Alajuela Backpackers Reviews

Alajuela right side of National Monument Juan Sant, 4th Ave , 4th ST,infront of parque de los ninos, Alajuela, Costa Rica

This hostel is just ok if you want to stay one night close to the airport, not more than that. The facilities are very worn out, cleanliness was not at its best, staff was friendly but rather bored. The communal areas are not inviting. You can fit your travel documents and a small/medium sized camera into the small lockers in the hallway, but that's it. If you want to take a shuttle (only 4 per day) be there early, mine left without me. The airport bus station is basically next door, though.

It is the perfect hostel next to an airport. It has a great location. It was easy to find and I could take a bus to San Jose and back. They also provided free shuttles to the airport. Just perfect.

I had wanted to take advantage of the free airport shuttle from the airport to the hostel which is why I booked this place. However even though I sent them my flight info before the required time I never received an email or any type of communication from this hostel. I ended up having to use a taxi to get to the hostel which negated the whole reason I was choosing to stay at this hostel. Have some small lockers at the front desk but none in the room.

The hostel is perfect for a cheap stay near airport. It was way better than I thought.

The expectations for this hostel were much higher than reality. The hostel was dirty, the bathrooms often out of toilet paper and floors dirty. The place was fairly dark with a lack of atmosphere. The internet often didn't work and the main hang out space was only open at night. The other was in the lobby and not terribly welcoming. The location on the other hand was very close to parks, banks and bus terminals which I found extremely helpful.

• 20th Jan 2016

The location was perfect for my needs: close to the airport and a bus station. The man at the reception desk was very helpful and patient explaining directions to me, even late at night. Downsides: smelly bathrooms, and wifi didn't seem to work for me other than in the TV area

• 20th Jan 2016

Honestly very dirty common areas and the private room was not much better AC worked though!). I could see water marks on the shower wall which means they were not cleaned before I arrived. I also did not have toilet paper made me wonder when the last time someone was in there was. There are 3 computers in the lobby but only 1 has a keyboard and the wifi it connects to cuts out. The welcome drink and lobby bar don't exist. Upstairs lounge makes it fun after 5pm, super friendly bartender and chef.

Its very handy because of its proximity to the airport but nothing incredibly special. Clean and convenient.

Great hostel and location if you're looking for somewhere close to the airport. They offer a courtesy free shuttle service to the airport! The facilities are also pretty solid-central air conditioning, clean rooms and fairly clean bathrooms, and a small restaurant/bar upstairs so everything is very convenient. I only stayed one night before leaving for the airport the next morning. From the looks of it, it doesn't strike me as a very social hostel-the bar upstairs was very small. Good stay tho!

Towels are in very bad and old conditions, bed sheets look dirty, and ac unable to control. Location is good given the distance to the airport, but the neighborhood is quite dodgy. Overpriced.

• 6th Jan 2016
  • Portugal

There was coffee available in the morning, but the restaurant was not open so there was no breakfast. I would stay here again. The 4th floor bar with balcony has great views and made to order pizza.

The dirtiest place ever!...gross... Prices are really low, even so I rate value for money as very poor.

The guy at the reception desk was fantastic very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and nice for very cheap. Great location in heart of city and close to airport!

This place is fine for a one-night stay for the purpose of being really close to the SJO airport. For the most part the place was fine. It just wasn't inviting or welcoming.

• 23rd Dec 2015

For us as hostel staff is very important to maintain a welcoming atmosphere and that´s something that we work for daily. Reaching customers satisfaction is our main goal...

Just a transit backpacker. It is not extraordinary but it is clean and calm, close to the airport and the bus station to go to Poas volcano. Staff and atmosphere are not really nice. Don't stay in this place for a long period.

• 20th Dec 2015

Very good! perfect for the first or last night of your stay since is super close to the airport and they provide transportation.

• 14th Dec 2015

Great for late arrivals and early departures. Dorm rooms are small and no A/C when I was there. Cheap drinks and dinner in the rooftop restaurant. Buses next door will take you to SJ for a $1 and three block away you can catch a bus to Poas for a $1, too!

Hostel is good for one night, if you're leaving the next day by plane or arriving. Rooms and mattresses are good, but bathroom was not so clean and no soap for washing hands. The lobby is very dark and not comfortable for sitting.

We stayed at Backpacker's Hostel last year and found it perfect. This time we had a room with no tv, only a fitted sheet on the bed(no otop sheet). The bed was very comfortable however and the room was clean.

• 6th Dec 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Came in at night and left early in the morning so I didn't see much of the hostel but what I saw was nice. The rooftop bar/restaurant view is awesome and it's a great place to hang out. Bathrooms were nice, wifi worked well. Free airport shuttle was really awesome. Wish I had noticed that they'll pick you up too! Only complaint was that I didn't see any lockers in the room. Otherwise awesome!