Alajuela Backpackers Reviews

Alajuela right side of National Monument Juan Sant, 4th Ave , 4th ST,infront of parque de los ninos, Alajuela, Costa Rica

Good hostel, spacious dorm with A/C, clean bathroom with hot water, good wifi and free coffee. But true, looks and feels more like a hotel. There is a small restaurant with terasse...nice but unreliable morning opening time.

For a family of four people this place is an absolute rip off. $92 for a dorm without A/C and with no towels (ok we got some 20 minutes after we asked, while we were trying to sleep). That's the same price we're paying at Holiday inn ( tax, but with pool, A/C, and 4x Breakfast included). Toilets and shower were not clean. We did not enjoy the stay.

• 8th Aug 2014

This is more like a hotel, and a big one. There is no kitchen for guests to use and the communal areas are dark and small, so you're unlikely to meet anyone here unless you hang out at the bar. Saying that, the view from the bar is exceptional and the airport transfer is great too.

TWO WORDS: BED BUGS!!! SO disgusting. First of all, I know it's a hostel so I'm okay with seeing a few bugs in the room/bathroom, but one was crawling away from the toilet seat as I was about to sit down. Then I wake up to find 20+ bed bug bites around my body after one night. Pro: The bar on the 4th floor was nice with cheap drinks (probably should have slept there for the night.....) All in all, never again.

It's a fine hostel, located only 5 mins away from the airport! (Note that shuttle is not for the dorms). Staff is nice and very helpfull!!! Amazing rooftop with great view! Dorms are clean and bathrooms aswell. I would recommand the hostel. I stayed there only for one night, which was a great decision.

I've booked a night in july, but it had to be august. I still don't know what went wrong on the bookingform. After the form I sent an e-mail with the wright date, but the hostel hadn't seen that. Compliments that when we arrived they fixed it very good. Thanks for that!

• 16th Jul 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

The only problem I had was that the website wasn't clear about needing to reserve the shuttle from the airport in advance, so I and 2 other visitors had to pay for a taxi to get to the hostel.

• 11th Jul 2014

Huge showers, good hot water, and they provided us each a fluffy bath towel which was a nice surprise. Not much in the way of common areas-- no kitchen and a sad little common room with tv and a tiny couch, not very inviting. They do have computers in the lobby, though you have to stand. One of the best features is the upstairs bar/restaurant, which has delicious, reasonably priced food. Also very kind about storing our extra bags in a secure room, even for a couple days while we traveled.

Perfect hostel to stay at if you're coming in from the airport or need to leave the next day for a flight. It has four floors with a rooftop bar which is a great place to hang out and meet other travelers. The rooms are well kept and have air conditioning but you are not able to open the windows, which would be nice when the room feels too stuffy or it needs to be aired out. There were some bugs crawling around the room and the bathroom. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly.

I enjoyed staying at Alajuela Backpackers mainly for the security. I was a little nervous when I first booked the hostel and reported my travel with them. However, upon pickup by Mauricio and Yazmin, I felt better. I also really like the idea of the color coded bracelets that are given to the guests. It made me feel safe. I stayed here for 2 different nights. My first night I was a bit disappointed that my request for a female only dorm was ignored. The 2nd night there were bugs in the bathroom.

• 28th Jun 2014

They didn't have a kitchen, so was forced to spend a little more money and eat out every meal, but other than that was a great place to stay. Staff was friendly but not very helpful when it came to bus schedules for different activities. Place was clean and easy to find. I'd probably stay again.

• 26th Jun 2014

I had an amazing last night there. Connecting with amazing like minded people. Amazing service!

• 8th Jun 2014
  • Belgium

Really could use a better bus route. It was really expensive to get there. There were no towels. The internet did not work. The bunks were tiny and cramped. There were roaches.

• 5th Jun 2014

It was nice hat the hostel was located to the airport. However, the free shuttle only runs at certain times so since we had an early flight we had to take a taxi to the airport. The staff was very accommodating though, and called the taxi for us. Our room also didn't have an air conditioning unit as it was supposed to, but the staff at the front desk again were very accommodating and gave us a fan to use. The bathrooms weren't very clean, which was disappointing.

The hostel was nice and quiet except for the street noise which cannot be helped. It was very clean but for a private room and the price of the private room, it didn't have any ammenities. One towel and a small bar of soap was all that was included. It was a great stop-off before catching my flight the next morning due to the free shuttle to the airport.

• 29th May 2014

Nice hostel close to the airport. Free shuttle to the airport is really great. Good food and drink in the rooftop bar. Air-conditioning in the room wasn't great. We just stayed one night as we had an early flight, hostel was perfect for this but probably wouldn't stay longer.

nice friendly staff.

Really good to stay for a night. The only problem I found with the dorms was that people came and left so often in the middle of the night, so it's hard to sleep if you're a light sleeper!

To stay at alajuelabackpackers was a very good decision. We arrived in the evening and took the chance to use the shuttle service from the airport to the hostel which made the arrival much easier. From the very first moment the staff was totally friendly and helpful and was always trying to answer our questions. The hostel itself was clean and the restaurant offers good food. Conclusion - I would come back.

• 12th May 2014

Rocky bed, no electric to charge any of our equipment, super noisy room on the third floor, we told the front desk we would find our own way to the airport but still someone woke us at 4am asking us if we needed a lift to the airport which was slightly annoying. I don't think I'll ever go back. To be fair it's fine if you are a traveling student, I wouldn't recommend it to any couples who like to sleep.

• 10th May 2014