Albergue & Hostal del Glaciar Libertador - HI Reviews

Avda Libertador 587, El Calafate, Argentina

Worse hostel I've stayed in over the last 2 months of travelling. Dirty linen, didn't feel very safe or secure, and when we asked for help booking a taxi to the airport the staff told us no and that they would only help book their own shuttle service. I would avoid this place if possible.

Pretty big hostel, good set up. Beds are a little cracky and unstable. Spacious and good facilities. Can help you with booking tours

This hostel was okay. The front desk folks were friendly and the room was okay. It is just on the east end of town a little ways from the main strip. The beds were really rickety though and I felt sorry for the lass who had to sleep below me! In short, a good hostel but nothing greatly remarkable.

Good hostel, a bit of a walk from the main drag. Not much of the atmosphere, but dorm was great, clean and with underfloor heating!

Large hostel. Liked the fact that ensuite baths in dorm rooms were separate shower, toilet, and sink. Means three people could get ready at once. Great design. Sells tours but you can often get things done better for cheaper yoruself. Not much shared atmosphere as people were just going in and out. I have been in other hostels in patagonia where people were going in an out but there was still a home feel. Staff were fine,but nothing exceptional. Rooms not locked really but seem safe

Functional. But for a similar price other hostels provide breakfast, better facilities and a friendlier vibe. The bunk bed I slept on was rickety and I thought it was going to fall down on us when I was getting up there. The kitchen has a few leaking gas range tops (not proper stoves) and scant battered tin cookware and spatulas. You have to leave a deposit to get silverware. Luggage storage is not secure so bring a lock if you want to leave things for a few days.

• 6th Jan 2015

We are a couple in our 30's who no longer stay at hostels. However, this place is the acceptation. It was fantastic. Clean, room was quiet (away from reception), breakfast had eggs! Eggs! At a hostel! Floors were very warm too. great place to stay.

The wifi was intermittent. The staff didn't seem interested in helping us and could barely crack a smile.

After reading the comments before we stayed there we can tell you the breakfast has improved tremendously. There are eggs each morning and a full table of various foods. As well, there were plenty of staff at the front desk. We never had to wait long for help with our various questions. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• 3rd Jan 2015
  • Couple, 41+

If you stay in the dorms you don't get breakfast. Yet you pay more then most hostels in town. The staff are nice

the staff was so helpful and freindly. it's easy to book tours at the reception. super informative. great stay!

I like the space that they have inside, and the kitchen is good... The place is near everything you need in the city, and they help you with the activities...

Loved this hostel! Incredibly friendly, helpful, patient staff - and a great place to stay in El Calafate.

• 26th Dec 2014

Really great place. Good to remember the breakfast is organised with a voucher (I didn't know at first time as I'm used to book hotels with breakfast) but indeed there is a kitchen for the guests and they can prepare their own food (La Anonima is not so far from the hostel).

staff wasn't always the nicest, i waited couple of times up to 10 minutes waiting for someone. Hostel is quite nice, very big, location is ok, bed were fair for hostels, i guess the prices are aligned with El Calafate = expensive. overall ok -

Excellent place to spend some nights, with kindest and efficient staff; to remark Pablo's diligence and helpfulness. Clean, quite and confortable room.

• 6th Dec 2014
  • Spain

really enjoyed this hostel, stayed here and at the pioneros hostel whilst in el calafate. For space, price, location, cleanliness and facilities I think this one was better than pioneros.

Only 500m walk to the Center (Post Office an Bus Station). Most important: You have to book your Glaciartours more than 3 days in advance.

I even stayed the night there because the staff was very rude. I arrived close to midnight tired and the girl at the desk reception was more concerned about leaving out than suit me.

Ignore the reviews about the bad free breakfast, they've stopped giving it altogether. Charging a deposit just to use cutlery in the kitchen adds to the big and impersonal feel of the hostel. Front desk understaffed, meaning long wait to speak to anyone each time (checking in, hiring knives, forks etc). Clothes damaged by laundry service. Good wi-fi though.