Betel Box Backpacker Hostel Reviews

200 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore, Singapore

Staff were nice and friendly . mattresses looked quite old and other guests were quite reserved.

Everything is good, will recommend for friend who want to go Singapore

No wifi in room and price spikes to 22 singapore dollars if you want to extend. Annoying that they didn't inform me that the price would change from 14 to 22 singapore dollars over night even though I told them I wanted to extend my stay. Unfriendly staff, not more helpful then they have to be. Unsocial atmosphere and it's pretty far from the city. Security is good though and wifi is fast in the chillout area. Okay place to stay for a night or two.

Thank you for your honest feedback. Our regular rates are clearly stated at the Reception Desk and the price that you paid for on your first night was the online promotional rate. Online promotional rates return to the regular rates every time we have filled up a certain quota. According to our staff that tended to you, he did mention that the lower rate you paid for was an online promotional rate. You then approached another staff the following day to confirm your extension, when the online rate was no longer available. We sincerely apologise if this was not explained comprehensibly to you. As for Wifi, our connection is focused in the Common Room as we would want our guests to be well-rested in the dorms without the interruption of avid internet users. We hope to see your smile again as when you left the hostel upon check-out. :) -Tini

Nice place, cool location, decent price for Singapore.

Amazing and welcoming staff. Had a 14hr layover and booked only one hour before arriving. About 30 minutes by public bus from the airport and easy to find. We had to wake up at 4AM and a staff member was up to help us with breakie and haling a taxi back to the airport. Not very social but a good place to rest.

Thank you for taking the time to write us this review. We are very happy to know that you found us with ease and that you were pleased with our team's service. As for the social bit, you might have arrived at a time when pretty much everybody else was out and about painting the town red. It could have been a different scenario if you were here for a couple of days or managed to catch the rest before they headed out. A perfect reason to come back then! :) -Tini

Great hostel, friendly staff, loved all the signs :) I read some comments elsewhere about security but if you're a smart traveler and bring your own padlock you'll have no problems. We picked this hostel during our day-long layover in Singapore due to its convenient location near the EW7 metro stop. It's a quick trip to/from the airport.

Betel Box helped me a lot! My luggage got lost at the airport... I arrived at the hostel at 4 am, they were super friendly and helpful. They offered me a snack in the night, I must have looked quite exhausted. The next morning they made calles to the airline on my behalf and offered that I could get some more rest before I had to catch my next flight in the evening. One more thing: they have the fastest internet I ever experianced in a hostel. Thanks so much!! S.

The hostel was fine, and has potential. The problem was the people staying there. I thought someone had just died they were so morbid. Just bad timing I suppose.

Thank you so much for your interesting feedback. We are sorry that you arrived on a Saturday night at a time when 95% of our guests were already out painting the town red. In a city that never sleeps such as Singapore, the reasons to stay out definitely outweigh the reasons to stay in, as we have witnessed for the past 13 years running this hostel. And as for the supposed "morbid" atmosphere, it was just some of the guys watching a seriously melancholic movie on Netflix. The next time you pop by, we will let you pick the theme!! :) -Tini

I had good times staying at BetelBox. The staffs were friendly and the service was superb. They served "early" breakfast at 5AM because I had morning flight where we had bread, jams and fruits, all free. The hostel is also near East Coast Park. I recommend to check the park at night. It has beautiful beach with serene waves sound and you could have "sleeping-under-stars" experience. The hostel is located near malls, restaurants, minishops, and foodstalls. And last, it has the BEST lounge ever.

• 7th Jan 2016
  • Indonesia

Uncle was such a great welcome! He was very accommodating and helpful. I wasn't sure of the Terminal my flight was leaving from and he quickly searched it and saved me the trouble.

• 5th Jan 2016
  • Fiji

Thank you so much for taking time to write us a review. We are very happy to know that Uncle Tong has been delightfully helpful while you were here. We emphasise on having our team of staff intensively trained to provide assistance to their best capacity and it definitely is nice to see that it made your stay here a pleasant one. See you again some time in the future!! :) -Tini

Stopped through for the night during a long layover at the airport. It was conveniently located between the airport and the gardens by the bay,which I had wanted to visit for a while. easy enough to get to by bus, but we just took a taxi back (half because it was early morning for our next flight, and half because we werent sure how to grab the bus back. Taxi is an ok price though.) Have to hoof it up stairs though, so not the best option if you have luggage, but for backpacking would be good.

Great place to lay you're head but the dorms have a lot of beds and few bathrooms. It takes a few minute to get to public transportation to take you downtown, but was perfect for my 24 layover in Singapore.

Thank you for your honest feedback. It is nice to know that you had a good rest at our hostel. Showers/toilets are located at every floor (some may be hidden from plain sight) and getting around from our hostel is made easy by the various bus services found in the neighbourhood, apart from the MRT network. We hope you enjoyed your time in Singapore and will be back soon for more fun! :) -Tini

Friendly folk, and good communal shared space helps make a friendly atmosphere. Also a good location if you're heading to parkrun-if you're feeling lazy, the hostel has bikes you can borrow to get there.

Thank you so much for this awesome review. We are elated to know that our Common Room is still a favourite with most of our guests as it simply is the best spot to congregate and meet fellow travellers. Fitness buffs may work out at our professional gym (for free!!) or go for a refreshing jog/cycle at the beach/park nearby or just have a cheat day and explore the various yummy hawker centres in the neighbourhood. We hope to see you here again! :) -Tini

Good place to stay for the budget travel

• 24th Dec 2015

Thank you so much for choosing us while you were in Singapore. Safe travels wherever you go! :) -Tini

Location is good, in a nice area with lots of food places nearby, close to bus stops and train stations. Staff were helpful and ready to give advice and recommendations. The common area was very nice. I'd feel comfortable here having a few beers or reading my book. Good place to meet other travellers.

Valued for money. It was my first stay to stay in 20 people mixed dorm because of it offers the cheapest deal. A little bit of "culture shock", I like the backpacker hostel except for the small bathroom.

The room is hot, the toilet less and un manage, no plug sockets to charge phone no and no personal lamps in 20 dormitory room. The location is difficult to find however the staff is friendly and helpful.

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. Our dorm aircons are turned off 11am-7pm to conserve energy which allows us to open the windows daily, letting in fresh air and sunlight in to deodorise the dorms. Toilets/showers are located at every floor and our cleaner does a systematic thorough daily cleaning (from 10am so as not to wake guests up). Power sockets are limited in dorms but are in abundance in our Common Room to encourage interaction amongst travellers/backpackers. :) - Tini

A marvellous place to stay in Singapore, so much so that as I write this I am still here! Everything is superb except perhaps the location but the positives more than make up for this. A handy bus stop and TWO MRT stations at the end of the street, together with engaging staff who can give you directions to anywhere your heart desires make this a non-issue. This place scores 10/10 on all the important parameters. If you're coming soon, you'll even score Christmas dinner. Your home away from home

Great little hostel with an easy bus ride from/to the airport. The place is like a tourist info area! Loads of guides books and background knowledge to be shared by the staff.

Really enjoyed our stay here, bus stop right outside to get you to city centre. Had a TV, Wii, couches and tables and computers. Staff super helpful and the beds were comfy! We stayed in a 20 bed dorm (the biggest) and had no problems with noise, air con worked well, 4 showers on our floor, 2 toilets. Free breakfast (toast and tea/coffee) We would stay here again, thank you!