Alajuela Backpackers Reviews

Alajuela right side of National Monument Juan Sant, 4th Ave , 4th ST,infront of parque de los ninos, Alajuela, Costa Rica

Stayed here on both our first night and last night in CR. We met some really fun people at the rooftop bar the first night but on our last night it was much more mellow. The atmosphere can range from really fun to pretty quiet but it's close to the airport, bus stops and the central market plus it comes with a free welcome drink at check in

The hostel is right in the middle of Alajuela and very close to the main street with a lot of shops and restaraunts. The shuttle from the hostel to the airport is free. I stayed in one of the single rooms and it was huge with a nice bed and ensuite bathroom, however the shower only had COLD water which was disappointing. The rooftop bar is small but has a really cool view of the Central Valley. The atmosphere is pretty non-existent, but it is perfect for staying close to the airport.

Great place for airport drop off / pick up

Perfectly located in the center of town. Quiet. Nice restaurant. Traveling w kids and was great. We would go there again.

• 15th Jul 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

This hostel was great. Nice location to airport

Ideal hostel for first or last nights in Costa Rica. Clean, nice view from bar and shuttle is very handy.

I was disappointed that the supposed airport shuttle was actually a man looking for a taxi for me. I received a mail saying I would find the shuttle at a precise location, but it was not there and instead of that the man was waiting for me in front of the exit, and I did not see him at first. It was at night, I was alone and I did not feel very safe at that moment. My stay at the hostel was good after that and I would recommend it to other people.

• 19th Jun 2015

Great pit stop before flying out of SJO. Roof top bar/restaurant was a great place to hang out, the breakfast was really good. Shared bathrooms weren't very clean, but otherwise a good place to stay for a night.

Great hostel for spending a night near the airport, it's only three minutes away and the free shuttle service is very nice. The bar has a beautiful view of the city. Can be loud if your room faces the street. Very clean. No good spaces to really hang out though. It is a convenient hostel.

A kitchen would be awesome!

• 20th May 2015

Great restaurant/bar, pretty cool building. Friendly receptionist, but made us wait an hour for our room because check in time is not until 2pm. Seemed unnecessary to make us wait, as the room was obviously available. Perfect location near the airport. The early morning airport shuttle was very helpful. Room was average, a bit dirty... one thin blanket on bed, lots of hair clogging shower drain. But the hot water worked. Overall, good enough for a night coming into or leaving Costa Rica.

A simple hostel mostly of travelers spending a night for transit to and from the airport and other cities. Very friendly and helpful staff!

This hostel was huge! They had a rooftop bar and even served food. It was a great place to mingle and meet people while having some drinks. The rooms were decent sized as well, but the bathrooms could have been cleaned more often. I would stay here again, shuttle to the airport is about $5.

Ticos are amazing and super friendly people so that is already a big bonus. If you need somewhere near the airport, this is the place to stay. PURA VIDA

• 16th Apr 2015
  • Venezuela

We only stayed for one night but the hostel was amazing. It was super close to the airport. They have a free convenient shuttle service to the airport. The room was clean and had a semi hotel feel to the location. The rooftop bar was amazing. Beautiful view of the city. Overall we were pleased!

Fantastic place and staff. Clean, bright, and welcoming atmosphere. Close toady attractions, transportation and airport. My ONLY feedback would be NO promotion in lobby of RESTAURANT on FOURTH FLOOR. I happened to overhear someone mention it, otherwise would have missed it altogether. Cool view and atmosphere for evening. Enjoy! Well worth the $.

Nice place to stay one night if you leave the next day from the airport San Jose. It's more a mix between hotel and hostel. Everyone was very friendly. The music in the rooftop bar was unfortunately horrible and too loud that you couldn't understand a word. The rooms were clean and the bathroom was fantastic.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. I am not of the young hipster crowd, but, despite the somewhat noisy atmosphere at times, it wasn't too disruptive, and I enjoyed my stay. Super nice and close to the airport, and it was good to walk around a bit in Alajuela. The nearby market and central park were fun to visit and hang out at a bit.

• 30th Mar 2015

Nice private room. The hostel was quite and I liked how there was AC in the room. The only thing was that our bed sheets were dirty. They had small blood stains on them. Eww. Also the outside of the hostel looks kind of sketchy but the inside is actually nice. I did like the free airport ride service though.

This is a good location for people coming and going from the airport. One thing that is not ideal is that the airport shuttle only leaves four times per day, so if your flight doesn't match with their schedule, you will have to take a taxi. The rooms are okay, but nothing special. There was NO breakfast, contrary to what their website says. There were cockroaches in the bathroom, and not a single towel or bath mat. It is definitely bare bones, but you get what you pay for.