that the airport pickup is available for $17 and up rooms. They asked us to take a cab from the airport and they paid for it (we booked the $17 bed). Overall, a 1night stay is okay here.

the staff made the stay...from Andrey the perfect host, Emerson the happy and hard working cleaner to Emerson who went beyond his job to help, amazing staff, I wish they all worked for me. Many thanks for making our holiday visit special. cheers James Robson.

• 10th Oct 2014

Great place to stay if you need to stay close to the airport. The staff is friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Clean place with good atmosphere.. Rooftop Restaurant and bar are nice.

Overall experience here was great, started and ended my vacation at this location. View overlooking the city was nice and getting shuttle service to and from the airport at no extra charge was a bonus. I'd recommend this place as a starting point for anyone's vacation.

My room was loaded with bugs

• 27th Aug 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Good hostel, spacious dorm with A/C, clean bathroom with hot water, good wifi and free coffee. But true, looks and feels more like a hotel. There is a small restaurant with terasse...nice but unreliable morning opening time.

For a family of four people this place is an absolute rip off. $92 for a dorm without A/C and with no towels (ok we got some 20 minutes after we asked, while we were trying to sleep). That's the same price we're paying at Holiday inn ( tax, but with pool, A/C, and 4x Breakfast included). Toilets and shower were not clean. We did not enjoy the stay.

• 8th Aug 2014

This is more like a hotel, and a big one. There is no kitchen for guests to use and the communal areas are dark and small, so you're unlikely to meet anyone here unless you hang out at the bar. Saying that, the view from the bar is exceptional and the airport transfer is great too.

TWO WORDS: BED BUGS!!! SO disgusting. First of all, I know it's a hostel so I'm okay with seeing a few bugs in the room/bathroom, but one was crawling away from the toilet seat as I was about to sit down. Then I wake up to find 20+ bed bug bites around my body after one night. Pro: The bar on the 4th floor was nice with cheap drinks (probably should have slept there for the night.....) All in all, never again.

It's a fine hostel, located only 5 mins away from the airport! (Note that shuttle is not for the dorms). Staff is nice and very helpfull!!! Amazing rooftop with great view! Dorms are clean and bathrooms aswell. I would recommand the hostel. I stayed there only for one night, which was a great decision.

I've booked a night in july, but it had to be august. I still don't know what went wrong on the bookingform. After the form I sent an e-mail with the wright date, but the hostel hadn't seen that. Compliments that when we arrived they fixed it very good. Thanks for that!

• 16th Jul 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

The only problem I had was that the website wasn't clear about needing to reserve the shuttle from the airport in advance, so I and 2 other visitors had to pay for a taxi to get to the hostel.

• 11th Jul 2014

Huge showers, good hot water, and they provided us each a fluffy bath towel which was a nice surprise. Not much in the way of common areas-- no kitchen and a sad little common room with tv and a tiny couch, not very inviting. They do have computers in the lobby, though you have to stand. One of the best features is the upstairs bar/restaurant, which has delicious, reasonably priced food. Also very kind about storing our extra bags in a secure room, even for a couple days while we traveled.

Perfect hostel to stay at if you're coming in from the airport or need to leave the next day for a flight. It has four floors with a rooftop bar which is a great place to hang out and meet other travelers. The rooms are well kept and have air conditioning but you are not able to open the windows, which would be nice when the room feels too stuffy or it needs to be aired out. There were some bugs crawling around the room and the bathroom. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly.