Alajuela Backpackers Reviews

Alajuela right side of National Monument Juan Sant, 4th Ave , 4th ST,infront of parque de los ninos, Alajuela, Costa Rica

I read reviews about poor staff before I booked but booked anyway for its close proximity and free shuttle to the airport. Upon arrival we had to wait 4 hours even though the room was empty to check in, upon check in we also asked to reserve a spot for the morning shuttle to the airport as it said on the board to book the day before however he (Andrew to be exact) said no need to book just turn up 15 mins before. Came down next morning 30 mins before to be told we had to pay for our own taxi!!!

Hostel was nice and in good location to airport and bus station, but staff weren't overly friendly or helpful. Booked this hostel mainly for the airport pick up, but unfortunately the shuttle did not arrive and we had to take a taxi. The hostel did cover the cost of the taxi for us, but a little inconvenient when arriving and searching for the shuttle (luckily someone lent us their phone to place a call to the hostel). Decent location for those looking for a place to stop over from the airport.

Good beds, good location. Sadly very much lacking in soul. There's not much space to relax in as the lounge is only open for breakfast or dinner. Staff were a bit brusque I felt - didn't show me round the hostel at all, say where my room was or what number it was clearly! The wifi barely worked and bathrooms were still dirty by 2pm. Nice roof top area when open with decently priced meals. A fine place for the night but not ideal if you have a day in Alajuela. airport shuttle service was good.

We really liked the location and the staff were nice. The longer term luggage storage is really great as is the airport shuttle. We couldn't get the wifi to really connect the whole time though except on an older phone. The place is really clean, but oddly a lot of roaches.

AC was out of order Impossible to open the windows Bathroom poorly clean

I've never met such rude and unfriendly hostel staff! When I mentioned that the A/C wasn't working in our room, I was told that I should leave if I complained. Never mind that the bathrooms were dirty, that the wifi didn't work, that the lockers were tiny (too small for a tablet or larger camera) and that there wasn't a decent common area - but the staff members didn't smile once, were very unhelpful and sometimes a bit aggressive - not exactly pura vida.

Great staff and helpful for directions and tours

I splurged on this hostel for its close proximity to the airport and their free shuttle to the airport. My flight was at 6:30am so I signed up for the 4:10am shuttle. No one told me I had to be in the lobby 10 minutes early. So I got there at 4:10 exactly. However the shuttle had already left. There were only 2 people signed up for the 4:10am shuttle and they ¨couldn´t wait¨. The man at the desk was completely unapologetic, and I then had to pay for a $3,000 taxi to go less than a mile.

• 29th Jul 2015

My room wasn't very clean. I killed 3 cockroaches in one evening, 2 which were crawling on my bed. The bathroom was a bit grotty and worn (I went for the superior 4 bed dorm) with no cover on the toilet roll holder and a pile of dust and dirt in it. The restaurant bar area is nice with great views and tasty well priced food. This makes a nice option instead of going into San Jose if you are going to/ from the airport. However the room standard isn't great. With the top bunks v high and unsafe

Stayed here on both our first night and last night in CR. We met some really fun people at the rooftop bar the first night but on our last night it was much more mellow. The atmosphere can range from really fun to pretty quiet but it's close to the airport, bus stops and the central market plus it comes with a free welcome drink at check in

The hostel is right in the middle of Alajuela and very close to the main street with a lot of shops and restaraunts. The shuttle from the hostel to the airport is free. I stayed in one of the single rooms and it was huge with a nice bed and ensuite bathroom, however the shower only had COLD water which was disappointing. The rooftop bar is small but has a really cool view of the Central Valley. The atmosphere is pretty non-existent, but it is perfect for staying close to the airport.

Great place for airport drop off / pick up

Perfectly located in the center of town. Quiet. Nice restaurant. Traveling w kids and was great. We would go there again.

• 15th Jul 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

This hostel was great. Nice location to airport

Ideal hostel for first or last nights in Costa Rica. Clean, nice view from bar and shuttle is very handy.

I was disappointed that the supposed airport shuttle was actually a man looking for a taxi for me. I received a mail saying I would find the shuttle at a precise location, but it was not there and instead of that the man was waiting for me in front of the exit, and I did not see him at first. It was at night, I was alone and I did not feel very safe at that moment. My stay at the hostel was good after that and I would recommend it to other people.

• 19th Jun 2015

Great pit stop before flying out of SJO. Roof top bar/restaurant was a great place to hang out, the breakfast was really good. Shared bathrooms weren't very clean, but otherwise a good place to stay for a night.

Great hostel for spending a night near the airport, it's only three minutes away and the free shuttle service is very nice. The bar has a beautiful view of the city. Can be loud if your room faces the street. Very clean. No good spaces to really hang out though. It is a convenient hostel.

A kitchen would be awesome!

• 20th May 2015

Great restaurant/bar, pretty cool building. Friendly receptionist, but made us wait an hour for our room because check in time is not until 2pm. Seemed unnecessary to make us wait, as the room was obviously available. Perfect location near the airport. The early morning airport shuttle was very helpful. Room was average, a bit dirty... one thin blanket on bed, lots of hair clogging shower drain. But the hot water worked. Overall, good enough for a night coming into or leaving Costa Rica.