Betel Box Backpacker Hostel Reviews

200 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore, Singapore

This hostel is not clean at all, everywhere is full of mold, you have to change floor to get a locker because people are using many lockers so you don't have any locker anymore in your room. Some washroom's water heaters are broken, same for toilet door. The staff put cool messages everywhere but they don't hesitate to charge you 1$20 for a pair of classic ear plugs! And around a dollar for printing my Visa paper for Vietnam... Also the poorest breakfast of all hostels I've been up to now!

First of all, thank you for noticing our cool messages. We sincerely apologise for the mould on the wall of the bunk that your girlfriend chose for you to sleep in when she came earlier than you. That wall has been fixed and painted a few months ago but it seems the mould issue has yet to be resolved. We have engaged a new contractor to rectify this. As for the lack of lockers in your dorm, it is beyond our control if any of our guests choose to break the rule and use more than one locker as per our locker usage regulation. A bigger signage of the locker usage regulation has been placed on all lockers now. We are sorry that our spare lockers located half a level higher than the dorm that you reserved has caused you much distress. If you had voiced your dissatisfaction at that point of time, we would have made it our responsibility to hunt down those guests that were using more than one locker. We checked all our water heaters at all levels upon seeing your comment about them. None of them were malfunctioning. Except for one, but it was because some guest had taken the water heater plug out to charge their mobile phone. Again, beyond our control. If you had informed us about the malfunctioning water heater, we could have done a quick check and either call the repair man to fix the water heater, or request that guest to charge their gadget at the reception desk. The toilet door in the dorm that you were staying in during your three-day stay with us was found to be broken one fateful night. We could not detect who broke it and why they broke it but we immediately called the repair man the next morning to come and got him to fix a completely new door instead of changing just the knob. Our trusty and hygienic individually wrapped ear plugs cost S$1.20 per pair which is much cheaper than most other places. You did not voice your dissatisfaction when you purchased them. We could have given you a complimentary pair if you had mentioned that they were too costly. You requested for the printing of 2 sets of a 3-page document (6 pages in total) during breakfast one morning and that amounted to S$1.80. The printing cost of S$0.30 per piece is pretty standard in Singapore. Again, you did not voice your dissatisfaction when you made payment. We could have given you complimentary print-outs of your visa into Vietnam if you had mentioned that they were too costly. For breakfast, we offer unlimited servings of 3 different kinds of bread, 7 different kinds of jams/spreads, 5 different kinds of fresh fruits as well as unlimited flow of coffee and tea (all day all night). Sometimes you only see one jar of jam on the breakfast table. That is usually because we have guests who take the whole jar/s of the other jams/spreads with them to their preferred table/s. But they usually are alright with letting others have the jar/s back when asked nicely. Last of all, we would like to welcome you back in the near future and hope that it would be a better experience for you. Thank you for choosing us during our special super-discounted period. We rarely have special discounts, but when we do, none of the regular freebies or perks is taken away.

The location of Betel Box Backpacker Hostel is very convenient. It is close to the food centre, east coast park and the MRT station. The staff is nice and patient enough to introduce the neighboring area and the hostel rules. I am able to leave my backpack and get it back at 10p.m. the day I check out. That's helpful for my travel! I will definitely come back when I visit Singapore again. Highly recommend!

• 21st May 2015
  • Hong Kong

Nice spacious rooms, could do with more toilets and showers, really liked the fact they served fruit for breakfast, not the best place to meet other Caucasian travellers as there are many locals and families staying here but apart from this would recommend this hostel :)

The minute i walked through the door at these hostel i immediately felt welcome. The staff are so friendly and helpful and very knowledgeable about the area. I would highly reccommend this hostel and am planning to stay there again next year

lovely place, good breakfast, great location....wifi is only accessible by common dining area....

Very helpful and friendly staff, good location for yummy local food. Facilities are limited, no bar or good socialising areas. They have a pool table but it was being used as a storage shelf...

Very good hostel for quite a cheap price. I recommend it :)

Value for money and the place has a village atmosphere in the city of Singapore.

• 13th Apr 2015
  • Malaysia

great place to be, had a quietly very pleasant atmosphere

Possesses what you need in a hostel, clean beds, good showers etc. but lacks a real atmosphere that you may find closer to the centre of Singapore. We picked it for its proximity to the airport (only a $13 taxi) and was exactly what we needed, but I wouldn't have stayed there longer were we looking to properly explore Singapore

Guests stayed in Singapore for just one night. While we are not a party hostel; we cater to true travellers looking to experience the real Singapore. Full house during their stay and had guests from over 10 different countries.

Really a great place. So many facilities !!! Big and pleasant common area. It is the first time I visit an hostel with a deal with a fitness center close to the hostel, very good idea !!!

Very pleasant place. Clean, airy dorm room with good AC. Most staff helpful. Lots to entertain yourself with in common area.

Very well run.

Excellent atmosphere. I like its cozy environment which is lobby area and I extended my stay with Betel Box.

The only drawback is the location. If access to Betel Box from Paya Lebar MRT. It takes up more than 20min to reach. However, it is wise to take Bus 33 from MRT station like Clarke Quay, Bugis, Lavender or Kallang to Bus Stop of 82151, Bef Joo Chiat Pl (21.8km from bus reader). This will be close to the hostel. Just like HOME to everyone, simple breakfast come with various jam, serve with fruits, and you can make your drinks ANYTIME. Spacious lobby, stayed in spacious 20 bed dorm, great service.

Including fruits (bananas, oranges and apples) in the breakfast is a plus, I liked it. The think I did not like is that we can use hostel's computers only 30 mins. for free. And if we want more time we have to pay 1 SGD every 30 mins.

Computers are meant to be shared with everyone which is why its only free S$1 per half an hour. Wifi is totally free all the time.

Nice place. However hostel stays in Singapore are not the same as the rest of SE Asia. People stay in them and then go to work etc. So it's a completely different vibe. Also I stayed in a 20 person dorm and was the only female. This was fine but bring earplugs - lots of snoring!

Investigation done. Hostel was almost full during her stay. Her room has 5 other ladies staying. Only 2 guests in her dorm were working. Guest only stayed for 1 night.

Had an enjoyable experience at this hostel. Only thing that brings down the rating was location. The hostel is just too far from the city centre, and a 15 minute walk to the closest MRT station. Everything else was great.

The staff were amazing. Couldn't help you enough. The food tour was the highlight of our Singapore holiday. It was a walking tour mixed with history, culture and tons of food. A must do!

Great overall experience! I need I be close to the airport so so perfect! Staff were every friendly!