America del Sur Hostel Reviews

Calle Puerto Deseado 153, El Calafate, Argentina

The staff has been super nice

• 30th Jan 2015

Staff were particularly helpful. Excellent.

The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. The hostel have all the excursions clearly explained on boards in the reception and organise everything for you. The beds were good, the view is incredible. Only slight annoyance was the slow internet.

WARNING: As a place to stay it's fine, but don't book anything with them! I booked a bus ticket, was given a voucher and told to exchange it for the ticket at the bus station in my next destination. This was incorrect and they refused to refund me! They stopped replying to my emails and refused to let me speak to a manager. Extremely disappointed and out of pocket! Don't risk it. Gives a very bad impression of Argentina! Never happened in 10 years of travelling through 65 countries!

Hello!....unluckily you forgot to exchange your ticket at the bus terminal. Even though, we solved your problem 10 minutes later ( the ticket was for 2 days after )...but, at that time you bought another ticket and didn't wait for us to solve it. At the time we told you that it wss solved, the only thing you had to do is to go back to the bus terminal for them to give your money back for the second ticket,..but you didn´t. So, actually, you decided to loose your money. We're really sorry.

Cool hostel within walking distance to town. Helpful staff, friendly visitors and easy to book tours through. Not the cleanest as my shower was pretty grimey. Also, during the high season, they are very busy which means the staff is stretched a little thin.. Be sure to book tours & bus tickets in advance!

Great hostel and staff. The main lounge has a great view overlooking the lake and the rooms were very clean. They were able to also book us the Moreno Glacier tour. Would stay here again and highly recommend!

Dear hostel staff, check email at least once a day, please. Thank you.

I had stayed at the America del Sur in Buenos Aires earlier this year, so when I saw there was another one in El Calafate I had to book it! I was not disappointed. Once again, America del Sur proved to be a great place. The staff is always helpful and can book all sorts of activities for you. The atmosphere of the place is very inviting and people end up coming from many of the other hostels in town just to hang out at this one. Great place to meet other travelers. Security, laundry, etc. great.

Fantástico

Staff especially Nathalie very helpful...

• 21st Dec 2014

Great stay and very helpful staff. Cool little lounge room with a good view. A little out of town, about a 5 min walk from the high street. Staff were great giving an awesome overview of stuff to do! Highly recommend the kayak experience in the icebergs!

Very good hostel. Very clean and the staff was really helpful.

Overall, an excellent hostel to stay in El Calafate. Clean and comfortable. Staff are very knowledgeable about tourist information regarding the surrounding areas and are ever so willing to help. WIFI is only accessible in the social areas (which may be a good thing). Good breakfast options. A tad pricey but I think that applies to everywhere in Patagonia.

cool place, cool staff, great place to go...

The rooms are small, reasonably clean but very, very basic. The bed was very uncomfortable. The noise from other guests can keep you up till late in the night. Given the location (far from everything in town) and the price we paid, I would not recommend this hostel.

• 29th Nov 2014

Lovely hostel, great views over the lake, very help staff. Nice warm rooms (a little too warm one night actually). Interesting breakfast. My one complaint is that is was described as "near to the bus station" - I do not consider a 15 minute walk "near" It's not that I'm lazy, I think nothing of a 15 minute walk, but for me this hostel was literally just a place to sleep between buses - I arrived at midnight and left at 8am so the extra walk cut into my much needed limited sleep time.

• 24th Nov 2014

Great hostel with beautiful view! very friendly and helpful staff.

A lot of money for such a small room in the dorm. Positive is the big common area, but the location of the hostel is not that good. I would recommend choosing another hostel with better rates

The rooms are comfortable, beds and pillows very clean and make you sleep as you do at home. The location is not so close to the centre as they say, but the city is small and make eveything closer. Youy can buy all the day tours by the reception and it makes all easier.

Long walk from the bus station and the downtown area, loud music played all the time and staff usually helpful but sometimes difficult to talk to. The facilities are fine, it has a nice eating area and kitchen, and breakfast is good. Rooms are clean and well maintained. The place is pricey although this seems to be common at El Calafate.