Betel Box Backpacker Hostel Reviews

200 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore, Singapore

Such a welcoming place! The staff is so friendly and helpful. The dorms are ok, beds comfortable, fair for the price you pay.

• 12th Aug 2014
  • El Salvador

This is the first hostel I've stayed at that makes me feel like I'm at home! I keep coming back here because all the staff there remember me by name and we sometimes just sit together having meals and watch movies like a group of old friends in the common room. Yes, the common room is one of the best things there! Late night supper parties, horror movies and gossip sessions! I miss the friendly people there already...

• 26th Jul 2014
  • Singapore

Was a great stay at betel box. I have been through Sinhapore many times, as a transit to other places, and always stay at this place. It's got very informed staff who can provide all directions and advice on your stay in Singapore, combined with friendly social vibe in the common area with movies and pool table. The location is near many markets, and local food options. Its a short walk to bus that takes you through town, or a little longer walk to MRT. Best part of Hostel is it's food tours.

• 21st Jul 2014

This hostel was not good. The staff wasn't very helpful and they made me feel uneasy the very first day of my stay. The people who were staying there were of low standards too. One room had 20 beds and Aircon wasn't effective. It was quite far from the MRT. I couldn't stay there longer, I checked out the very next day, though I booked it for 3 days. They even didn't provide adapter to be used in my room as they wanted me to recharge my laptop/mobile in the lounge area only.

Investigations done. Staff spent over 15 mins on introductions of what is there to see and do. MRT 15mins walk, 5min bus away. Charging of electronics devices in common room as it is staffed 24 hours to maintain security and fire safety. Many electrical adapters available for use in common room. He chats up female guests and as a result they do not get along with him. Guest chose 20 bed dorm for the low price while 6 and 8 bed dorms available. Air con serviced regularly and set at 24 degrees

Here I appreciate the interior design and atmosphere, especially the staircase I went after the entrance common room. In fact, the location is far from the MRT station and bus stop. There are Malay village(like a night market), great places of dining. The staff members are helpful and nice. They provide map showing around the hostel and way to National Museum by bus. Some DVDs can lend and play here. The wireless internet connection is good but limited in the common room.

It was a decent place to stay, but limit for the price / quality factor. (Couple traveling, we found a much nicer, better amenities for cheaper on agoda.

It's a basic hostel. I can say I got a bargain since Singapore is super costly. Walking distance to the coast (East Coast Park), one of the best, free things to go to in Singapore. Rooms are a bit basic, but the common area is nice. Very accommodating staff too, especially uncle Thong.

I love staying here and can;t want to come back

Great place for catch your meal.

• 30th Mar 2014