Arugam Bay YMCA Reviews

SVH, Arugam Bay, PottuVille, Arugam Bay, Sri Lanka

When we first arrived I wanted to leave, but I'm glad we stuck it out as I met some really cool people and had good fun. The bathroom is the worst I have ever experienced, so bad I showered at the beach and used the toilet at the siam view bar that is joined to it. The beds were comfy but no top sheets were provided. The staff are very unhelpful. On the plus side it had air con (tho it leaked a lot) a fridge, draws to lock belongings under the bed.

Thanks! That you stayed with us. We are obviously new, working hard to improve this little place. Soon, we assure you: It will be near perfect....For just $8/ night in a/c

Not what it says on the tin. Walked in and walked out, took us a few minutes to find it as its sort of a building site, the photo of the dorm room is a generic one, not from the hostel. It doesn't have two separate dorms, it is one large room. No security and no staff to be found.

An absolute rip off - it is not a hostel it is a room in a building site. There is no reception, anyone can just walk in off the beach into the room so security is extremely poor. DO NOT USE THIS HOSTEL - it is in no way associated with the YMCA, they have made up some acronym to take advantage of people booking online who haven't seen the place. There are so many better places to stay. We turned up and immediately left and found somewhere else.

At first, It was very confusing,cause the "YMCA" is in fact part of the Siam View Hoteland there is no front desk anywhere...Overall, we had a good experience at this hostel,cause you get to meetgood people in the dorm and everyone was so friendly.The price was the lowest we could find in high season (july-august).We really loved the hot showers there and the AC, wich was a real luxuary after spending 2 months in India;)!The location is really great, it's few second from the beach!

I cancelled my booking as soon as I arrived at this property as it is really not as it seems from the photos/description. The dorm room I was shown was nothing like the dorms pictured, and some facilities listed did not exist. The external bathroom in the half constructed building out the back was pretty filthy. The photos of the people partying give you the idea that this would be a good social place for a solo traveler, but they were not taken in the hostel. Plenty of better options in Arugam.

YMCA was a real good experience . Thanks for all PEACE.

• 3rd Jun 2013