Alajuela Backpackers Reviews

Alajuela right side of National Monument Juan Sant, 4th Ave , 4th ST,infront of parque de los ninos, Alajuela, Costa Rica

Professional, friendly staff. Location worked perfectly for me. I'm staying there again next week and again in May.

• 7th Apr 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful. It was great to see the hostel is having some work done. We could walk all over town. Rooftop bar was nice. The free airport shuttle was on time and quick.

I didn't find the staff very smiley or helpful.t And i don't understand why they put music on so loud in the common areas, you can hardly make a phone call with all the noise. (couldn't call in my room because there was no wifi there)

• 23rd Mar 2014

There was no water during the day. We arrived on Saturday at 2.00 pm and couldn't use the shower or loo in our room until 7.00 pm. We had paid for a double room with a private bathroom, but were told we would have to use the bathrooms on the second floor (we were on the 4th floor). Then on the Sunday there was water first thing in the morning, but again nothing until the evening. Then the water went off again early on Monday morning. The bins in the bathroom weren't emptied at all.

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • All Female Group, 41+

We stayed in a private room. It had air conditioning, a reasonably comfy bed

The windows were very dirty. The door was hard to open because everytime it scratched extremely the floor. The website of the hostel does offer things that do not exist there (e.g. free welcome drink). Furthermore the page shows rooms and pictures and pools that do not belong to Alajuela hostel but to other hostels and just with a deep view you can see that. We were disappointed.

• 18th Mar 2014

The 'free' shuttle actually cost an EXTRA $5. The staff did not inform me that there is a bus NEXT DOOR to the hostel that takes you to the airport for $1! When another guest told me about this, I went and told reception and asked for my money back- WHICH THEY REFUSED TO GIVE ME! You couldn't pay by card, even though it said so on hostelworld and on the website! The bar on the top floor closed at 12am and was extremely noisy, so I did not sleep before my 20+ hour journey home. No free lockers.

It's a nice hostel however could use a community kitchen. Also, fumes from painting and renovation were very strong. Staff is super considerate and could not have been friendlier!

Helpful and friendly staff. Beds are uncomfortable. Americans are still loud and obnoxious wherever they go. Great morning coffee. My only real complaint is that I asked for the shuttle to pick me up after my flight, and I never found it. The staff said they were out looking for me, but I was standing exactly where they told me to wait for half an hour.

The bracelets given by the hostel to "ensure" that we had paid our room is a real pain in the ass. Also, there wasn't any water for 2 days in a row in our room, which was quite unpleasant. On the other hand, the restaurant at the top floor was awesome and the staff was really nice.

• 12th Mar 2014

The vibe here at ABP is well... unique. 90% of guests are leaving Costa the next day. Therefore most of them are pretty melancholy and not exactly trying to rage on Alajuela all night long. My point is: If looking for an easy stay in a dorm full of people who probably have a 7am flight and are most likely tucked in tight to the bunk at 9pm... This is the spot for you!!!! If you wanna party like an animal before you leave CR, stay in San Jose at Galilleo or CRBackpackers, party & $20 cab it!

Your web page says you receive a free drink on arrival which is not true. It is on the what we offer section.. I showed it to your staff who said they would help and then just said no, we don't offer that... Misleading.. I would not go back. We also had a bed added to te room at 10 pm when everyone was sleeping when there as at least 4 other empty dorms. This was rude and unnecessary

• 2nd Mar 2014

I booked with this hostel over 2 weekends. On both occasions, upon arriving at the hostel I was told they had overbooked and was moved to a larger dorm. When this happened the second time I asked for a discount and was offer approx US$2 off the room. I didn't think this was appropriate compensation considering this happened twice. Staff were also not very helpful with providing directions/information.

The room had a drain in the middle of the bathroom that emitted a smelly odor. There was a big dead roach on the floor in the bathroom. These issues bothered us. The staff was very friendly at check-in and when we checked out. There was a lot of noise around 5 am that woke us up and kept us up.,

• 28th Feb 2014

You couldn't ask for a nicer safer or facility.

• 27th Feb 2014

This was my 3rd stay with the hostel and first time booking a private instead of the dorm. The bathroom remodel is so much nicer however the floors were not clean. I wiped up the floors myself with one of the towels in the room and it easily came clean. The bed was comfortable. Was nice to have the elevator working again. Best part is the convenience of the airport shuttle. Its a good place to stay whenever arriving or leaving Costa Rica via San Jose. Was nice to have internet in the room.

• 26th Feb 2014

Ordered a pizza in the restaurant (Very good) but got over the top hassle when staff member saw we were drinking our own beer. .We asked if we could take our meal away but not allowed . We were prepared to leave our beer in their fridge for the duration of our meal but staff refused to co operate. Other guests had the same problem while we were there. For gods sake the place is a hostel , not a 4 star hotel. If they want to Implement this stupid rule , put a sign up.

• 12th Feb 2014

we booked for. twin room, given room with 1 queen size bed when told reception I was with daughter and specifically needed 2 beds , was told all full, I then asked why then did system sell me a twin room ?? then say hour later 2 men opened or door with key card, they had been given same room, not good enough

unfriendly and unhelpful staff. the free airport shuttle is a joke. also, breakfast was not available at 7am as promised since the chef regularly sleeps in....

• 8th Feb 2014
  • Switzerland

I can't really tell much about this hostel because I came late at night (directly from the airport) and left early in the morning. 4 Bed Dorm Room was nice, free Shuttle Service was fast and good. 15 $ per night is absolutely okay. I can reccomend this hostel, when you don't want to spend much money and when you are happy with a nice little place to sleep. Thanks!

• 29th Jan 2014