Albergue & Hostal del Glaciar Libertador - HI Reviews

Avda Libertador 587, El Calafate, Argentina

Hostel is clean, short walk to town and good wifi. However, there is no security (everyone in the room must share one key so you can't really lock the door at night if people aren't back) and the underfloor heating is on constantly, even in the middle of summer. No cutlery in the kitchen (you can rent it) and no soundproofing (very noisy). Pretty expensive for what you get, but El Calafate is very pricey in itself.

Brilliant hostel, a huge kitchen and eating area which was great. Super helpful staff who were really kind when we suddenly needed to change the length of our stay and wish we could have stayed for longer! Only thing is the wifi which can drop, though as El Calafate only has one provider I imagine this isn't uncommon (all the cafes have it though!)

The person working the front desk during the day for the bulk of our stay was incredibly helpful, she got us an airport shuttle, gave us a great guide to the town and was all around super helpful and friendly. The hostel is beautiful and everything else was perfectly great! Thanks!

• 30th Jan 2016

friendly staff and good facilities. Shame about the lack of atmosphere, hard to meet young people like ourselves as the place is overrun by over 50s, maybe an age restriction would help.

Excellent staff, really went above and beyond. Shame about the lack of atmosphere, hard to meet young people like ourselves as the place is overrun by over 50s, maybe an age restriction would help. Hostel seems to take commission on tours, tour prices slightly higher than available elsewhere so shop around if you have time.

We very much enjoyed our stay at the hostel with the exception of them not allowing us to hang our clothes outside to dry. This is a bit excessive in my opinion, as their laundry service takes 24 hours to complete. We were not the only ones bothered by this new policy that was posted all over the walls during our stay.

• 24th Jan 2016

Warm and friendly staff. Very accommodating. Would only ask that the staff follow up on the hostel's No Smoking policy. Some patrons were smoking on all three notes that I stayed there

• 22nd Jan 2016

Massive hostel with no atmosphere. Understand that it's a hiking town and not for partying, but at least have a common area. Staff were fairly rude. When I arrived he didn't even get off the seat and take me for a tour. It took me 10mins to find my room as there are 3 floors and around 30+ rooms.

Great hostel with excellent staff and comfortable beds. The bunks are a little small for anyone who is taller, but we had an excellent stay and recommend.

Nice place, well equipped and located. Personnel is not the warmest but fulfill the job.

• 13th Jan 2016
  • Argentina

The receptionist was quite rude. The hostel has a standoff attitude towards its clientele.

• 12th Jan 2016

Nice clean and plenty of space in the room. I enjoyed my stay there!

Good location (just a few blocks away from supermarket, shopping street and restaurants). Helpful staff and good cleanliness. The atmosphere is quiet, mainly backpackers going to bed early and waking up early, for hiking or other excursions in the area.

Very clean, peaceful, beds very comfortable, good breakfast and strong help from the staff to book the excursions

The lower bed has too little space. I knocked myself almost every time I got up. Internet was very difficult to get in, but it works okay once you get in. Kitchen is clean and they have enough supplies. Hotel is quite far from the main street, but still walkable. Hot water works well. Have lots of tour option. Laundry service is 150 pesos for 1 bag and you get it in the afternoon if you give it to them in the morning.

Great place to stay. Clean rooms. Cozy beds and a great dining area for meeting people. Very close to town. Just a short walk. Nice bakery just a few blocks down that is a better deal for breakfast than what he hostel offers. Bring your own silverware or be prepared to rent it from the hostel. The kitchen is clean and well equipped.

• 23rd Dec 2015

Nothing really bad about this place except it has zero atmosphere! Because there's wifi everywhere nobody really hangs out in a common area which is a bummer. If yer into that sort of thing maybe try to find a different place. If you want a quiet place where you can keep to yourself this is the spot. Staff is helpful but sometimes it can be a long wait because they get busy. Really nice kitchen. Easy to walk to town center, stores, etc..

Good place do stay. Good staff and good atmosphere. They don't offer free transfer from the bus terminal, as they say on websites.

A big hostel, but like everything in Calafate, expensive for what you get. Breakfast was shockingly expensive. Kitchen was a mess because people didn't clean up after themselves. You get given a bundle of sheets when you arrive and have to make your own bed. But beds were comfortable, staff friendly, and showers hot.

My friend and I got bumped to a two-person private with an en-suite bathroom fo' free!! Can't beat that. Very clean hostel and better than most of the other ones in town. Would definitely stay here again if I came back.